WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Sprue plate question.

Sprue plate question.

I've seen a few lyman moulds that have replaced sprue plates, that have the sprue holes not centered in the cavities. What will issue will this cause if any? If It doesnt pull metal from the sprue when its cut, would it be out of balance still?

Thanks.

~Bazoo

Boolit Grand Master

If its a clean smooth cut then it shouldn't matter a lot. If there is raised metal or pulled metal then it may matter more.

Depending on how they are off and how much they can be adjusted with the stop by filing to allow the plate to swing over more or making a stepped pin to hold it open more. Another way would be to drill and tap a 6 48 hole in the stop area of the plate and a screw ran in tight and cut to center the holes as the new stop.

Ones I seen on ebay are double cavity, and off pretty bad.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple of molds with off center sprue plates. Discounting the psychological factor which says "the boolits are unbalanced" I have not found any issues with inaccuracy with them.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Stubshaft, that is encouraging. Could you give more detail as to pistol/rifle, what mould and range they were fired at? And if the accuracy was compared to any other projectiles?

Boolit Master
    Extensive tests have been made with cast bullets over 50 years ago showing even minor damage to the base of a bullet causes inaccuracy. Cutting the sprue leaves a hole, smear or some other imperfection on the base of cast bullets.

When I read some of these tests years ago I wondered then why mold manufacturers didn't make more nose pour molds as imperfections on the nose have less bearing on accuracy.

I have found the powder coating process tends to fill in some of the minor imperfections. As far as an unbalanced bullet you are not going to see much difference under 50 yards, but step out to a 100 or more and a wobble will show up.

Boolit Master

I know I have to slow down casting when I start tearing out pieces of the bullet rather than cutting it clean

Dragonheart is correct that PC will fill some of the damage
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have done some more research on the subject, and found that for lyman moulds they offer 2 different sprue plates with different spacing between holes. So for lyman, at least, you should be able to get the right plate.

Boolit Master

I just bought a pair of 4cav sprueplates kits direct from LYMAN for a couple of old molds I bought at a garage sale a while back. They fit fine and the holes they cut are dead center in the sprues. I polished the bottom of each sprue plate, slapped them on and started casting. No problems at all.
    I know they've been working on QC. The 2cavs I got at the beginning of last year were rough as heck. Sent them a long letter. I think some one listened.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life