WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2PBcastcoLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else stock up a bit on .22lr?

Boolit Master

You might want to check out Targetsports USA. Reasonable prices and case lots ship free. I just picked up Aguila SV long rifle for $220./case (5000)to my door.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    none of the walmarts around me. (5 all 50 min drive each way) Have not got many 22s at all. Still have sighs up saying NO 22S IN STOCK.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    I'm not in the 'stock piling' mode any more since I started reloading 38spec for cheaper than 22lr.... I have relaxed the restrictions on shooting it at the range though, my wife particularly enjoy's her beretta and its nice to not worry about if stock will be available again. I'm still in the camp of rather have it and not need it than run out again..
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I am with you Derek on 38 Special. Mine is Ruger police service .357 and am loaded up with Lee 105 grn SWC boolit. Purchased 360 lbs ingots of "coww" at .30 cent lb a while ago. 38 Special and .357 brass. A little bit of Bullseye or Uinique makes for cheaper than .22 It's those primers @ 4 cents that bug me. This is the load that I posted that the little bullet penetrated 7 1 X 4 pine boards and stuck in the eighth one. Was running at 1300 fps. Also Have a bunch of 9mm loaded cheaply and will load more 9mm next. Don't shoot as much as some have mentioned, but am learning to shoot more and still try to make every shot count as best as can be done. Remember my Daddy starting me out hunting rabbits for the table very young and would give me 5 22 bullets and had to account what each one was used for. Several times after a fruitless hunt would hand Dad back 2 or three bullets I didn't use.

Forgot to say that the shortage caused me to go on a reloading binge and haven't got over it yet. LOL.

Boolit Buddy

My local Walmart doesn't get much at all. Wife and I were going thru Idaho looking for a place to escape CA next year when she joins me in retirement. Stopped at the Cabelas in Couer d' Alene and they had all kinds of 22 on the shelf.
    I'm still stocked up from the last shortage.

I'm buying 1-200 a week building a pile for next time. CCI standard velocity for my bolt action, Aguila Colibri for my revolver, and CCI mini mags for all my .22s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have not got any yet for myself because of how much I got on hand, but wait to see how low the price will be and if it looks right I will get more. Just over a month ago I seen that Walmart had there Rem bricks for $21.95 and now today i seen it is now $29.95 for the same thing. Dose not look right unless more is buying for the warm months here now. But still too high for me just now. Will see what time will bring. I got over 3,000 still on hand and use mainly for my trap line.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Its funny how folks justify 22 ammo purchases or usage based the cost, or the cost to reload centerfire cheaper. If you factor in any amount of time for your reloads, then the cost of 22 is surely cheaper than the 38's/whatever you load. I'd rather have a few extra 22's on hand, than to be stuck with a gun and no ammo come the next shortage thats for sure.

I told a couple of my shooting buddies, you better buy you some 22s now while you got the chance. A box or two every payday wont hurt you, but it'll add up. One of them has 2 bricks..... I told'm when they run out, they aint getting any of mine.

Boolit Master

now I feel like I ought to get on the stick and go get some.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Yep, I learned my lesson. I bought 6 cases of Federal Automatch. I already have 4,000 rnds on hand. I am not likely to shoot it up, but my kids and grandkids will appreciate the legacy.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

The ammo is becoming more available, but I can't say the prices have returned to what used to be normal. The new normal seems to be more for less. I'm not having any trouble getting Federal brand in 350 packs for $19.95, and buy one every trip to town, about twice a month. I've also seen 500 count bricks of CCI and American Eagle at higher prices, but no Remington or Winchester in other than 50 and 100 count boxes.

Banned
    I still cringe at the prices of 22lr. To me 2 cents per round is a reasonable price. Until then. I will let the insecure people stock up at ridiculous prices.

Boolit Grand Master
    My price point depends on my stock level. I will NEVER have less than 10k on hand.....so I start shopping/buying at 20k.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Son and I replaced the 10K of 1990's stock we shot during the shortage with CCI Mini Mag HP's. Going to buy another 2 cases for shooting older stored ammo. Back to having fun as usual this year.

Now is the time to BUY, don't complain again when none to found.

Banned
    And, I reload my own for less than a penny per ...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I still have a huge quantity left from 2008. Back then, centerfire ammo and reloading stuff was what the hoarders were after and nobody wanted .22 ammo. So, I just bought some whenever I went to the store. I figured I would practice with .22's and save centerfire for when I really needed it. I was also really into .22 pocket pistols at the time. Since then I've plunged headlong into cast boolits and don't shoot the .22's much. I do make it a point to give .22's to people who need them. I'm planning to get a Ruger SP-101 .22 here soon so that may change.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Just ordered 1k of .22mag and 900 rounds of CCI Mini-mag 36 gr cphp's.

.24 cents for the mags, 11 for the mini mags.
    I have plenty of standard velocity for the pistols. The mini-mags are earmarked for my 10/22 only.

The .22mag's are for an old toy of mine. Heritage rough rider that always shot .22lr like **** but SHINES shooting .22mags. I'm going boondocking this winter, figured it would be smart to bring that girl and a good supply of ammo for it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I still cringe at the prices of 22lr. To me 2 cents per round is a reasonable price. Until then. I will let the insecure people stock up at ridiculous prices.
    guess your done with 22's, because it cost more than 2cents ea to make el cheapo bulk pack ammo.

Boolit Master
    I shoot a lot of 22 LR. For a while i figured it was a cheap way of doing certain drills for action pistol, and I can burn sometimes a thousand rounds in a week. Then it became unavailable, and then barely available and expensive, and I realized that, once I started casting center fire pistol boolits, that (discounting my time, but I'm retired now) it's cheaper to shoot the cast centerfire than to buy the commercial .22 LR.

I still shoot a lot of .22. If nothing else it saves my back from picking up brass. I have a good stock, built up over time against another shortage, but am not adding to it as much now as I was, say, a couple years ago, again because I can shoot custom cast loads for less.

My new thing to seek out and hoard is lead and other casting metals. 8^P

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast