RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a smart phone after “whatever”

Boolit Mold

What to do with a smart phone after “whatever”

What ever your catastrophe it is very likely that your smartphone will only be smart afterwards. It is still a very capable computer. What apps do you have loaded for “after the fall”.

Boolit Master

there are several apps that turn your phone into a walkie talkie, there range is several miles and you have to have at least 2 phones with the app

Boolit Mold
    Does it work without a cell tower that probably won’t be working?

Boolit Master
    Can be used to hold one corner of the map ��
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

no cell tower needed, they go phone to phone just like a walkie talkie.

Thats pretty cool, the walkie talkie thing. I use an old school flip phone. But if i ever get a smart phone.. i'll have to check into that.

Boolit Master

I don't think a smart phone or any other battery powered thing will be of much use because electricity will most likely be the first thing to go. How many people actually have a solar panel setup to supply electricity for a long term outage AND the knowlege to keep it up and running? I dare say not many.

Boolit Master

more than you think. we have 2 solar systems, one set up to pump water and one for small electric needs and have 20 or so neighbors that have some kind of solar. most camper people have small solar set ups that charge electronics and what not. look at the roofs in most suburbs or cities and you will see lots of solar panels.

Im not set up with solar yet, but plan to have a small setup so I can keep my flashlights running.

I seen this on a facebook add. It sure seems like it'd be a handy item, I didnt read all about it though. https://waterlilyturbine.com/store/

Boolit Master
    The media player, where else can I keep my copy of Band of Brothers and The Pacific?

Boolit Grand Master
    If the SHTF for longer than the life of a typical solar system, powering a cell phone will be least of our concerns.
    Don Verna

I have several small solar devices that will charge a phone. Not much bigger than a smart phone the latest one has enough battery to charge several phones before recharging.

I have one of the cheaper Harbor Freight 40 watt glass solar panels but have not used it.
    Batterys I have, plus an inverter. Just in case.

As to stuff on my phone, nada. My smart phone has been lobotomised. No bluetooth, no wifi, no internet, I killed google as it was constantly upgrading and using up all my memory.

So my smart phone is a dumb box with a fairly decent camera.
    Google play keeps trying to turn stuff on and upgrade itself but it can't.

Meantime it does calls, text just fine. If I want more I reach for a computer with a screen big enough to see.
    Like this Asus T100 10" convertable.

About the same cost as a good phone, cheap enough that I can afford to replace it every 12 - 18 months.

Save address book, bookmarks, I keep one copy of reloading data for all calibers I reload on it. Big stash of PDF's of helpful stuff. It all transfers to a SD card via USB painlessly enough. Back up a couple of times a year. If something happens plug backup into the new box and go.

That is what I do, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If the SHTF for longer than the life of a typical solar system, powering a cell phone will be least of our concerns.
    So true and also if you do not want to be track.Do not have it with you because you can be track by it. If anyone come looking for you for one reason or another and you have a cell phone they will work on find you by it.But after it gose dead it is done for.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

They couldnt find you with it unless the towers are working could they?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    They couldnt find you with it unless the towers are working could they?
    Yep, 2 or 3 mobile units can triangulate any device giving off a radio signal, they just need a general idea where you may be to start searching.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Mobile units... like... black SUVs or something?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    no cell tower needed, they go phone to phone just like a walkie talkie.
    Got a link to that? Because all the walkie talkie apps I've seen use the network.
    And even if there is an app that uses a direct radio connection, I have serious doubts about the ability of a couple of 1900 MHz radios with internal antennas to maintain contact over a few miles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    Yep, 2 or 3 mobile units can triangulate any device giving off a radio signal, they just need a general idea where you may be to start searching.
    You can turn off the radio part. Pull out the sim card if necessary. And if things get that bad, I would remove the internal antenna.
    It's a whole lot more difficult to RDF a cellphone that is not connected to the network, than TV shows like Law And Order would have you believe. That phone would basically have to be beaconing and trying to connect to the network, AND those two or three mobile units you mention would need to be close enough to actually see you. A few hundred yards at best.

I seen on the news some time ago is that with some one cell phone they could find someone that was missing. As long that the battery was not dead.That is what they had said.It was a missing person that they where looking for at the time.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast