WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ticks :-(

Banned

saw in the local paper that this year is suppose to be exceptionally bad for ticks.

Boolit Master
    A small dab of Peppermint oil and the tick backs out by itself.

Winelover

Just yesterday we had an abrupt end to our Mothers Day camping trip in mid Michigan. Found a tick buried in my 5 year olds back and momma was DONE with the festivities. It's amazing how many of the *** hats in white coats don't believe ticks in Michigan can cause Lymes disease. Thought this stuff was common knowledge.

Boolit Master
    I live in the foothills of the Ozarks, and of course we are over run with deer. Always had more than our fair share of ticks. Always just pulled 'em off. A flatlander I know proposed using cotton balls and petroleum jelly to smother 'em. It would take a pickup load to handle them in the woods around my place. Just pull 'em off.

Boolit Buddy

This past Saturday, I picked 6 off the dog. We had been out in the woods that day, kayaking and enjoying the outdoors. Got home, took a shower, scrubbed and got dressed for the evening. After all that cleaning, I found a tick on my back that had already attached itself. Dang things really are bad this year.

Boolit Master
    We use Frontline Plus on the dog; so he's ok, but one announced itself to me this am at the office.

Banned

Ticks are abundant here in the Ozarks and I agree with the notion that there will be a lot of ticks here this year.

Moderator Emeritus

I have been in thegarden, out by the compost pile in waist high grass... no ticks... SW MN had a cold spring so it might have them delayed.

Moderator Emeritus

Well I spoke to soon, had a wood tick crawling on me today. He met his demise under a 50bmg bottle opener... flat tick!

Boolit Buddy

well hope they stay away from my place,

been hearing about them being thick, here in northern IN, but my immediate area, they are actually below normal in what Im finding on me, normally 2 or 3 after mowing or weedeating, lately its been maybe one if that, and they are not biting at least on me, they are crawling but none have decided to burrow in , been sprinkling seven granules in the yard and areas Im in a lot, maybe that's helping, but my barn cats this yr who normally show up with 2 or 3 hanging on their ears, are not showing up with anything so far, what ever it is, that's working Im glad

, having delt the last few yrs with being told I have lymes and then not having lymes, and they really don't have a good test from what I was told, for a positive this is it, diagnosis but went through about 5 doctors on this, and the last one pointed out different things in his conversation saying he didn't think I actually had lymes , like other cases he has seen, his big thing was white count , which was good and all others had white count issues which to him was the deciding issue, but he had no answer for the chronic fatigue I still deal with
    best one of the month,

about unique and IMR unequal, They really did duplicate it, made it equally unobtainable

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    We use Frontline Plus on the dog; so he's ok, but one announced itself to me this am at the office.
    I would not consider him "ok" just because you use Frontline on him. For one the tick preventatives for dogs vary greatly from dog to dog. What works on one may not work on another. In my case Frontline does not work on any dogs in our family. It failed to prevent or kill any ticks that attached. It's more suited for an urban environment

My GSP caught Lyme two years ago. It's even a controversial subject w/ vets for some reason. And I'm still not sure if my dog really had Lyme. The test at the vets was positive. They then sent a sample out for testing. It only showed positive once in twenty attempts. This was a two week process, thanks to the doctor that checked my dog going on vacation and not telling us. The other doctors at the practice would not get involved because it was Lyme related. Eventually my dog was treated as a precaution.

At the time, and to this day, we use Vectra 3D on him. It failed to kill the tick that gave him Lyme. But it does the best job of keeping them off of him. They gave me a pamphlet for a new treatment that's a pill. But it's even more costly then the Vectra. And I'm not talking a few dollars.

We've had to really cut down our time in the woods. W/ a one and four year old son at home Lyme is terrifying. I don't want to even think about them getting it. I don't think I would ever forgive myself if it happens because I failed to find one on the dog and it infected one of the kids. Lyme is an ignored epidemic in the north east. Doctors refuse to diagnose and treat it properly. Throw in the Lone Star ticks that carry a disease that makes you allergic to red meat and ticks are very scary little creatures.

Moderator Emeritus

Where I am west nile disease is more likely... mosquitoes are thick at sundown already...

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    We got em. Everywhere. We just have to use lots of spray and constantly check each other for them at night before they dig in tight.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    We are getting tiny little ticks here that I didn’t used to see. I’ve pulled two off of myself already, one in a place I don’t even want to think about having an infection! I think I will try the permethrin this year.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123