Titan ReloadingWidenersPBcastcoInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired of looking for auto pistol cases in the Grass ? . . . 'BrassCatcher'

Nicely done..

Notice that the length of grass in the first video is short enough to see the brass laying there...it gives them ample opportunity to roll over it several times before it's picked up when it's deep in the grass. If you don't see the brass then you'll likely leave it behind...not seeing the brass is the problem when picking it up by hand. So many times when I find a case that's been missing for long enough to tarnish, it's base down in between the grass clumps and roots...showing it's open end, the end that doesn't shine in the sunlight. I saw this roller a year or so back, wasn't impressed then & less impressed now.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Sweet idea. I've been doing the tarp thing. But I have taken to using plastic sheeting that I had, and sometimes, leave it in place. I put some firewood pieces around the edges to keep it down. Not ideal, but it works enough for me.

My biggest problem, is getting any of my buddies that want to come shoot, to cling to the tarp so it'll catch their brass. Guess they are more interested in the fun of shooting rather than the satisfaction of recovering 95%+ of their brass.

Two of these sewn together.

Mosquito Insect Canopy Field Netting Net US Military JUMBO 200" x 72" 17'X6' NWT

I like a previous posters use of PVC tube for storage.
    Glad I'm a pack rat now.

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent, but I don't have a dedicated shootin' place. If I had my own range, I just might copy yer design! In the mean time I just do two things to help me collect my brass; one tumble/polish my 30-06 and 45 ACP brass nice and shiny and two, I made a "brass picker-upper". I took a telescopic handle off a window squeegee and used a 1/8" spring steel rod (spring steel 'cause that what was in the bin) and ground one end to a point, mebbe 1 1/2". I bent the sharp end 90 degrees and inserted the other end in the squeegee handle. I just stick the pointy end in a case mouth and pick it up. No bending over. Still gotta find them first though. Open for brass hunts and collapse it when transporting my shootin' stuff...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I am another that is stuck using public ranges. The outdoor ranges will allow me to bring my brass roller and the grass is kept short enough that it's not an issue for me. Also I just feel that if I get a 60% recovery of shot brass outdoors then I did good, better than that is a bonus.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i use a cheap metal dector ( about $25 if i rember correct ). it works pretty good. ?

Hickory, my sympathy for Matilda. I guess I will start paying more attention to my chickens to see if any of them show promise. Raised four barred rock pullets once and one of them was way smarter than the rest. My mule would be bothered by horseflies in Spring and Fall. The practice was to use a fly swatter to kill the flies. The smart one was eating all the horseflies and I began to watch her. She watched which way I was turned and come to the side with the swatter in action. It seems that a horsefly flies under the horse's belly making them switch their tail learning where to land on the horse out of tail range. At about three months the smart one would stand under the mule and catch the flies as they made their pass. Then started jumping up to catch the flies on her legs as she grew bigger. When she was about four years old I advertised her as a free children's pet and gave her to a grandmother with small grandchildren. I wasn't hungry for chicken and dumplings. LOL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    A little creative thinking ought solve the .380 problem !

Buy this from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Yescom-Alumin...umbrellas&th=1

then hang a tarp or fabric 1/2 way around ---- your out of the weather, it's portable and your brass is contained

Boolit Master

Bullseye pistol shooters are using much smaller and portable brass catchers. Most have an opening of around 18". It sits close to the ejection area. Most have an adjustment for height. A dirty clothes bag is used as the net. They sell for around $80.00 or use some PVC and make your own.

Boolit Master
    Great job on the brass catcher to make brass retrieving easy , most of my autos throw them in a nice line but my favorite colt chunks them every where one out of every magazine hits me in the head at least .

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Back in the 70's I trained one of my chickens to scratch up my brass in little piles. This made it very easy to retrieve most of the empty cases that my 1911 would spue on the ground.

After about a year Matilda got real good at scratching up every single piece of brass.

I decided to take her with me to a bowling pin shoot. She was a big hit and everyone was amazed that a chicken could be trained to scratch up brass into a neat pile. Of course, Matilda could not distinguish between my brass and other peoples brass.

At the end of the shooting season, Matilda met her demise, she was caught scratching up brass that belonged to a short tampered guy who was not shooting his best that particular day and he shot poor Matilda out of pure meaniness for 'stealing his brass.'
    That's too bad about Matilda. Some people...sheesh! I hope you didn't invite him for chicken and dumplings.

Boolit Master
    I built a brass catcher similar to the OP on Friday.

Used it twice over the weekend. Only issue was that the wind came up & I had to use a couple of small sandbags to hold it down.

Worked great.

Total cost was about $20.00. Took about 30 minutes to make.

Right now I have not glued any of the joints together. I have it collapsed in my Jeep & it stows in a pretty small space, even when in the partly assembled pieces I am going to keep it in. It would even fit in the trunk of a car or in the back seat.

I will post a pic or two later.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Good idea , being able to break it down could come in handy .

Boolit Master

I'm in the process of inventing a "brass magnet".

Are you using high-grade electronic devices and magnetic gidgets on your invention Dieselhorses?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Are you using high-grade electronic devices and magnetic gidgets on your invention Dieselhorses?
    Yes sir. parts from Amazon should be here this week!

That one looks like the one I designed into my movable shooting carport kind of device.

As soon as I finish training the chicken brass picker uppers, I’ll offer them for sale.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB16CABD-14CC-41BC-B16C-B757E2A0069D.jpg  

Boolit Master

I want first dibs! I'm guessing they pick up all calibers?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    That one looks like the one I designed into my movable shooting carport kind of device.

As soon as I finish training the chicken brass picker uppers, I’ll offer them for sale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast