RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Marlin 336 35 Rem micro groove and Lyman 358430

Marlin 336 35 Rem micro groove and Lyman 358430

Anyone shooting this combination and getting accuracy? This is a non gas check 195 blunt boolit. I am considering adding this rifle to my collection and have this mold. Thanks ahead of time.

Boolit Buddy
    Can't say a thing about the mold, but I sure do like the rifle.
    I picked one up late last year and used it to take a couple of does.
    First doe was my first head shot. Hit her about 1" behind and below the right ear.
    It broke (or separated) every bone in her neck.
    I hit the second doe with a chest shot about 3 seconds after dropping the first.

I just love the utility of a lever action rifle.

+1 on the cartridge. Very effective. I use the RCBS 35-200-FN, but your's should be very good as well..

Boolit Master

Years ago I used to load the 150 version of the 358430 boolit for my 336 35 Remington as a plinking load. Range was about 50 yards and I recall that the accuracy was pretty good. They fed through the magazine just fine.
    Chuck

Microgroove users generally use a slightly harder fatter bullet to get good accuracy. As the bullet in not gas checked you might not have much hassle at lower velocities. Lee even makes a gas checked mold similar to the RCBS.

DP

Boolit Master
    There are just two downsides to the wonderful 35 Rem cartridge: first is that it has almost NO throat in a normally chambered gun. And second is the little short neck. So the first downside means probably your boolit will be real hard to chamber if you crimp at the crimp groove and you'll find that you need to seat so the top driving band is just barely exposed. And second downside means this leaves the bottom grease groove down in the powder and you have no crimp to amount to anything.

These downsides haven't kept me from shooting a fair number of revolver-friendly casties out of my 35 Rem but they did ultimately cause me to settle on the 200 grain boolit designed specifically for 35 Rem that Lyman, Lee, and RCBS all make moulds for. I have the Lyman but it no longer gets used since I got the wonderful 6-cavity Lee (which appears to be a direct copy of the RCBS version).

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I have used that boolit in 35 rem. I used Unique, but not in front of my data right this moment. I tested it out to 60 yds with iron sights and it stayed under an inch. I think I got the load data from an old lyman book. Seven to eight grains if my memory serves me correct, but DO NOT use it until you check with a source you trust. In my gun it would chamber fine but in my brothers gun it had to be short seated in the case. I perfer the Lyman 204 round nose or the RCBS 200 FN. I load both the latter boolits from 1200 fps all the way to hunting velocities. Lee makes a two and six cavity clone of the RCBS style and it shoots good in both our guns. If I could only have one it would be the flat nose RCBS style.
    I have also used that bullet in 38 special and 357, but never had any great success past about 25 yds. Too heavy and not enough speed.
    Tony

OK fellas, thanks for the responses. All I needed to do was look at Lyman's first cast bullet hand booklet of 1973 to see a bunch of data using a 35 Rem. 336 as the test gun. Many powder choices with that exact bullet and their usual recommendation to keep cast bullet velocity below 1600 FPS in micro groove barrels. I see a unique load that gets into 1500 FPS and that looks like just what I am looking for. My plan is hard cast wheel weights water dropped (20 BHN) and not sized if they will chamber. Again, I have the mold and now just need the gun to go with the mold. I think I have about 10 35 Remington cases. If I get the gun, that will be the next quest is to procure properly headstamp 35 Remington cases.

Boolit Grand Master

Go ahead and find the cases NOW! They did a run on them several months ago and I suspect that when those are gone it will be awhile before they do another run. May already be too late.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I have 4 35Rems, Rem 14-141-8 and a 336 Maurader. I shoot 200 Jrn in all of them. I only use them for Deer hunting. The pointed 35 cal bullets don't do well in any of the. None are scoped
    all have peeps. I've killed a mess of deer and about half were shot with 35s. I have a couple molds
    but never bothered to pour any yet.

Boolit Master
    So, are the new "Remlins" ballard cut or micro groove? Nice used ones are going for as much or more than new ones.

Update. Got a well worn early 50’s 336 SC 35 Rem. Wasn’t able to upload the pic for some reason. Pre-Micro groove with a waffle top. Found a stash of brass. Looking forward to cycling this broke in action and plinking steel at 200 yards.

Boolit Master
    I have a well worn 336 micro grove with the factory box of ammo that came with the gun. Has only shot 12 bullets its entire life. None have been by me. Once I get some free time this winter I plan on changing that. I have some friends who shoot 35rem for whitetail. They love it.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    So, are the new "Remlins" ballard cut or micro groove? Nice used ones are going for as much or more than new ones.
    They go for what they are worth. JM Marlin > Remlin

Boolit Master
    The newer ones have Ballard style in .35. The .30/30’s still use Micro Groove.

Disregard what Lyman says regarding bullet sizing for the Marlins.
    Size the bullets to .360 or .361”. The MG barrels are a little oversized.
    I shoot the RCBS 200gr FNGC at 2,050fps and get better than 2moa 5-shots. I’ve run them as fast as 2,200 but accuracy is better at 2,050.

According to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd edition, for the #358430, Unique; start 9.5 @ 1,370: Max 12.5 @1,665.

This reminds me, I have ~500 Lee 160 .358 RFN unsized or lubed sitting on the casting cart.
    Hmmm....

Boolit Master
    I swear my new 35 I got 2 years ago or so has micro in it I could be wrong

Boolit Master

I have that bullet in the HP version and with Pat Marlin's .35PB gas checks, it really shoots nice. Due to the throat, it has to seated fairly deep but I keep a bunch loaded for my old 336./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

My .35 Rem is my old Dad's 336 deer rifle. When I inherited it I fired a ton of 158 grain GCSWC sized .359 through it, just plinking. That went on for years. It was the first gun I ever cast for. All that time, (over 25 years now) I've lived in shotgun-only states, so never hunted with it, not even once, but I know it will shoot 358315 sized .358 well, 'cause I bought some once. They shot about 2-3 MOA group after group after group over 37 grains of 3031, which had been Dad's load, from his notes. Will probably be the last rifle I let go of, partly for sentimental reasons, but other than for warfare I consider it one very fine all-round rifle. I have a squirrel load that is a 148 grain HBWC with 4.0 grains of Bullseye, and a subsonic 158 SWC load which will kill chucks in the garden from my bathroom window, (about 30 yards max).

I see no reason why the 358430 shouldn't do well. It has enough full-diameter length to guide properly in a Microgroove barrel. That round nose may not kill game as well as a SWC, but that's my only complaint, and it's not much of one. Cast it fairly soft, size it .359 or even .360, lube it with almost anything, and crimp in the forward groove, which will help your powder build pressure better. Keep the loads to 1200 fps or so, which six grains of Red Dot will do nicely. (It was long after I developed that squirrel load that I discovered how well Red Dot does for light cast boolit loads. I ought to go back and try it with the HBWC.)
    Last edited by uscra112; 06-28-2018 at 02:09 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Got the 358430 mold for a 1951 production .35 and not time to work with it.
    Planning on this one to fit the chamber but again, time is hard to come by these days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.35Rem mold planning.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	222797