WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Liverwurst

Liverwurst

I forgot to post these here.

I had a deer heart and liver from last year and didn't know what to do with it and came up with the idea of Liverwurst, some of you might know it as Braunschweiger. Click the link if you want to get the recipe and see how its made.

Heart and Liver was 3.45#, 2# of ground venison and 2# of pork fat made 7.5# of Liverwurst. I've been eating it on Sandwiches and gave it to my neighbor that spent a lot of time in Germany in the Army and said it is just like he remembers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liverwurst-6.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	219679

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liverwurst-8.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	219680
    Last edited by archeryrob; 10-17-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Mustard on the bread with that in the middle...a nice thick slice of fresh onion on the side & a cold beer and you just had a great lunch!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Wow....that looks good. I've saved the link. I have always given the dog the liver cuz I didn't know exactly what to do with it. I eat the heart myself. I fillet it into strips removing all the fat, then marinade it in whatever spicy concoction I can come up with...then broil it. Its always delicious...but with a liverwurst recipe...I can make something that will last longer than one sitting.

thanx for the share.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Mustard on the bread with that in the middle...a nice thick slice of fresh onion on the side & a cold beer and you just had a great lunch!
    No beer for lunch, normally, but mustard and cheddar cheese is my preference. Beer at lunch tends to make me not want to work the afternoon.

Mmm, liverwurst. That looks great!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    I am posting so that I subscribe & hopefully will use up some of the venison stuff(liver/heart) I have, in trying the recipe! I usually just cook & eat it as a stand alone meat. This looks like good stuff & I like Braunswieger a LOT.

Thanks!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I've been doing more research as I shot one with a Hornady SST in rifle season and exploded the heart. Most livers are 2# or there about. I pack ground deer in 1.7# bags as three make 5# and I can use 2 and omit the heart.

Boolit Master

Ewww, just ewww. I love sausages, but have never been able to stomach anything made from liver. I love heart, this year my daughters first kill missed the heart and we had popcorn fried heart. It was amazing.

Banned
    I broiled some venison liver "rare" one time. Just about 2 min per side. That was the very best any meat either my wife or I have ever had.

Banned
    I asked the local butcher what the difference between "liver sausage" and braunschweiger was. He said, "Braunschweiger is smoked".
    Maybe he made that up. I like Braunschweiger but not liver sausage so much. My mother used to put a few drops of vinegar on it. MMMMMMMMMM

Boolit Master

I love Liverwurst, but the fat content gives me zits!

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I asked the local butcher what the difference between "liver sausage" and braunschweiger was. He said, "Braunschweiger is smoked".
    Maybe he made that up. I like Braunschweiger but not liver sausage so much. My mother used to put a few drops of vinegar on it. MMMMMMMMMM
    It is supposed to be, but I can tell you the commercial ones in plastic casings aren't because smoke would not penetrate it. I have to make a larger recipe this year because the In-Laws want more and told me "Do not change anything." I might make a 15# patch boiled again and a another 7.5# batch and smoke it in the smoke house to compare them.

Mattw, you have no idea what you are missing. I don;t really like fried liver, but have loved Bruanschweiger since I was a kid. Did you ever try it?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    A1 plus the bread needs to by RYE!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    A1 plus the bread needs to by RYE!
    + 1 on the rye bread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by archeryrob View Post
    It is supposed to be, but I can tell you the commercial ones in plastic casings aren't because smoke would not penetrate it. I have to make a larger recipe this year because the In-Laws want more and told me "Do not change anything." I might make a 15# patch boiled again and a another 7.5# batch and smoke it in the smoke house to compare them.

Mattw, you have no idea what you are missing. I don;t really like fried liver, but have loved Bruanschweiger since I was a kid. Did you ever try it?
    I eat it all the time. I like it on toast with onion and mayo and just on a plate with vinegar. There is a lot of difference between brands . Here in Wisconsin there are at least a half dozen different brands. Some places have 3 or four different brands in the same store.

Boolit Master
    I can make something that will last longer than one sitting.
    I don't see how you can make only 7 1/2 pounds of liverwurst last more than one sitting!

Boolit Master
    Coming from a German family (dad is from Kaiserslautern) I grew up devouring liverwurst, love the stuff if its properly made! Spread it on some old world German rye bread, that's all I need to be happy!

Wimberger's Old World Bakery and Delicatessen in Colorado Springs has the absolute BEST German rye on this planet! Nothing else comes close! They do mail orders, its worth it! Buy extra and put it in the freezer! For what its worth, all the German side of my family are all immigrants from there, many have gone back many times, been all over that country, all put Wimburgers rye at No:1
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 08-30-2019 at 10:36 PM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed