Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: 44/40 SWC loads ??

Boolit Buddy

44/40 SWC loads ??

Anyone use SWC in their 44/40 lever rifle's ,, mine is a 92' carbine. Any feeding problems ?? I do shoot the RNFP's w/ NO problems ,, so just wondering .

coffee's ready ,,, Hootmix.

I used the Lee 240 TLSWC in the 44-40 Rossi lever action I had and they worked great. Weird but they functioned better than rnfp in that gun. Accuracy was good too. They have a short nose compared to other swc designs; that helped the feeding I'm sure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I used the Lee 240 TLSWC in the 44-40 Rossi lever action I had and they worked great. Weird but they functioned better than rnfp in that gun. Accuracy was good too. They have a short nose compared to other swc designs; that helped the feeding I'm sure.
    Sometimes ya get lucky - in a 92 it all depends on the positioning of the boolit shoulder as the round comes off the feed ramp - how ya crank the handle probably makes a difference too -- toggle guns dont like em I think.

Boolit Master
    I have a 44-40 Marlin 1894 that I tried some SWC's in about 20 to 25 years ago. I got an assortment of different ones that were cast from Veral Smith moulds. I also had a few others from various places. The wide flat nose Veral bullets did not work well. The corner of the front flat would catch on the transition in the chamber when it was being levered in. It was not consistent and would cause hickups during a fast string. That does bad things to accuracy. The ones that have smaller flats worked better, the smaller, the better. They were probably good enough. Of course, the round nose flat ones worked even better (completely smooth) so that is what I have been using for years.

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS 245 Keith loads and shoots really well in a 131 year old Winchester 1873. I seat the bullet to 1.590” and roll a light crimp on the case. The taper of the SWC prevents the roll crimp from contacting the bullet. Loaded round looks funny, but feeds well. And the way it shoots is what counts.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Good Morning
    WE have several Winchester 1892's that range from 1893 to 1920 something. One may feed a SWC just fine and the next closest to serial # up/down will not feed that particular design.
    Chamber edges, the actual lifter height, wear on the lever, lifter plunger hole wear, bullet stop on the lifter, how fat is the chamber... all these littles areas add up to joy or just move on. Just like trying to feed oatmeal to all the family... someone wants toast.
    Mike in Peru till June
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Well,,, thanks for all the input ,, me thinks I will stay with the RNFP they do work smooth and as fast as I can work the action .

coffee's ready ,,, Hootmix.