Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: rogers and spencer replica cap n ball

rogers and spencer replica cap n ball

Seems a lot like the Old Army loading lever wise.anybody own and shoot one?
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Perm-Banned
    i pine after that make and model. ive been told it is a very strong gun. easy to hold and the hammer pull is a lot shorter than a colt or remington. fits the hands of most better than most. also they make a cartridge cyinder for it for 45 long colt. if i ever get some free cash, thats the one i want.

I use to own one until I had to sell it The front sight was lousy and needs to be replaced with a taller and stronger one. Still, it is astoundingly accurate. I had no trouble putting 6 shots into a 1.5" group at 25 yards.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Perm-Banned
    i hope some one can help you with that.

Boolit Buddy
    You got a fired cap down in the lockworks, clean it out and all should be good again.
    webfoot10

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a problem with the bolt. You'll likely have to dismantle the gun to find out. Mine are astoundingly accurate. Two of them had had the mainsprings weakened, possibly to facilitate cocking and trigger pull. I had to replace the spring in one, and rebent the spring in the other. Both are a pleasure to load and shoot. I've got 3 of them now and really ought to thin the herd. One of mine is the rarer gun Euroarms manufactured with the adjustable rear sight.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Grand Master

I was used to shooting my Colts. When I got my Rogers and Spencer and pulled the hammer back the first time I thought something was wrong. Full cock on that is half cock on a Colt. So yes, the lock time is faster. I enjoy mine but haven't shot C&B lately.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    You're right Wayne. The hammer feels a bit strange when you first operate a R&S. The hammer has a shorter throw and a HUGELY stronger mainspring than a comparable colt, giving it a very fast locktime. Thats why you often find them with mainsprings altered by people unfamiliar with how the action works. The guns solid frame and fast locktime help contribute to it's accuracy.
    I don't know how prices are in your area George, but around here $275 would be about average.

Oh my!

Well an hour with a file and a drill and I made a new stud for the hammer that opens the bolt for the cylinder to turn when on half cock.I cant believe it fit the first try.I am up in the air to buy the gun though I will kick myself if I don't. Its just my Old Army is similar size and has a better trigger.I'll hold out for a Walker replica probably.
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 03-26-2014 at 11:45 PM.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    Since that part is subject to quite a bit of wear and stress, I hope you tempered or hardened it. If not it will likely wear pretty fast.
    While I don't have any information regarding the creation of the Ruger I CAN definitively say that the R&S system for the loading lever, ram, and cylinder base pin preceeded the old army by MANY decades and was likely the inspiration for the ruger system. I only wish the Ruger system used screws or some other means to prevent all three pieces from falling apart everytime I remove it's cylinder. Otherwise it's a jewel though it doesn't shoot any better than my R&S.

Oh my!

Boolit Master
    I made a front sight out of a metric screw from the hardware store. Sorry I don't remember the size but got it at Ace. It is more accurate than I am.