Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Would you load and fired this?

Question Would you load and fired this?

I have some Accurate 4350 powder that was given to me and want to use it up. But I only have a 30-30 to use it in and can't find any load data for that caliber. I had a friend run some numbers through QuickLOAD, and wanted to know if you would use this load.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	219559
    Using Tapatalk

Banned

110 grain bullet is to light for 4350. Here are some loads off the a Marlin forum:

150 gr bullet - IMR 4350 min. 32.0gr - 1690 fps
    max. 36.0gr - 2012 fps - compressed load

170 gr bullet - IMR 4350 min. 30.5gr - 1570 fps
    max. 34.5gr - 1915 fps

Boolit Master
    To be honest I would not use the AA4350 load you asked about. 20K psi is really low for this powder. Not sure but think you run the risk of incomplete powder burn or What they call SEE in which the powder doesn't burn normally but goes off all at once. More informed shooters may have a different take. Normal powders for the 30-30 would be 3031, 4895, or other powders by different manufacturers with the same burn rate. Frank

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    sence you have the powder i would suggest buying a gun to use it with. this has worked in the past with the wife picking up odd range brass untill you have enough then you have to have a gun to shoot it in after all not using it would be such a waste.

AA4350 was never designed or expected to be used in the 30-30. I would expect to get poor results at best and damaging results at worst.
    AA4350 is intended to burn properly in high pressure cartridges such as 30-08 and 7mm mag.
    Accurate Arms doesn't even recommend it for the 308 Win since the powder capacity of the case isn't large enough.

Moderator Emeritus

If you can't use it trade it to someone who can.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Your proposed load with the 110 grain jacketed bullet is safe enough (SEE is a phenomenon of slow powder in partly-filled cases) but is very wasteful of a fine powder -- you could get the same velocities with 1/3 the powder with Unique, for example. If you go ahead with that bullet you can stuff in a couple more grains of the powder for a little more adequate pressure and velocity.

But 4350 is a wonderful cast boolit powder -- the good old 31141 or similar 170 to 180 grain boolit on top of about 35 grains (however much you can stuff in) of your 4350 has has given good accuracy and shot plenty of deer out of 30/30's. Of course if you insist on jacketed the same charge will be a decent load with the regular flat-nosed jacketed 30/30 bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    sence you have the powder i would suggest buying a gun to use it with. this has worked in the past with the wife picking up odd range brass untill you have enough then you have to have a gun to shoot it in after all not using it would be such a waste.
    Perfect Logic is so refreshing.