Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Sabot wad for 12ga in 44 cal?

Boolit Buddy

Sabot wad for 12ga in 44 cal?

I'm having a hard time finding a 12 ga discarding sabot wad that would hold a 44 cal projectile to use in a rifled barrel ...the reason for 44 cal vs 50 cal is I have a good supply of 44 mag bullets .. Am I having difficulty because my google-fu is poor or am I just barking up the wrong tree.. But of course ...any ideas, input or experience would be appreciated.

Ed

Boolit Master

Yep, wrong tree for a 12 ga.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Greetings CrashGuy, I can only talk about what I was working on Super Blazing Sabots for .45 cal bullet in 12 and 20 ga.
    Next we were working on .480 cal Sabots. We had a number of multi cavity molds made and were almost 90% done when we lost the support and friends who stood by me to motivate my desire to come up with the answers.
    To do it right one has to start from bottom up and each component has to be made to help support the next, not mix and match components from shotshell.

**--** These Super Blazing Sabot kits were sent out to my friends with Sabots, OP wads, Nitro cards, felt wads, bullets, pens and target sheet ! !
    Sorry I still did not answer to your question about Sabots for .44 cal.
    Maybe you too can built your own with a 3D printer, others will soon chime-in and help.

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 05-02-2018 at 10:14 AM.

A friend printed me a few dozen 12ga sabots that hold 44 cal bullets. I have shot maybe 20 of them, with inconsistent results.

I am sure any pistol bullet caliber 12 ga sabot would need to be dimensioned to fit a particular bullet as well as the barrel of your rifled shotgun. I doubt anyone will ever offer a 44 cal 12 ga sabots on a commercial basis. I am considering buying a 3D printer to make my own sabots, but hopefully that thought will pass.

BB

Banned
    Hello BikerBeans, can you please post a few pictures of the sabot and the bullets weight that they were designed for.

Thank you.

Ajay Madan

Ajay,

I will get you some pics. Not sure what bullet the sabots were intend for but I have custom 325g JFP bullets that fit perfectly in these sabots.

BB

Ajay,

Pic attached. Note the loaded sabot has an OD of 0.730". I fired these from a rifled shotgun with a 0.732" groove and they keyholed at 25 yards. I tried them in a marlin 512 with 0.727" groove and nice round holes at 60 yards. I shot a 2.5" 3-shot group at 60 yards using my elbows for a rest. Good enough shooting for me to continue working on them.

Also I have not recovered a single piece of the sabots?!?! I have shot one from the hip while watching in front of the barrel and saw nothing.

I am loading the sabot over a 12S3 wad with the petals cut off. One 0.125" hard card under the sabot and finished with a roll crimp. Blue dot powder, 209A fed primer. Win aa 2 3/4" hull.
    No chrony, yet. Sabot bullet total weight is 1.05 oz.

BBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180430_192056.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	219602
    Last edited by bikerbeans; 04-30-2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Added weight

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Yep, wrong tree for a 12 ga.
    LOL... got it.... I'll use'em up in a muzzle loader...

Boolit Master

Thought for a while Uncle Dino and I were getting some Hubel sabots to perfect bullets/loads for but just never happened. He had several designs made to fit wad exactly.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Thanks my friend BikerBeans, this topic is getting interesting with the help of your pictures.
    If you were to switch 12S3 to 12S4 wad you will have more hull room:

The picture just to show different wad height enough to give you room to add .170 darker nitro card for a stronger base at launch.
    We are all in it to win it.

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 05-01-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Boolit Master

I figure any of those would leave a mark on what it hit!

looks like quality workmanship, too
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Ajay,

NOT CORRECT 12S4 are still available (No luck finding the 12s4 wads, they are discontinued,) as are the 12s3. I have a decent stash of 12s3 so I will work with them.

BB
    Last edited by bikerbeans; 05-02-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Banned
    Brother BikerBeans, never mind if you don't have the 12S4 wads, I have them all but since I moved to a newer home some 2 1/2 to 3 hours away I left all my tools and loading equipment back in the old house.

Little by little my son keeps bringing my stuff, I just got two boxes full of molds and some Super Blazing Sabots right now.

Wish you the very best in your tests.
    Ajay

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Ajay,

No luck finding the 12s4 wads, they are discontinued, as are the 12s3. I have a decent stash of 12s3 so I will work with them.

BB
    Is this true? The 12S4's are in stock everywhere I look. The 12S3 is a good wad, but it's just a 1 1/8 oz trap wad, with aftermarket options. The 12S4 is a great field wad, and i'm not aware of any clones or good alternatives.

I stand 1/2 corrected, 12s3 is discontinued, 12s4 appears to still be in production.

BB

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    A friend printed me a few dozen 12ga sabots that hold 44 cal bullets. I have shot maybe 20 of them, with inconsistent results.
    Any chance you(r friend) might share those 3D printer files? Be a good place to start modifications for different boolet shapes vs starting over.