RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else stock up a bit on .22lr?

Boolit Master

Anyone else stock up a bit on .22lr?

Now that the .22lr shortage is just a bad memory, and availability and price are mostly back to "normal", does anyone else find them self buying a few extra to put on the back shelf?

Now I know some of you all go through more in a week than I do in a year, and some of you are still shooting from when you stocked up big after the Cuban Missile Crisis, but how about the rest of us that just use normal quantities, and previously never gave much thought to having a bunch on hand?

When I've been in Walmart over the last year and see the Federal 550 round packs for under $20, I'm always tempted to buy just one more. I must have 8 or 9 of them on my shelf now. Again, I know that's a tiny drop in the bucket for some of you all, but it's a fair amount for me. It seems to shoot fairly well for my purposes.

I'm sure I'm far from the only one.

I haven't started adding to my 22LR stock, yet. I'm in good shape. Rather, I've been taking the opportunity to upgrade my firearms.

A box or 2 here and there adds up if you aint burning through it.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Whenever I get to WalMart and I see two or three 100-packs on the shelf, I'll pick em up. I'm slowly building a reserve of them. I'd like to have maybe 3-4K put back to feel good about another shortage. I was completely out for a few years there.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Sure do. Any time I see Automatch for less than $17 or CCI SV for less than $40, I buy it. I shoot a lot of it, but about half gets put in storage. I don't want to hoard, just want to be prepared.

Boolit Master

it doesnt hurt to have a small stash. im not into mass hoarding, but the way things go now days you should put up enough to get you through a while.

Boolit Master

Yep, buy cheap stack deep.

I have a good many 22s that I started laying in by the case before Obama was elected. I quit
    buying at around $15 a brick. I have only bought 6 boxes of CCI st-v from the store ($3.99 box)
    since the panic. I have bought some at sales if cheap enough. The other day I bought 2000
    shorts for $80 off individual. That's $2 per box which I thought was good price. Especially when
    they were marked $12.99 on 100pks of CCI HV shorts.

I don't know if the price is that great or not, but I buy what I can if it is under .05 a piece. I keep telling myself I need it on hand so my Grand daughter has some thing to shoot when she comes up to visit. I wonder how long it will take her to shoot up 10,000 rounds?

I am starting to pick up a box when at a store that has them. I had basically quit shooting 22s. My daughter is on her college’s shooting team, so that is my excuse to start stocking up. Only have about 2K now, so I don’t think I can be called a hoarder!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Years ago split a unit with a gun shop owner. (back when I had money) I am down to the last 4 cases CCI. I did buy 4 more cases but that was the same lot of Eley for my comp gun. So no I am not stocking up but I am getting low. I should thinking about getting some more 20k worth for plinking ammo is just year supply.

Now you made me think about buying another bulk lot of 22lr. Dangit.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

One day I hope to earn the title of 22lr hoarder.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Yes I have been stacking them away when I find good prices.

I do still shoot several .22 pistols fairly regularly, and enjoy them.

The poor Ruger 10/22 still sleeps in the safe.
    There are just so many other guns that are more fun, cost about the same to shoot.

So what if they are not semi-auto's. Who says you can't have fun with a single shot?

I have not counted my stash lately, but I know it is double what I started with when the shortage hit.
    And I still have some rounds to shoot up that cost me a dime each. Most of the stash is well below that price.

Might be a good time to stock up on some .22mag though.

I had a good stash before the last scare and they lasted through till it became available again, I since have bought a lot of the under $20 Federals. I don't shoot my 22's a lot but it sure was nice being able to shoot all I wanted during the last scare. I think I had around 20,000 then and I am back to there now.

Boolit Master
    I am an original 22 hoarder. I was stocking up back in 2007. I was buying 6 bricks a week when it was less than $10.00 a brick. I feared the politics then.

Boolit Master

after the nieces and nephews and kids shot 4 bricks in a day I figured I had better keep some around so if I find it around 20 a brick I buy some. still refuse to pay 50 or 75 a brick.

Boolit Master

Just my $.02, I personally think stocking up now is the wise thing to do unless a person has a big stash left over from the recent panic. Personally I think another "shortage" is just around the corner, folks are still edgy because of two panic induced shortages in recent times and, just like the last two "shortages", all it will take is a rumor to stampede the herd all over again! That rumor is quite likely to happen sooner than we might think, the mid-term elections are just around the corner and it ain't lookin good folks! People are very complacent with the current situation in Washington with a friendly President and congress BUT it's that "sittin fat-n-happy" complacency that could do us in. The Presidential election turned in our favor because we got out and voted but I have talked with a BUNCH of folks that aren't even thinking of the up coming election, in fact several of them didn't even know what I was talking about and most had absolutely no idea who to even vote for! If the gun grabbing libs win this fall it will be nearly as big a loss as if they had of won the big one and they are working feverishly to get their people out while far too many of our people (falsely) feel safe for the moment and aren't even concerned about what can happen. If we lose, and it can easily happen, they will pounce on the first "event" and the rumors will start flying!

Both "shortages" in the recent past were based on nothing more than rumor and with a heck of a lot of folks still stinging from the very recent episode it won't take much to start all over again! My point is don't run out and buy everything available but spending these next few months stocking up on a reasonable supply is simply the prudent thing to do, the next morning after that mid-term election just might be all it takes to start another panic!

I apologize for getting so political here but my main point is about staying supplied with ammo and unfortunately the two go together like ugly and apes so please prove me wrong GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

22 still spotty by me. occasiaonal bulk packs. but lots of people with the same thinking going on. see a shelf. buy 2 boxes. one to shoot, one to stock.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    When the price hit five to six cents each I replaced what I had used for the previous nine years or so .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    When I shoot up 100 rounds I make it a point to replace that with a brick the next time i am at Wal-Mart. CCi standard vel. is my choice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast