Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Adjustable Core Trimmer.

Banned

Adjustable Core Trimmer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1z34TEmdnk

this is my adjustable core trimmer that i use to trim lead bullet cores for my 30cal bullets.. i was not overly enthusiastic about the garbage trimmers that Corbin and other companies sold, so i made my own.. being the core is totally enclosed in the trimmer, the core is supported on all sides and there is no chance of misalignment or variations in cutting length like the most commercial trimmers. i have not seen the need for a core swage die with this trimmer.. the bolt is the adjuster and the wingnut is used to jam the adjuster bolt. it is pretty precise. im about to make a better one with a finer adjustment and made of all steel with a sharper cutting arm that should do a lot better.

Boolit Master
    I haven’t used one, but if you look at the blade geometry for cable cutters it’ll help ya. Maybe buy a set and just use the cutting side along with your core holder. Have you weighed 10 of the cut cores, how consistent are they?

Finally, gotta ask, if you’re casting them why not just cast the size you need, why cast and then cut?

Banned
    these cores are for everything from a 100gr 30cal upwards of a 165gr and is why i cast them long and then cut. im too lazy and is not worth my while to make molds for every weight core i load, so i just cast long and trim..

Boolit Buddy

Looks like a great solution if your lead is very uniform and you cast your cores. I wouldn't call the Corbin trimmer garbage though. I get excellent results when trimming wire all the way up to .430. Your set up fails when using wire which is what Corbin's trimmer is designed to handle. I could see why if you are casting cores, the Corbin trimmer would not be very satisfying.
    Zbench

To call Corbin's cutters junk is very harsh if you ask me
    I can cut 1,000 cores in 30 minutes and there within 1/10
    of a grain from one to another . But there is probably some great
    satisfaction of making your own cutter , I'll stick with the Corbin cutters .

In Remembrance

The real issue for me was always the poor quality control for the final weights of the cut cores. Try as I may, I could never get close to the accuracy I can get with a CORE SWAGE die. The core swage die is adjustable, and squirt out any excess lead through a bleed hole. Using the core swage die, I can get very tight quality on the weights of the cores. Especially if you do them in two steps. Takes longer than your cutting method? Sure. But, I am looking for much more exact weights on the cores, and get that with the core swage die set. My bullets, created from 5.7 X 28 FN donor brass for the jackets, with very tightly controlled core weights, are hitting bulletin board push pins at 100, 200, and 300 yards all day long. And, once set up for it, the core swaging process moves along very quickly.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy

Duke,

The core cutter in my book does not replace the core swage die. I cut my cores a couple of grains heavier than are needed, and then I run them through the core swage die. I can cut hundreds of cores from wire in just a few minutes which is a ton faster than anyone could cast them.
    Zbench

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I haven’t used one, but if you look at the blade geometry for cable cutters it’ll help ya. Maybe buy a set and just use the cutting side along with your core holder. Have you weighed 10 of the cut cores, how consistent are they?

Finally, gotta ask, if you’re casting them why not just cast the size you need, why cast and then cut?
    Years ago I read about the cable cutter core cutter and finally made one. However it is a bit cumbersome and not very good for quantity cutting. It does work well just slow. For the best results a core swaging die is a must.
    Bill