MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Sue Bees whole chicken

Boolit Grand Master

Sue Bees whole chicken

I've always wondered what it was inside that can.
    Got a can, and a can of chicken broth, and made some chicken soup. Half a bag of egg noodles.
    It is a small whole chicken.
    Put everything in the crock pot and cooked on Med all day.
    Pulled all the bones out. Didn't add anything else to it.
    Came out good.
    Probably could have added some carrots, and maybe celery.
    At least now I know what's in that can.

One of my favorite hunting/camping meals.Ramon noodles with the chicken flavor pack.... woohoo,and canned chicken.My boys all make O.L.D. jokes about it.

Boolit Grand Master

I keep a few cans of canned beef and chicken in the cupboard. They make a quick meal when time is short. One of the cans of beef and some cornstarch beef gravey. Drained and a can of manwich makes very good barbqued beef sandwiches. Some broth frozen veggies and a nice vegetable soup. A can of the chicken drained add a can of cream of chicken soup hot chicken sandwiches. Some broth frozen veggies and a nice soup. A pie crust veggies and thickening makes a nice pot pie

Boolit Master

you guys really need to try a home raised chicken, you will never go back to that.

There's lots of good, quick, easy hot meals. One of my favorites is spaghetti. I keep a bunch of those little cans of tomato sauce, really not much more than canned pureed tomato. Hunts sells theirs for under half a buck. Take a handfull of spaghetti from the box in the freezer, about the diameter of a nickel coin, and drop it in boiling water for ten minutes. In the meantime, put a handful of sliced pepperoni in a skillet, warm it, drain and rinse the spaghetti, dump in the skillet, pour the can of tomato sauce in, stir, and voilą. Total time to prepare a hot meal is under 15 minutes and total cost is around $1.25.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    you guys really need to try a home raised chicken, you will never go back to that.

After homemade there is NO comparison. Store bought is absolutely flavorless and so full of nasty stuff its hardly meat at all.
    We always keep some home canned meat in the pantry. The best way to store meat long term in my opinion and makes a quick meal.

Now that said, we do usually have some store bought in the pantry just because its handy or we are out of the good stuff.

Boolit Master
    Can't raise chickens in the city......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Man you couldn't be more correct!
    We buy 36 chickens a year from the farm on the next ridge. Raised free range with no antibiotics (unless they need it). She takes care of about 100 families in this area with chickens, eggs, beef, sausage, bacon (to die for), ducks, etc.
    She processes them and puts them in plastic bags. We get three a month in May-November, then 15 or so in November. What we don't eat right away goes into the freezer.
    You are right - my 92 year old mother had one and said "....i haven't had chicken like this since I was a child".
    She is right- back when she was child chickens WERE all natural and organic!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    But you CAN find a farmer that raises them and buy them in bulk. Of course that means a freezer.....and guaranteed power (like a generator).
    Yes it takes more effort to eat like that but it is worth it.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Bub
    Most years, in late Fall, I find someone who does not want to over Winter their laying hens. Often these are small flock owners and they have heard their worn out layers are going to be tough. I can often get them free. They are tough, and chock full of flavor. When they come of a quart jar they are not tough anymore.

People raise chickens in Miami. They have a whole city department (two people, I think) devoted to catching chickens that run wild and disturb city folk. The Cuban people are used to having chickens, and they won't give them up just because some govt. type said they have to! I learned about this watching Mike Rowe catch chickens on "Dirty Jobs." He's a hoot and a half sometimes!

In Remembrance

Sounds good. Also good if you make gumbo.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    my sister lives in the middle of denver and raises chickens

Boolit Master
    And y'all call Alabama folk rednecks......

In this city dogs can't be tied up in the summer, nor can they wander around unattended. Which is good for both the dogs and the local populous.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I agree with rancher1913 , nothing like a chicken right off the yard . My mom grew up selling chickens and eggs . She could catch a chicken , have it rolled in flour and frying in 25 min .
    These store bought chickens taste nothing like a real yard bird .
    No turning back , No turning back !

One year, when I was in the Tennessee Army Guard, I was out toward Memphis to inspect the arms room at a battalion. While I was outside, I saw a pickup with a cage full of chickens pull up behind the mess hall. I asked the supply sergeant if they were really going to have chicken for lunch. He said "Yes sir, they're probably out there wringin' necks right now." We did have fried chicken that day.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Had 700 layers growing up on the farm. Only reason to have live chickens is as self propelled targets. 365 day a year gathering/cleaning/washing/sorting/weighing/boxing eggs.

Then clean the coops by hand with a pitch fork. In August so the manure could be spread on the wheat stubble and then plowed down.

Dad got rid of the chickens in June, I went off to college in August. He always said that there was no correlation.

Last thing I did that summer was clean out the chicken coops for the LAST time.

Yup, self propelled targets.

We home can chicken breasts we buy in bulk from a local meat market. Chicken salad in 10 minutes. Years of shelf life. Got to love it.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Several cans on the shelf with noodles, tuna fish etc as survival food. Rotate and use when the date comes up.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    But you CAN find a farmer that raises them and buy them in bulk. Of course that means a freezer.....and guaranteed power (like a generator).
    Yes it takes more effort to eat like that but it is worth it.
    When you can them no power needed just keep from freezing. We can lots of meat instead of freezing for the power loss problem in rural NH.

Eversource, what was PSNH, can't trim properly do to the tourists and greenies that want the scenic look.