Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a rifle for shooting black powder cartridges...recommendations?

Boolit Man

Getting a rifle for shooting black powder cartridges...recommendations?

I have been kicking around getting a rifle for just shooting black powder cartridges. The rifles I currently own are already all dialed in for smokeless, so I don't want to mess with them. Thinking of a single shot of some sort to mess around with...longer range plinking and maybe a little hunting later. Looking for suggestions on something I can get into without breaking the bank...under $900, less is always better. Any suggestions on calibers, actions and brands? Ones to look for, ones to avoid?

Thanks,

Jim

Boolit Master
    Swap and sell has an H+R 45-90 in your price range now and you do not need to load it with more than you need as anything going 1200 FPS with 500+ grains kills anythin walking around here

Boolit Master

With a budget that low it might be tough. You might slip up on a used Pedersoli for that. The H&R is an option but it is a light rifle and recoil could get to be a problem.
    Stay away from anything made by IAB. You might try some of the gun sale sites. That way you can get an idea of options and prices and you might get lucky.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    I'd say the H&R would be good. I use a Sharps 45-110 for serious work. For play, I have an H&R in 38-55.

Boolit Grand Master
    ^^^^^ H&R are built like tanks and the one in the Swappin' - sellin" section would be a good fit for your bank.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You'll be hard pressed to find a rifle capable of "longer" range within your price limit.
    45-70 will do most everything you listed.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    I forgot about the new Henry single shots. 45/70 would be my choice. Unsure of their availability right now.

Speaking of H&R, those officer model trapdoors they made a while ago are really neat and can usually be had within your budget. And those are a rifle worth owning.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Speaking of H&R, those officer model trapdoors they made a while ago are really neat and can usually be had within your budget. And those are a rifle worth owning.
    They really pound you shooting off a bench.

Boolit Master
    I think there is a Taylor's sharps a few threads down that is in your price range. I'm not affiliated with the thread/seller but I've been eyeing it for a couple days......

Boolit Buddy
    I vote for a Uberti High Wall in .38-55. Not too punishing for plinking and casual shooting and an excellent hunting round. Ain't no slouch for target work either.

Boolit Grand Master

Finding a rifle in your price range is going to be tricky. The true long range sights ( soule long range ladder and a spirit level globe) are at new cost close to your budget. Watch the gun shows, estate auctions, web sites and see whats available. I jus brought home from a local gun show a very nice Remington rolling block with 32" badger barrel MVA long range soule rear Hadley eye cup and MVA wind gage spirit level front globe along with nice walnut stock and forearm for $1000.00 so it can be done.

Watch for Remington rolling blocks, 1874 Sharps ( C SHarps Shiloh, pedersolis are the better) , Various high walls. ( again C SHarps pedersoli browning), Trap doors can be fun but are lighter and iin 45-70 with a 500+ grn bullet recoil can be interesting. A used gun may allow for better sights on it and a lower price.

Another route to go would be to buy one of the Remington rifles coming in cheap right now and set it aside. when funds allow buy the barrel blank and continue this till all the parts are on hand. Then have if built into what you want. A longer process but you get a very nice rifle and just what you want.

The 45-70 is the go to cartridge here for these rifles. Recoils is there but in a balanced rifle at 11 1/2-12lbs it isn't bad. Its common performs well an is easy to work with. The 45-90 and up are more and may be more recoil powder and lead use, and other costs than you want.

The 40s are also something to look at. 40-65 is common easy to work with and recoil is a little lighter than the 45-70 in comparable rifles. Brass can be purchased with correct head stamp or formed from 45-70 for the 40-65. 40-70SS is also in the choices a decent cartridge brass has to be made from 303 or 405 basic brass. Bullet weight is normally in the 400 grn range for these.

Last on my list is 38-55 and possibly 38-56. These are pussycats as far as recoil. I would recommend a 1-12 twist barrel for mid range / long range use. The 38-55 has readily available brass with correct head stamp, 38-56 is made from 45-70 brass I believe. It is a bottle necked cartridge. With bullets in the 335 grn -360 grn range and 12 twist barrel it performs well to 500 yds.

For most of the calibers I listed reloading dies are available. Moulds and other needed accesaries are also readily available. A lot can be made with simple tools and thought at home, blow tubes, and cross sticks come to mind .

I currently shoot 45-70s (3), 45-90 (1), 40-65 (1), 38-55 ( 1). The center hammer rifles can be nice and on some offer a faster lock time over the side hammers, but there is also something to be said for that big graceful hammer on the side to. The rolling blocks and hepburns are easier to shoot prone and from the bench due to the lack of under levers.

Hmm, the OP said longer range plinking and maybe hunting later. Everything has been focused on single shot target rifles. But depending on what is to be hunted and how far away long range plinking is, just about any pistol caliber levergun fills the bill. A 44wcf or 45 Colt with a ladder sight can be a mighty useful thing further away than you might think, and it will kill game effectively at reasonable distances.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an iron frame Uberti Henry copy with the barrel ladder sight. I have killed several crows in the 200 to 250 yard distance envelope. I had to have the distance with a laser rangefinder, but the 200 grain 44-40 bullet worked just fine. I also have a Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt that is very accurate with the 250 grain Keith bullet, and it hits noticeably harder than the 44-40. Unfortunately the Marlin does not have the ladder barrel sight. Don't sell the 45 Colt short, it gives easy pass through penetration on deer.

Boolit Buddy
    You should be able to pick up a decent 1884 or 1888 trapdoor Springfield with the Buffington sight for under $900. I got a decent one last year for $600 and won the trapdoor challenge match at River Bend Gun Club in GA with it shooting 200, 300 and 600 yards. Yes, they kick. The stock is designed for offhand shooting. The 1888 model is heavier with the ramrod bayonet. The Buffington sight works well for target work. It is not so good for hunting but certainly can be used.

The Marlin Cowboy series of lever action rifles should work OK if you want a repeater. They can be loaded with black powder and the bolt removes easily for cleaning after a shooting session. They can be had in 45 Colt, 38-55 and 45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by varsity07840 View Post
    They really pound you shooting off a bench.
    I'll second that!!! Just got one, 405 gr. on top of 50gr FFg, I shot it 4 times and put it away.
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Master

.38-55 High Wall with a more modern, faster twist barrel for 300+ grain compatibility. Brass is readily available from Starline, it's a known mid-range accuracy round, and it won't brutalize you.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I shoot a H&R Handi Rifle in 45-70. Installed peep sights with a lot of vertices adjustments.
    I load Trail Boss powder in this Rifle. The Trail Boss gives reasonable accuracy and the loads do not punish the shooter. I shoot 50 rounds at one seating and my shoulder does not hurt after the day at the gun club. I have shot black powder but the rifle kicks too much for my old age.
    The rifle shoots accurately from 50 yards to 200 yards.
    I shoot the Handi-Rifle a lot, have a 35 Remington barrel for the same rifle a shoot a lot of cast bullets with the 35 barrel installed.

Boolit Man
    Thanks so much for the replies, gentlemen....I really appreciate all of them! Reading many of your posts on other threads, I really appreciate your answering my question since you guys are way out of my league. As for the recoil of the .45-70 Trapdoor shooting black powder, how does it compare to shooting a "modern" load through the 1895GS that I own? I don't mind the heavy push versus the BAM! of shooting 225gr, 2700fps out of my H&R RMEF Whelen...not a real fun gun off the bench. 45 Colt? Never even crossed my mind! Was looking for a single shot since I am thinking of the cleaning of black powder. My only experience cleaning BP is out of my sidelocks...are lever guns that much tougher to clean? Who is IAB?? Any of the Italian manufacturers that should be avoided?
    Thanks again guys...if you have any other pearls of wisdom, please let me know. I am in no rush unless I find something that really speaks to me. I live in Reno, so I have the Big Show coming up in August...it is like a museum, but there are some deals to be found.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Knarley View Post
    I'll second that!!! Just got one, 405 gr. on top of 50gr FFg, I shot it 4 times and put it away.
    70 gr loads loosen your teeth!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast