RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: CFE Pistol , tell me about it

Boolit Bub

CFE Pistol , tell me about it

I recently aquire a bottle of this , with specifically an eye to the velocities produced in std pressure .45 Colt . But being a newer powder , haven't seen much about it in various revolver ctgs .

Please share any experiences in other revolvers. .38 , .357, .44, .32, whatever . Thanks.

Boolit Master

Not revolvers, but quickly becoming a favorite for 380 and 45 acp. 95 grain cast at 925 out of a taurus tcp and 200 grain cast doing 1050 in a 5" 1911 with moderate loads is impressive to me. The recoil pulse is mellow, making the chrono readings that much more surprising, especially in the small guns, and muzzle flash is almost non existent for night time critter chasing.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I have been using CFE Pistol in 9 mm with a 130 gr cast with Hi-Tek coating. I shoot these out of a 5" Walther PPQ in USPSA matches, the powder is very clean and accurate.

I don't see any problem with using it in a revolver, I may try it next time I load .38 spl.

I have been using it in 38 special and 357 as well as several cartridges designed for semi autos.
    The velocities stated on the Hodgdon data site are very close to what I am getting with it. The accuracy is good and it isn't any dirtier than other powders. It measures consistently in the measures I use.
    I can't say anything bad about it.
    A friend loaded some in his 45 Colt and the velocities were close to the posted data on Hodgdon site as well. He doesn't shoot well so I can't speak to the accuracy.

I started using CFE Pistol due to local availability at reasonable prices. It behaves like a slightly slower Unique, but is much more dense (takes up less case capacity for the same weight).

This is from some recent load development, basically a .44 special load. Powder coated 210gr RNFP (Arsenal mold) 7.5gr CFE Pistol, Starline .44 magnum brass, Winchester large pistol primers. Shot at 25 yards from a bench with a 6" S&W 629. Shoots about the same out of a scoped Super Blackhawk Hunter:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180228_171328.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	219648

9mm cylinder in a flat top blackhawk at 25 yd. Mihec 135gr 360-135, 4.5gr CFE Pistol, mixed brass & Winchester small pistol primers. This load cycles in all of my 9mm auto pistols. Called that one at 11 o'clock:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180324_085222.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	219651

Boolit Master
    I got a number of the 8lb jugs during the shortage, I've found it works great in 380, 9mm and 38 special for me. I dont see any of the 'copper fouling erasure' since I use all lead but it goes bang and was economical. My only complaint is I had to blindly guess on the lee auto-disk as it was too new for their chart. Now that it's been out a few years I imagine there should be more load data.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Hodgdon reports some spectacular velocities with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hodgdon reports some spectacular velocities with it.
    Yes they do and in my testing, they appear to be correct. The loads I have tested match up with the velocities listed on the Hodgdon site.
    As far as data for the Lee disk measures, the newest data sheet has CFE powder listed and the sheet can be downloaded here---https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/AD3398.pdf

Boolit Bub
    I use it for .45 ACP and .38 Special and it does well in both, seems to go on sale regularly so that’s always a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve used it in 9, 45, 38 Special and 41 Mag. All went bang and gave decent results

Boolit Buddy
    I was looking at this powder also.

Thanks for the reports.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

during the obama era, when everything was hard to find, I tried some

I like it, it’s like a better metering unique

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Bub
    Haven't tried it in 45LC or my 44mag but see load info on hodgdon website. I have however found it to be accurate in my 9mm ,40,and 45auto. I shoot a 122gr tc in the 9mm I seat them a little deep at 1.050 and run 4.8 gr of cafe don't have a crono but it shows no pressure signs and shoots very accurate. My 45 I run 225 gr tc at 1.200 and 5.8 gr cfe and it also is very accurate. Still working on what shoots best in my 40

Boolit Master
    BULLET DIA POWDER GRAINS

230 FMJ 0.451 CFE Pistol P 6.0g
    230 FMJ 0.451 CFE Pistol P 6.8g
    230 LRN0 .451 CFE Pistol P 5.4g
    230gHP 0.451 CFE Pistol P 6.5g

THESE ARE ALL PUSHING AROUND 900FPS. I really like it in the autoloaders, not so much in the revolvers.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Man
    My go to small game recipe in my S&W 14 is 125gr Lee RNFP, 6.0 CFE, Win Sp for 1050. Further testing showed it did as well with RP and Fed brass.IMG.pdf

I have been using 5.0 grains of CFE Pistol under 150-160 grains boolits in 38 Special and get excellent accuracy and a bit more speed.
    Some of my best groups have been shot using that powder charge and the Lyman 358311. The holes aren't as cleanly cut but they are closer together.