RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingGraf & Sons
StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationADvertise hereLee Precision

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New to MLing, and photos of my new toy

Ok, so here's an interesting problem.... I was using a .45 caliber brush as a jag to clean with. The fit was about perfect after wrapping a cleaning cloth around it. The brush came apart from its threaded 'base', and is now stuck all the way at the bottom of the barrel. I've taken the nipple off and used compressed air to no avail. Nothing I've stuck down there will grab it.
    I've thought about pouring a small charge into the nipple hole, and firing it, but thought I'd ask y'all before I learn a lesson the hard way.

Boolit Master

1st Don't use cheap brushes and you now know why. When you use a brush turn the brush clock wise before pulling back out. That turns the bristles so they aren't reversing themselves. Get a thin piece of pipe that is just under your bore size but as close to bore size as possible but will still slide down the barrel. It needs to be as deep as your barrel and the object is to get it around your brush so it is wedged in the pipe material rather than your barrel.

I use a older brush that is well worn so it doesn't fit so tight but I also wrap a cleaning swab around the brush to clean.
    Aim small, miss small!

Ahhh, that's a fantastic idea, thank you!

This bristle didn't "unscrew", it just came apart. But yes, "cheap" didn't serve me well, at all.
    Great info, thank you!

Boolit Master

i don't EVER use a brush for BORE rifle fouling control or cleaning. i wanna use a patched jag in order to force the patch material into the rifling grooves. i size the jag and patch for a loose fit for fouling control and a tighter fit for cleaning.

HOWEVER, *IF* i have to deal with a patent breech's ante-chamber, THEN i must use a .32 brush (bronze or nylon) with a draped patch, because a patched smaller jag won't get that job done well if at all.

i address a fouling control patch with spit, water, or moose milk. cleaning requires tepid tap WATER, but moose milk is ok too as it usually makes folks feel warm and fuzzy by thinking it's gonna be better (it ain't). as an aside, taking care of fouling/cleaning maintenance ASAP is why i don't ever need chemicals and other cr@p for cleaning. ymmv.

Thank you!
    The hardware store didn't have any pipe suitable. I ended up using a coat hanger with the end shaped like a corkscrew.
    Took about 15 minutes of diddling with it, but finally got it out.
    Thanks fellas!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345