Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Redding powder scale Model #1 info?

Boolit Buddy

Redding powder scale Model #1 info?

An old friend of my brother asked him to try and sell a few reloading items that he had purchased for his father. Seems he had bought a few things for his dad to reload for his 7.7 jap rifle. I believe he purchased the equipment in the early 70's, but seems his father never got around to reloading. One of the items is a Redding Model #1 powder scale.
    I don't know what constitutes "vintage", but it is old. From a little searching on this forum it seems they started making these scales around 1948, then upgraded to the dampened Model #2 around 1959. I don't know if they still made the #1 after that or not.
    The condition(looks 100%), considering age, is what got me interested, just kind of a "history" thing to me I guess.
    These scales are still in original box, from the looks of box and scale, I don't think they've ever even been taken out of the box. All the little cardboard pieces to hold them in place in box are still in place. Warranty card and instructions are still there also. The box is in very good condition also, just a few small "dents" in cardboard, box just "looks" old. Says Redding-Hunter Inc., Cortland NY USA on the box.
    Does anyone have any info on these scales.. Years made? Is there any collector value or interest in something like this? Are they old enough to be vintage? If so, what would something like this be worth?
    Anyone collect stuff like this?
    Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by Pb Burner; 05-03-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Boolit Master

I have one of those scales also. It is the oil dampened model though. I think I paid $30.00 for it and it came without a box. It has been dead on every time I check it with scale weights. I have not had to adjust it yet(fingers crossed). I have had it for abut 8 to 10 years now and I love to pull it out and use it for small sessions. I am not a collector as such but I do have 3 other of the older scales of different makes and there is just something about reconnecting with my past that I like about using them. james

In Remembrance

I started out with the #1 probably 1960 or just before that. I bought it thru the mail from P&S sales in Tulsa, Ok for I believe $9.95 plus some shipping. Later on I found a #1 with a brass or copper colored measure beam. I still on occasion use my original scale and it still is right on. As an aside, I never used any dampening oil in the resevoir as it wanted to creep out.Robert

Boolit Master

I think they are only vintage to those of us who grew up learning to reload with them in the 1950's-'60's. I still have my Dad's old #1. He bought a new OHAUS 10/10 in the late 1960's & the old REDDING away in it's box. He gifted it to me a few years later, when I came home from the NAVY & wanted to start my own casting/reloading setup.

I still break it out from time to time and run a scale check with my old REDDING, RCBS 10/10, LYMAN, 1st GEN RCBS Electronic, and LYMAN 1st GEN Electronic powder measure/scale w/ 3rd GEN upgrade.

That old REDDING is the ONLY one that's never given me any kind of problem. I'll keep it for ever.

$25.00 Seems like a good starting point. Maybe $40.00 If the pictures show enough of the PERFECT CONDITION.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    I dug through the Rifleman and Gun Digest some years ago and figured out the time line for all the Redding scales. Published it some where then lost the file.
    Is the beam chrome or brass?
    I am assuming that the Redding name is cast in the frame.
    Redding sold a lot of these and most have survived in great condition.
    Ken

Boolit Buddy
    Pressman, the beam is black. Is that any indication of the age? I'm going by what the friend said, that he had purchased them in the early 70's for his father. The body/frame of the scale is green with "redding" cast into it. He asked my help in selling the equipment for him(also a never used or mounted Pacific power C press and die set).
    I was just wondering if there was any collector value after seeing them in such good condition in the original box. He has no idea what they are worth and didn't set a price, just asked me if I could try to sell a few things. I have nothing to gain, just helping a guy out. I just thought I'd do a little research out of curiosity as much as trying to figure what would be a fair price to ask.
    I appreciate all the responses.
    When I get some spare time I'll try to figure out how to post pictures for when I put this stuff in swapping and selling.
    Last edited by Pressman; 05-04-2018 at 06:44 PM. Reason: No offers to sell outside Swap & Sell