Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone else stock up a bit on .22lr?

Boolit Buddy
    I am conflicted.

On the one hand I went shooting with 22lr last week and my brother and I blew through ~400 rounds. It was a blast. Some of it was careful bolt action and I taught him natural point of aim, and the kneeling position and had him ringing a 4 in gong at 100 yards in just a few minutes. And some was just blasting with a 22 revolver. Really need to buy one of those for myself. Cost about 30 bucks for that ammo. Not bad for a long morning's fun.

On the other hand, when I bought my 10-22 it was a couple years before the ammo came down to less than 80 bucks for 500. Part of me says "stack it deep" but part of me says "I just want to pick up a brick and spend an afternoon plinking. If I can't just pick it up and go plinking, what's the point?"
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Buddy
    I hear ya. I almost gave up my 10/22 this last ammo shortage in favor of my levergun and revolvers.

Heck I almost have just as much fun at the range with those. They do run any 22 round with Little to no issue and are probably more accurate.

I opted to Keep my 10/22 charger version that I had put in an ATI folding stock with KAK rear. It makes for a great compact pinker and with stiffer barrel provides decent accuracy. Yes I loose a bit of fps but for range fun it is not an issue.

I stock ammo for this as I know it will work in my others.

For me the 10/22 is so darn much fun to shoot. Especially when you find which bulk ammo that they will run flawlessly with.

The various 22lr and 22mag weapons can be addictive.

It's a personal decision one has to make.
    I like the variety.

In either case I continue to stock up as I dont want to be caught without ample stores of ammo to shoot when I want or need. I also dont want to pay those crazy prices again.

Heck even at current prices they seem too expensive. The prices of long ago are never going to come back so I would rather get them now before they climb much more.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a reserve from before the shortage (I'd still like an explanation of what really happened... I figured if I won the lottery I'd build a 22LR manufacturing plant)

I keep the reserve and replace what I shoot whenever I see some locally.

I love shooting my 22's - rifle and pistol - and rarely go to the range without one or the other, even if my primary work at the time might be a centerfire rifle. They are just too much fun to not bring.

Boolit Master

What happened is simple, after the "event" and regulation proposals from the anti-gun lawmakers in control at the time folks decided to "stock up" on both guns and ammo before any adverse laws caused problems. Within the first couple of days the existing ammo disappeared from the store shelves and before new supplies arrived those who were trying to lay in a supply found it already scarce and the panic began! The pain from the first shortage was still fresh to many and so as soon as any ammo landed on the shelves the first person to see it bought it all and those who came in late left empty handed. Then the rumors and the blame game started, it's the hoarders' and scalpers' fault they are to blame for this! That of course is total nonsense because there were no hoarders or scalpers before the panic began so how could they be the cause? Sure it's true the scalpers bought as much as they could AFTER the shortage started and thus they had an impact on pricing but the ammo they bought still went to the consumers, if they weren't selling it they wouldn't have been buying it. It's just plain common sense, people who were willing to pay the inflated scalper prices would instead have bought it cheaper from a store if they could have found any so it still wound up in the same place and the same people were still left without. "Hoarding" was the cause of the shortage and while scalpers may have affected prices they were taking advantage of the shortage we caused, they did not start or cause it.

The fact is WE were the cause of our own problem, there was no shortage just waaaaaay more folks wanting to buy ammo than the manufacturers could make, the demand was so high that the RF manufacturers were producing every round they could running the factories 24 hrs a day and in some cases 7 days a week and still couldn't keep up with demand! Think about it, one day there were untold thousands (millions maybe???) of shooters who bought only a few boxes or a brick at a time and others who bought no more than a box at a time. Then the next day these same folks were scrambling to buy every round they could get their hands on trying to avoid being left out then add to that thousands more who probably didn't shoot 50 rds or so a year that would now buy a thousand if they could find them! It's no secret what happened, we were our own enemy, and it's very likely to happen again.

I doubt it will be as bad next time because some of us are pretty much set up for the long run and others are (wisely) preparing now but some folks just never learn and as soon as the rumors start again these people will be complaining and pointing fingers but none of that will get them any of the ammo they know full well they need to be stocking up on right now while it's still easy to get.
    Last edited by oldred; 05-08-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by silverback13 View Post
    I hear ya. I almost gave up my 10/22 this last ammo shortage in favor of my levergun and revolvers.

Heck I almost have just as much fun at the range with those. They do run any 22 round with Little to no issue and are probably more accurate.
    What Levergun if you don't mind me asking?

I've given some thought to getting rid of the 10-22 (TakeDown) in favor of a lever action but I bought it new and had to send it back to Ruger to get fixed up. So I've got just shy 350 in it and it's finally shooting decently. Not sure I want to eat the loss. The research I've been doing seems to say I should expect about 2 in groups at 50 yds from most lever actions which is worse than my 10-22 is doing. For the same money a CZ bolt gun might be the better purchase.

I don't know. I'm honestly more and more looking at PCP airguns for training purposes. The same amount of money spent on stockpiling will get you many more pellets. Slightly harder to convert a pellet to a squirrel but not horribly so. I'll probably make that jump before I buy another 22.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
    What Levergun if you don't mind me asking?
    Sorry, I know this wasn't directed at me but if I was asked, I would not hesitate to recommend the Marlin 39A. I've got 2, one born in 1957 and his younger brother, born in 1961. Both are just a pleasure....slick action, 100% reliable function, and are capable of some excellent accuracy (with the right ammo - my 1961 prefers Win Super Speed). Anyway, there are other good .22 levers out there but I will never get rid of mine.
    Semper Fi.

I've replenished to a 15-18K level again. Not taking chances on another O'bomba administration shortage. I'll keep stocking up on all other calibers too...but one of the best places I've found to get 22s is at https://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-l...mmo-c-202.aspx

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    My response may or may not help.

Yep mine is marlin 39d. It was kind of a beater but I bought it anyway. I like to shoot my guns so it wasn't intended to be a safe queen. It's a 1971 production. I had it cetakoted black as it covered the minor barrel wear and pitting.
    Great gun to shoot. I have always used bulk ammo so I haven't tried to wring maximum accuracy or find a particular ammo to gain that result.

New 10/22 barrels usually need about 500 rounds before you're able to see what kind of accuracy they are able to deliver. I usually give them about 1000.

Plus its just my thought that a take down weapon would have an inherent weak spot at the connection point.

If your achieving sub 2 inch accuracy with your 10/22 that it might be a keeper.

If your looking for sub moa than a bolt gun might be the way to.

Remember each gun has its own personality and quirks.

Finding an ammo that will provide your desired results is also an added adventure.

Then there is the quality of scope you using.

Yes an air gun may be a cheaper alternative but I have a ad suspicion that achieving your desired results will still require an significant investment.

A good resource may be Paco Kelly's levergun forum.

http://www.leverguns.com

Last edited by silverback13; 05-09-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Stocking up for summer as a matter of fact.
    A distributor I buy from had what I have to view as a clearance on Cascade Catridge Intl. 22s.
    Contrary to what those who haven't tried it would believe, I'v gotten very good reports from user(s).
    Range from standard velocity(40gr/1050fps) to high velocity (34gr/1500fps).
    Approximate cost delivered is $1.80/box(50).
    Supply is apparently catching up with a normal demand.
    In making decision I did find this chart that I thought may be useful to others here.
    https://www.mcarbo.com/22LR-Ballistics-Chart
    YMMV
    Last edited by kywoodwrkr; 05-08-2018 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Forgot include link

Boolit Buddy
    Good reference

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com

Also the ever popular thread from Rimfire central. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=99009

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234