MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New to MLing, and photos of my new toy

Ok, so here's an interesting problem.... I was using a .45 caliber brush as a jag to clean with. The fit was about perfect after wrapping a cleaning cloth around it. The brush came apart from its threaded 'base', and is now stuck all the way at the bottom of the barrel. I've taken the nipple off and used compressed air to no avail. Nothing I've stuck down there will grab it.
    I've thought about pouring a small charge into the nipple hole, and firing it, but thought I'd ask y'all before I learn a lesson the hard way.

Boolit Grand Master

1st Don't use cheap brushes and you now know why. When you use a brush turn the brush clock wise before pulling back out. That turns the bristles so they aren't reversing themselves. Get a thin piece of pipe that is just under your bore size but as close to bore size as possible but will still slide down the barrel. It needs to be as deep as your barrel and the object is to get it around your brush so it is wedged in the pipe material rather than your barrel.

I use a older brush that is well worn so it doesn't fit so tight but I also wrap a cleaning swab around the brush to clean.
    Aim small, miss small!

Ahhh, that's a fantastic idea, thank you!

This bristle didn't "unscrew", it just came apart. But yes, "cheap" didn't serve me well, at all.
    Great info, thank you!

Banned

i don't EVER use a brush for BORE rifle fouling control or cleaning. i wanna use a patched jag in order to force the patch material into the rifling grooves. i size the jag and patch for a loose fit for fouling control and a tighter fit for cleaning.

HOWEVER, *IF* i have to deal with a patent breech's ante-chamber, THEN i must use a .32 brush (bronze or nylon) with a draped patch, because a patched smaller jag won't get that job done well if at all.

i address a fouling control patch with spit, water, or moose milk. cleaning requires tepid tap WATER, but moose milk is ok too as it usually makes folks feel warm and fuzzy by thinking it's gonna be better (it ain't). as an aside, taking care of fouling/cleaning maintenance ASAP is why i don't ever need chemicals and other cr@p for cleaning. ymmv.

Thank you!
    The hardware store didn't have any pipe suitable. I ended up using a coat hanger with the end shaped like a corkscrew.
    Took about 15 minutes of diddling with it, but finally got it out.
    Thanks fellas!

Boolit Master

Bob,
    if you think you hear giggling it's because you're not the first one to stick a brush in a barrel

Oh yea, no doubt. I've heard it a couple times in this thread. Between the giggles and head-shakes, and half grins, I'm sure y'all are having fun with my ignorance. I'm good with it. I am nothing if not humble and modest, and have no problem looking like an idiot publicly. It's the quickest way to learn, I've found. haha

Banned

heck, we're humans, we're all ignorant about one thing or another, and ignorance is a good title to have, it proves our humanity, and i wear mine well. hopefully we're shown and then we learn, and lose that ignorance title and become ed-u-ma-cated. choosing to use what we've learned depends on whether the matter is subjective or objective. in the case of objective, if we ignore what we've learned, we get to lose that ignorance title for a new title that isn't a good one.

Heck, Bob I stuck a Tornado brush in my .54 and had to use a drain snake to get it out! And now I know. Maybe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    If you feel you have to use a brush, get one from Cain's Outdoors. They are built so that that there is less chance they will pull loose from the stud. But never say never....

Amen fellas. But the difference between ignorance, and stupidity (although HERE, I feel it should be called "Stoopidity") is whether or not we tempt fate and try the same dumb thing again. I have no doubt I'll do it again, although I hope I find the correct tool some day before it happens again.
    Of course this time, it happened when I was "showing off" to my son. These kind of things never happen when we're alone.
    Times like these make me laugh at how God and life in general teach us the true definition of modesty and humility.
    Thanks all for your continued assistance.

Banned

bob, yer gun has a patent breech, and as such you will need a .32 brush and patch to get into it, clean it out, and light oil it. you will need to use that brush and dry clean patches to swab out most of the oil before loading. this is in addition to the patched jag for swabbing/cleaning out the bore. don't use a brush in the bore, it's totally not needed there and will not do as good a job as a patched jag. but the little brush is important for that patent breech. that's all there is to that, other than enjoying some good shootin'.

Boolit Bub
    That's correct. But, get that .32 cal brush from Cain's. They are on Ebay.

Good info, thanks fellas!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345