WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone cast for 7.62x25 Tokerev?

Boolit Master
    1/3 Lino to Range Scrap might be ok. Depends on a few things, but I would imagine you can tweak it to get the most out of your alloy.

As for the mold similarities, the Accurate mold is the only one I have found that is close to my own. And was designed independently of my own design, though I did bring up the similarities when it was proposed. I don’t think MP or NOE has anything similar. Though I’d be happy to send copies to either of them if they wanted to make a clone… the only change I might make these days would be a slightly larger diameter, maybe .312-.313, and possibly doing way with the lube groove and adding a gas check shank for PC’d boolits.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Mold
    Got around to cast some bullets. Temperature +2deg.C but hot casting pot kept me warm enough.

Lee 311-100-2R looks a bit long. Base is deep inside case, bottom lube groove exposed to powder.
    So I tested how it looks if cut so that bottom grease groove disappears.
    Weight 75.5grains (uncut 95.6grain) Used 50-50 range scrap and linotype.
    COAL 1.286" passes plunk test with bullet as cast, .314 diameter.

Not interested in cutting bullets so thinking about getting that mould modified.
    I saw a video on youtube about cutting bullets shorter. DidnŽt bookmark it thou..
    Does that long bullet matter?

I sent message to mountainmoulds but no response so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231113_015610784.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	319901
    Left: BerryŽs 71grain plated 32 bullets
    Middle: Lee TL314-90-SWC
    Right: Lee 311-100-2R cut and as cast.

Boolit Grand Master

Dan at mountianmolds has been retired for a couple of years, now. I would address the issue with Accurate, if he doesn't have something adequate in his catalog already.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Dan at mountianmolds has been retired for a couple of years, now. I would address the issue with Accurate, if he doesn't have something adequate in his catalog already.
    I posted the link in my previous response, but the 31-085G from Accurate is almost identical to my own. Just slightly different nose profile, and 5gr lighter.

Btw, JiriK, you have a RN boolit with a single lube groove in your photo. What which one is that? Or are you saying you cut the base and a lube groove off of the Lee 100gr?? Because that would be nearly ideal for the Tok, assuming it's in the 85-95gr range.

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    I posted the link in my previous response, but the 31-085G from Accurate is almost identical to my own. Just slightly different nose profile, and 5gr lighter.

Btw, JiriK, you have a RN boolit with a single lube groove in your photo. What which one is that? Or are you saying you cut the base and a lube groove off of the Lee 100gr?? Because that would be nearly ideal for the Tok, assuming it's in the 85-95gr range.
    Yes, I have a small lathe with a collet chuck. Used that to cut the bottom lube groove off of the cast Lee 311-100-2R bullet.
    Now that I think about it, I could mount that mould in the independent 4-jaw chuck and drop the top surface of mould down a bit. Maybe cut the ridge of lower lube groove off too so I could have more mass and more driving length in the bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JiriK View Post
    Yes, I have a small lathe with a collet chuck. Used that to cut the bottom lube groove off of the cast Lee 311-100-2R bullet.
    Now that I think about it, I could mount that mould in the independent 4-jaw chuck and drop the top surface of mould down a bit. Maybe cut the ridge of lower lube groove off too so I could have more mass and more driving length in the bullet.
    Depending on the diameter of the lube groove, you might also be able to slightly extend the groom to make a gascheck shank. That would actually be ideal. When I designed my boolit that was the issue, the neck is so short you couldn't have a lube groove and a gascheck. But now with PCing being so proven, you could do away with the lube groove entirely and add a gascheck with a depth that could still remain in the neck. As I said before, if I were to redesign my boolit that is basically what I would do today.

Boolit Mold
    I cut eight bullets short and loaded rounds with them. Rounds cycled the gun just fine and bullets punched round holes at 25m
    0.41g of N340 felt a bit too much. Will try different loads.

Lube groove has diameter of 0.288". I donŽt have lubing and sizing die for .314 bullet at the moment - So no way to install gas checks. I could machine something but weŽll see. I have found only one store here in Finland that sells gas checks.

Boolit Mold
    Finally got .314 sizing die and .30cal gas checks.
    This time I cut the base of the bullet off in a lathe. WeŽll see how these work.
    If well, I will modify the mould.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tok_GC.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JiriK View Post
    Finally got .314 sizing die and .30cal gas checks.
    This time I cut the base of the bullet off in a lathe. WeŽll see how these work.
    If well, I will modify the mould.
    Let us know how well they work. The design looks like it should work if PC'd and using the top groove to crimp into. Otherwise the gascheck might sit down below the case neck. Hard to say without having a copy on hand to measure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123