WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: So what's with the left handed Henrys?

Boolit Master

So what's with the left handed Henrys?

Was watching the old western channel on teevee last night when the show was interrupted by an commercial message from Henry Firearms.
    Narrated by Anthony Imperato himself, about half way through the ad there was a couple of guys shooting Henry leverguns that ejected shell out the left side! Who would have thunk it?

Find a market niche and fill it. Seems Imperato took the lesson to heart.

Limited niche. I shoot left handed and even use right handed bolts. I also shoot levers a lot because they are pretty much ambidextrous. While the left hand ejection might be something of an advantage or a safety issue, I have found resale of left handed guns to be somewhat limited so I have adapted to right handed rifles. The Winchester 94 was top ejection and the side ejection of a Mossberg 464 are pretty much either way. I suppose it might have an advantage for cowboy shooters or those that like semiautos, but I will stay with the standard rifles. If a lefty wants one great.

DP

Boolit Master
    I saw a rifle add yesterday that had a picture of a lever rifle with the loading gate on the left side. Thought is was a misprint. Maybe not.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master

I'm left handed and didn't know there was such a thing. I've never had a problem using regular leverguns. The ambi-nature of a lever action is why I liked them so much in the first place.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned
    To All,

Being a southpaw, I started shooting nothing but pump rifles & shotguns that are LH friendly.
    (Currently I have an even half-dozen Model 760 rifles from .244REM to 9.3x62mm & a Model 7615P carbine in 5.56NATO.)

Note: After 2+ years, I'm still looking for an "old school", corncob-style
    Model 760 in .257 Roberts.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 05-04-2018 at 06:35 PM. Reason: add

Boolit Master

all you southpaws don't get your hopes up.
    I think someone in the Henry marketing department has some 'splaining to do.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    I saw a rifle add yesterday that had a picture of a lever rifle with the loading gate on the left side. Thought is was a misprint. Maybe not.
    Some think the Colt Peacemaker is left handed because to load it you have to hold it in your left hand. Slows down reloading under extreme conditions. There have been reproduction mirror image Colts made because of that. I have a left master eye and shoot rifles and shotguns left handed but I am right handed. Shooting left handed makes more sense than some of the compensations I have seen. A double trigger SXS shotgun to me is left handed as a right handed person has to stick his fingers between triggers for the left barrel. I can slip trigger very fast and don't need to do that. I fish a lot with bait casting set ups and use "left hand" reels because I do not like to juggle the rod to the left hand after the cast and just reel with the left hand like most do with spinning reels.

In some cases what is left handed and right handed can be kind of hazy. I had a left handed bolt action and liked it but I still don't much care. I like a lever action because it is both handed. I used to build left handed flintlocks and percussion muzzle loaders as I feel there was a safety issue and the stocks were cast off a bit. I bought a Baikal O/U shotgun that had a right hand cast off and had to take a rasp to the stock to hit with it. Worlds simpler with straight stocks.

DP

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=northmn;4362482]Some think the Colt Peacemaker is left handed because to load it you have to hold it in your left hand. Slows down reloading under extreme conditions. There have been reproduction mirror image Colts made because of that. I have a left master eye and shoot rifles and shotguns left handed but I am right handed. Shooting left handed makes more sense than some of the compensations I have seen. A double trigger SXS shotgun to me is left handed as a right handed person has to stick his fingers between triggers for the left barrel.

Every Double trigger side by side gun I have seen has the front trigger offset to the left of the rear one - easy step back to fire the second - definitely a right handed setup - less the mericans built em inside out ??

The video image is reversed? The only reason I say that is that I have seen seemingly left handed SMLE rifles in movies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    all you southpaws don't get your hopes up.
    I think someone in the Henry marketing department has some 'splaining to do.
    southpaw here. no hopes are up.....at least for me. The right side feed seems real natural to me. I'd have to struggle to load on the port side. And as others have said, a SA revolver seems left-handed to me. I bought a left-handed bolt gun and it still seems a bit foreign to me.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master

My DAD had Roy Weatherby built him a pair of rifles in the early 1950's. Used CUSTOM MADE LEFT HAND MAUSER ACTIONS MADE IN BELGIUM. Told me later the action cost as much as the entire rifle build. I remember those rifles, the .375 had Express sights & a special Left-hand PACHMAYR mount built by ole August Pachmayr himself. GOOD LORD they were things of BEAUTY.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

[QUOTE=indian joe;4362548]
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    Some think the Colt Peacemaker is left handed because to load it you have to hold it in your left hand. Slows down reloading under extreme conditions. There have been reproduction mirror image Colts made because of that. I have a left master eye and shoot rifles and shotguns left handed but I am right handed. Shooting left handed makes more sense than some of the compensations I have seen. A double trigger SXS shotgun to me is left handed as a right handed person has to stick his fingers between triggers for the left barrel.

Every Double trigger side by side gun I have seen has the front trigger offset to the left of the rear one - easy step back to fire the second - definitely a right handed setup - less the mericans built em inside out ??
    All my SXS double triggers have the front trigger for the right barrel on the right side up front and then the rear trigger is positioned such that you can stick your finger between the trigger to fire the left barrel. Some actually had hinged triggers made as some people got skinned fingers from the recoil from the right front trigger. I have owned and shot a lot of SXS's and like them over other shotguns. On fixed choke shotguns the left barrel is a tighter choke. The front trigger on the right side is assumed to be used the most.

DP

I'm a lefty, In my life I have owned well over 1000 long guns, exactly ONE of those was a left handed gun, and I didn't go looking to buy that one. It was part of a buy them all or none deal. Did I keep it? Nope, traded it on my next purchase at the local shop.
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit