Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Need help with colt new service

Boolit Master

Need help with colt new service

Got a real nice colt new service in 45lc. Took it out to test fire and trigger pull in double action is horrendous, single action is better but still very stiff.
    There is no gritty feeling. Gun is like new with very little holster wear on front of barrel and cylinder.
    Is there any way to adjust the hammer spring or is there a good replacement? DA pull is 16lbs Sa is 5lbs

Action parts for a 1909/New Service/1917 Colt might be scarce but I would get all the springs required and modify them- leave the originals alone. I'm pretty sure it uses leaf springs and grinding them narrower (control the heat) is the only way to lighten them afaik.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'd use the EASY button, and remove the sideplate first, check the internals for dried whatever (& dissolve with some clean kerosene), then apply a light bit of GunSlick black lube to the hammer/trigger pivot points, the sides of the indexing pawl & the sear, to see if that helps with your trigger pulls.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

There is a way to lighten the DA trigger pull on these old Colt DA revolvers, but I am not going to repeat it here, for if you screw it up, you will have the dickens to pay, finding a new part.

Best bet is to disassemble the lockwork, clean and relube. Be advises that these handguns are more complex that either S & W or Ruger. That said, it can be done by the average shooter. Take pics with the side plate off to see where everything goes.

The DA pull on these old Colt war horses are "robust" even in their finest form.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 05-03-2018 at 04:26 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    ^^^^What Char-Gar said^^^^

Old Colts are robust because they were intended to work all the time and go BANG~! under adverse conditions.

I would do nothing but carefully disassemble, clean and relube. Your trigger pulls sound correct for a service action.

If you can't live with the heavy trigger pull please don't bugger it, but sell it to a collector and keep it original.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

In the "Guns I should have kept" category was a 1909 military .45 LC that had been fitted with King adjustable sights and target grips. That big honker would shoot and scoot pins from the table. It developed timing problems so in my youthful ignorance sold it to the gunsmith that wanted more to fix it than I could swing. I didn't lose (much) money on the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

in my youthful ignorance sold it to the gunsmith that wanted more to fix it than I could swing.

It sounds like that gunsmith wanted your revolver for himself, and found a way to obtain it.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Adjusting the Colt springs is a job for a professional with spare parts. A leaf spring runs both the hammer and the trigger and you need to know exactly what to polish out where and how much. Bending or crimping the springs a little helps the trigger pull. First take off the side plate and claen out all the old grease and oil and then look it over. Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide is the BEST Colt Man I know.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    It sounds like that gunsmith wanted your revolver for himself, and found a way to obtain it.

Old age & treachery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Try Frank Glen out of Arizona.His turn around time is pretty fast.His contact info can be found on the Colt forum.

Banned
    69daytona,

Presuming that you want to keep the revolver ORIGINAL (I would if it was mine.). I would thoroughly clean/re-lubricate it & if that isn't enough to please you, FIND a "real, 'sho nuff' COLT smith" & give him the job.
    (in my experience the REAL pros on Colts don't work cheap.)

yours, tex

I am a fan of the Colt New Service having had eight or so over the years. I am down to two now, one a 1921 in 45 Colt and a good 1917 in 45 ACP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colt New Service (2) (640x319).jpg   Colt 1917.jpg small (640x317).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.