WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else stock up a bit on .22lr?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daloper View Post
    I don't know if the price is that great or not, but I buy what I can if it is under .05 a piece. I keep telling myself I need it on hand so my Grand daughter has some thing to shoot when she comes up to visit. I wonder how long it will take her to shoot up 10,000 rounds?
    When my boys were in High School during the summer months a case of 5K would last them about 6 weeks or less.

You are not alone brothers. I am a ammo hoarder. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. They will go after our ammo some day.

Boolit Buddy
    I seldom ever find Wolf 22lr Match in any of the establishments in my locale. So, I ordered a case (5K rds.) at retail price. Now, I'll not have to search anymore for the perfect ammo which my Kimber 82 shoots most accurately.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    And, I reload my own for less than a penny per ...
    Can’t help pulling your chain.....but just how long would it take to make bullets and reload a case of 5000 that is currently available for $225 delivered?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    just how long would it take to make bullets and reload a case of 5000 that is currently available for $225 delivered?

Exactly what I was thinking but if a person actually enjoys reloading 22 RF cases, not many will I wouldn't think, then I suppose cost and time would not be much of a factor. Considering the effort needed ("effort" may be spelled F-U-N for some folks however) to reload 22 in that kind of volume then the few cents saved would make little sense indeed! The whole idea of the 22 LR is to have an inexpensive totally expendable round that can be shot in volume without having to spend enormous amounts of time reloading finicky RF cases but again it depends entirely on whether a person enjoys reloading those cases or not. I think it reasonable to assume most folks would consider reloading any volume of RF to be a daunting task rather than an enjoyable endeavor and would reduce shooting 22 RF for them to reloading a few for necessity rather than a large number for shooting for fun. Unless someone comes up with a much simpler way to reprime RF cases and get more than a few reloads from each case then it's just not going to be worth the current cost of a few cents per round to most folks to attempt to reload them, for those that enjoy the process I applaud them for their effort and admire the fact they can enjoy doing that but let's be fair here by far most people aren't going to want to spend that kind of time and effort on 22 RF when they are available at the prices they are now.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    My kids and grandkids will shoot a lot of the 22lr I have after I'm gone but I will never run out of 22lr or primers or powder or lead to cast boolits. I have went through to many shortages of shooting components to be caught without the things I need to shoot what I want when I want. Yep, I have them stocked deep and will not feel sorry for those that do not stock up now when things are available.

Boolit Master

I remember the good old days of 2c .22lr ammo. My Grandpa used to tell me that was too much because he used to pay 49 cents per box. But then when you factor in a little thing called inflation, you might as well be talking about pesos or rubles. A 1949 dollar is a lot different from a 1994 dollar or a 2018 dollar. My 2c per round in the mid '90s is equivalent to around 3c now, so not that far off from the 3.6c I buy them for today.

It's not very important anyhow. I'll spend more on lunch than the difference in price on some .22 rounds. As to loading centerfire cheaper, that's true too, but I really don't enjoy spending the day casting and loading when I can just buy a couple bricks of 22s. If you enjoy spending that much time casting and loading then it's a different story.

Boolit Buddy
    I learned my lesson during the Clinton fiasco in 96, I said never again would I be caught in a shortage. Since then I have not even looked for ammo or componets during the shortages, just restock afterwards when prices come down to normal levels which they are now fast approaching. Its not if, it will happen again.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    On the rare occasion I buy .22 LR nowadays it is for quality stuff like Mini Mags or W-W Power Point. I have probably a lifetime supply of the cheap stuff. My shooting time is limited, and the idyllic days of blasting away with a .22 autoloader for hours are over.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I still light reload 38’s and 45’s for less than 22’s sell for around here. Same easy shooting and those carts have the REAL feel of REAL ammo, unlike those little toy-like 22’s. For those young-uns learning to shoot, that is a very good experience.

I WILL buy 22’s when the prices are back in the $18/555brick range again, if ever!!!!

Boolit Master

I bought cases of Federal 550 bulk from Wally world before OB was elected for .0162 pre round that for the math fighters was 550 rounds for $8.95 to anyone not just bulk buyers.

I first asked how many can I get at a time and the counter rep said how many cases you want 1,2 ,3 or more I will meet you with them on a two wheeler in 5 minutes.

Old days not really after Y2K that didn't happen.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by danmat View Post
    Its not if, it WILL happen again.

No doubt about it and the crying and blaming scalpers, etc will start all over again when the real cause is everyone and their uncle trying to "stock up" AFTER the news breaks when it will be too late! I am not saying everyone should run right out and buy everything they can all at once, that's what causes the panics in the first place, but buy sensibly and lay back what you think you might need to last at least a couple of years but better still (WAY better!) enough to last a lot longer than that. If we do what it seems most who have replied to this thread are doing, buying modest amounts and stocking over time, then we can build enough of a supply to meet our needs without starting another panic.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Buddy
    Sometimes I look at all the stuff in my stash and I feel like a d*** hoarder, but then there's a shortage and I know that's one less thing I have to worry about.
    I can shoot here at the house and my son and 3 grandkids are close by, we could burn thru some ammo in a day of barbq and shooting.
    My 22 ammo needs have diminished the last couple of years as the oldest 2 have been in college. We still shoot a lot of pistol cal. reloads when they come in, just not as much 22.The grandson would come over with a couple of friends that I coached, they would have a blast,one mentioned his dad was talking about he could not get any ammo without paying scalper prices how did I have plenty, I said planning for a rainy day son. Of course my grandkids are spoiled by me, they never had a clue, what shortage they asked?
    He came in today helped me do some cleanup around here weedeated the yard, then we burnt about 50 rounds thru my new 1886, good times nothing like grandkids.

I really love my 22's, and shooting them. My mom has the single six I gave her, and shooting that with her, or by myself is special. Sure, I love shooting centerfire too, but there is just something special about the 22. I've always loved 22's so much so that I read whatever I can about its history and usage. For me, the cost is not the reason I love it, but merely a benefit. Its as american as the 30-30 and 30-06 in my book.

Boolit Buddy
    I continue to stock up. I have been through at least two ammo shortages and the 22lr is one of my favorite range rounds. No matter how cheaply I can reload others the 22lr holds sweet spot. Yes better to have and not need then........

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I have a 12 year old son with an itchy trigger finger, that said more than 30,000 in the last year. I’ll be ****ed if he can’t shoot his fill off the back deck while I bbq dinner for him and his mom

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I stocked up when I found it at a reasonable price!!! Like $78 for a 1400 round bucket of Remington,( yeah, I know) just got them while they were cheap. So I have plenty now. Did the same for .17 HMR, when I found it, I bought it. But that's just me.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    I have a 12 year old son with an itchy trigger finger, that said more than 30,000 in the last year. I’ll be ****ed if he can’t shoot his fill off the back deck while I bbq dinner for him and his mom
    Lol..... working on my 3rd 5 gallon bucket. Difficult when i shoot them at the range as well.

5 gallon bucket of 22 bullets? Im interested in such.

Boolit Buddy
    I get them with the rubber seal on the lid. Found which bulk round works well with my semi auto (10/22 and glick 22lr conversion) the start collecting. I keep one for the revolver and lever action..
    Pretty much any kind of bulk I can find.

I am not looking for 1/2 MOA just plinking fun.

Sometimes but in 5000 round lots from sportsman guide 4 pay plan.

Makes it easy on the monthly budegt.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast