RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Is this a good deal on lead?

Is this a good deal on lead?

Local to me is a guy selling lead at .85 cents a pound pick up only. I asked and was told it's mostly lead pipe collars for cast iron pipe. Not sure what that is so I asked about composition but he couldn't really say except he has not had any complaints from the sinker casters. I am thinking this is close to 99% but may be worthwhile to grab some. What say you guys and gals?
    Last edited by solman; 05-03-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Banned

The cast iron pipe seals/collars that I have been given were very close to pure, soft lead.

Boolit Bub
    It depends on your area and the amount of work you are willing to put into it.

Here on the board, you can find Lead ingots for about $1/lb plus shipping.

You can get about 60 lbs in a medium flat rate box from the post office for $14.

The lead you have come across is likely close to pure, but it will have oakum( it's like a woven natural fiber rope) in it. Regardless, in raw form you will need to smelt it into ingots to clean it (unless you ladle pour from the smelting pot afterwards).

To me, the small increased cost to get already smelted ingots is worth it.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If it is Pb ...............buy it. Period. Many people are not able to find sources anymore, so be thankful you found this one. Even at a $1/# it is worth it.

You will definitely need to re-melt it, flux/reduce/clean, and cast into ingots for your convenient use. Do NOT do it in your casting pot!

It will be as close to pure as you can get.

banger

Boolit Master
    Yes getting pure or close to it is getting harder in my area. I say buy it. Closest thing I have been able to get in soft lead is range slugs picked up and set aside.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Around here that kinda price is a no brainer. .85 cents a pound for near pure lead is a deal.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by solman View Post
    Local to me is a guy selling lead at .85 cents a pound pick up only. I asked and was told it's mostly lead pipe collars for cast iron pipe. Not sure what that is so I asked about composition but he couldn't really say except he has not had any complaints from the sinker casters. I am thinking this is close to 99% but may be worthwhile to grab some. What say you guys and gals?
    At .85 cents a pound, by what I know now, I would buy as much as finances would allow. Do not cut yourself short on paying your bills or food for your family. It has taking 10 years to amass the stash I have now. If I would have been latching on to the lead I have passed on I would have 3 times what I have now. YMMV and good luck.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Yea, <1$ lb is always solid imo even if unprocessed. I’m at the point where eBay is the cheapest I can find...
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Boolit Grand Master

The prices that I see our members selling lead for beat Ebay all to pieces. Just saying........

I suggest trying some first. I got some mixed scrap once that contained oakum joints. Some didn't melt in my stainless steel vessel on a gas Coleman stove. I couldn't get the melt hot enough to overcome the insulation of the oakum.

Boolit Man
    Can't go wrong at .85 a pound, buy it all, lead prices keep going up up up!!!

Boolit Master
    I use lead from cast pipe joints all the time.It is free to me because I get paid to replumb houses. It is close to pure lead as you can get. I just add some wheel weights to the mix , with a little 95-5 solder for tin.