RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: MEC 500 (yes 500) and some loading tips for me

MEC 500 (yes 500) and some loading tips for me

Hey all! Geez it's been a while since I've been around.

I have been metallic reloading both rifle and pistol since 1987 when I was 17, for High power Rifle matches and some 3 Gun Pistol. Typically I use two Dillon 550RL presses. I cast bullets, and have several what some would call "collectable" molds in my stable. Everyone says that shotgun reloading is easier... I don't see it. There are more components, hulls, wads, powders, size of shot, and primers and every kind of combination imaginable. I see it as no easier... Just different.

I was just given a WWII Field Lighting Box full of shotgun reloading stuff. I've got a Webster RW-1 oil dampened scale (original box and paperwork), a MEC 500 progressive Press, and a whole bunch of paper hulls. The whole shebang was wrapped up in 1961 newspaper with a 20lb bag of moisture absorbent. Everything looks like new. There was also an unopened bag of Winchester WAA12R wads and a boxes of Nitro cards and fiber wads (1/2", 3/8" .135", .070"). There were 100 primers in original boxes CCI 109, Remington #57, and Winchester 209.

I have a bunch of paper Winchester 2-3/4 high brass that I wanted to load with 1-1/8 oz of 7-1/2 shot, with Winchester WAA12R wads. Was thinking 18.5gr Clay Dot and CCI 109 primer. Any help would be appreciated.

I do have a the 5th Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manual, but you know how it is. There is so much stuff out there and some of my components you can't even find anymore. So, just a "buddy bumper" in the gutter of the bowling alley to keep my ball straight, you might say. LOL

Thanks Guys
    Last edited by rattletrap1970; 04-30-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Boolit Master

I first thought is why load the paper shells? after several reloads they will worn out.

If you start with some plastic hulls you can replenish as needed and not have to reinvent the wheel.

then after you are adept at the process you can take a look at the paper hulls.

since I cowboy shoot we consume about a box a match. I've settled on Win AA Low Noise/Low Recoil (Featherlites) as most of the other folks use them and many don't reload shotgun shells. I can get 4 or 5 reloadings out of each--more if I had to but I usually come home with more empty hulls than shells I have shot.

I use reclaimed shot as it cheaper (in comparison to the new stuff--let's face it all of it is very high now).

I use Red Dot in all my pistol/revolver/pistol caliber rifles as well as the 12 ga shotgun.

I go with Claybuster wads from https://www.ballisticproducts.com/ and buy in bulk

I can reload for about $5 per box.

most importantly I can lower the pressure as my right shoulder has had two rotator cuff surgeries to date.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place