Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: 223 Encore?

223 Encore?

Anybody loaded boolits for a Encore 223? Ive got one (barrel) on the way and wonder what luck folks have had with this setup. Barrel is 24 inch blue and going to wear a scope.

Like to develop loads for subsonic as well as faster loads.

Thanks.

Boolit Master

I have 243 and 30/06 Rifle barrels for my Encore and a 454 pistol barrel they are great hunting rifles my 454 shoots castboolits
    great have not tried in rifles yet
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Pro hunter stainless fluted 243.Must be one in a million if basing it from online reviews,haha. Meaning,I had reservations because of all the bad "press".Uhhhh,it's a tackdriver. Hasn't seen a JB though.But the whole platform is better suited to hunting.Trying to shoot break open rigs off serious BR bags is just an excersize in frustration.... on/off/on/off/on/off bags.

Boolit Master
    I have a T/C Venture (22") and a T/C Contender carbine (21") in 223 which have the same twist as my 22 Hornet. I am assuming your barrel will have the same twist as my 22 Hornet T/C carbine (21") as well. The bad news is that neither of the 223's with scopes will shoot CB's as accurately as the Hornet with iron sights at 50 yards. Both of the 223's are outstanding with jacketed boolits even when dropping the MV's for the jacketed down to CB velocities of 1800-2200 fps. In the Venture, I have had some limited success with CB's using powders such as 3031 (16-17 gr) and RE-7 (I forget the load) both giving velocities of about 2000 fps. The good news is that all barrels have a different personality so you will just have to experiment. BTW - I am using the old Bator Lee mold (53 gr.) in the Hornet and the new Lee mold (58 gr.) in the 223's which both rifles like better after multiple tests. The 223's have been quite the challenge and are still a work in progress.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 05-03-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Nice. I have gotten everything except for the barrel. Cant wait. Should be fun.

Boolit Master
    Bigted i have been hunting with the 223 bbl and lead tip hand loads with copper jackets in the encore for about 5 years now very accurate out to 300 yds. Now have mold for making cast and will be experimenting with pc and diff. Powders to see what speed will work with what i have. Been very accurate so far at 3250 FPS. But will need to go slower with pc cast. Will be casting in the very near future to try these out.

Cool. Thinking i will give my new lee 6 banger a warm-up tomorrow. They are sure small but new experience for sure.

Cast up a bunch of the lee 55 grain boolits yesterday. MAN they be small.

Dont know if my big ol fingers can manipulate them or not. I tumble lubed these and will load em with a bit of Unique and IMR 4227 to begin. Maybe try a few loaded with a bit of 2400.

I may need to PC some but i dont like pc'ing. Hoping that these water dropped lubed boolits will work as cast at .2255 inch. Prolly be next Sat before i can get to shoot.

Delete a double post

Boolit Bub

Try RCBS 55 grain straight ww boolit with 6.7 grains of Unique. Mine loves them.
    Last edited by Drifty4; 05-09-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.