RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: 7mm-08 Rem abd RL-26 loads???

7mm-08 Rem abd RL-26 loads???

I have load data from Alliant for RL-26 powder in 243 Win and 308 Win cartridges. Since 7mm-08 Rem is right in the middle of those, there SHOULD BE a load for it, but there isn't one listed on the Alliant web site. Do any of you boys have any loading experience with the 7mm-08 and RL-26 specifically with the 140 grain bullets and if so, please share it with me here. THANKS!!!
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

Boolit Master

What weight bullets are listed for the .243 and .308? I would think that a 140 might be too light for the slow RL-26 powder. If I was trying to use up some RL26, it'd probably be with a 162-175 grain bullet. Is the .243 load a 100 grain? and is the .308 a 180-200 grain?

Brad.

Sorry, not much help, but I think a 140 7mm08 should use a more medium burn rate rifle powder. Not that you can't use it, but that I don't think RL26 will be optimum with a 140.

Boolit Master

There is no RL-26 load data for .308 on the website for me to compare to bullet weights. I don't even see RL-22 or RL-19 data for a .308 listed.

RL-19, RL-17, and RL-16 are the slowest powders I see listed for 7mm-08 and they are for the 162-175 grain bullets.

I do like the velocities that the .243 puts out with 100/105 grain bullets with the RL-26. Man, that is impressive.

Brad

I've been using RL-26 in a 243 with 100 grain bullets since RL-26 first came out with amazing results. Then I loaded it behind the Berger 105 grain bullets with the same result. Since the 7mm-08 is so close to the 243, I would think it should also wotk in it about as well as the 243
    Last edited by Black Prince; 05-05-2018 at 09:11 AM.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

Boolit Master

Even with a 175 grain bullet in the 7mm08, the 7mm08 requires a faster powder. The case capacity to bore diameter just isnt quite enough and doesn't compare to the 243 with heavy bullets. I think it'd be a waste of powder and you wouldn't get enough in the case to obtain the velocities you're trying to get.
    Give it a try with starting loads using rl19 or rl22 and work up. Just don't think you'll get where you want to go.

Thanks BK7. Actually, I will start with IMR 4350 in my load development for the 7mm-08 Rem, but since I have five pounds of RL-26 on hand, wondered if it would be appropriate. Your comments make a lot of sense and I appreciate your thoughts on it. After I cogitated on it, I agree with your statements. Of course, like most old reloaders, I have about 20 different powders here to use, but as you know, there isn't much information out about RL-26. I really don't even use it much in the 243 since IMR 4350 works extremely well for me in it. It also deliveres the best accuracy in my 338 Win Mag. So I keep 10 pounds of it on hand all the time since it is so versitle over a wide range of cartridges.

Once again, many thanks. We old guys need to stick together you know. I don't always know the right answer, but in order to get it, I need to ask the right question and you have answered it.

Boolit Master
    RL26 will be far too slow for the 7mm08. You’ll get low velocities, and lots of residues/unburned powder, and spotty accuracy.

IMR4350 gives impressive accuracy in the 7-08, but due to granule size/shape, velocities are slightly limited. IMR4350 is somewhat bulkier than H4350 or RL17.

RL17 is my favorite powder in the 7-08 by a large margin. Exceptional velocities and accuracy.

Thanks Goose. I may try that if the IMR 4350 does not meet my accuracy requirements, which will be high. I'll be shooting those loads in this

which is a Sako A-II. I am hoping that it shoots as good as it looks.
    Last edited by Black Prince; 05-08-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!