Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Ribs this Year

Boolit Grand Master

First Ribs this Year

Finally had decent weather and the time. Came out great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby Back Ribs.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	219558

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Was looking at ribs at the store yesterday...

Boolit Grand Master

Brought some home from the store today!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Nice looking ribs.....
    We almost had some Sunday, wife and daughter come home with two packages or baby back's, when I opened the first , to do my dry rub thing....they didn't smell right ! The second package didn't either. The wife, who has the nose of a blood hound, confirmed my suspicions...no ribs tonight !
    I kept the sales receipts and package labels ...the market will make it right...but I had my mouth set on BBQ baby back ribs and I had to settle for grilled New York Strip steak ! Bummer !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Never take a chance Gary, trust the ole snozz. I must be in the air, as the wife took out ribs for dinner tomorrow...

How many of you alls wives will smoke ribs will you are off working all day.. Mine is a true gem..

Banned
    You know it's a crime to talk about ribs here and not post your recipes

Boolit Grand Master
    Mike Mill's Magic Dust

1/2 cup/120 mL paprika
    1/4 cup/60 mL kosher salt, finely ground
    1/4 cup/60 mL sugar
    2 tablespoons/30 mL mustard powder
    1/4 cup/60 mL chili powder
    1/4 cup/60 mL ground cumin
    2 tablespoons/30 mL ground black pepper
    1/4 cup/60 mL granulated garlic
    2 tablespoons/30 mL cayenne

I use this and tweak it a bit. Been using it for several years now.
    I slather the ribs with yellow mustard first, then shake this on fairly heavy. There are many many recipes for meat rubs.
    Make your own. Don't buy it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Smoke and Spice is my go to cookbook for rubs for smoking.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

"First ribs of the year"

I have heard that there are people that dont smoke or grill in winter. Never understood that as I love BBQ all year not just summer.
    A few years ago my record was -10* when smoking a Christmas turkey. I beat that a couple months ago with a -17* windchill pork loin.
    I'll admit it, I like BBQ

Banned

I have ribs almost every Tuesday or Wednesday. Baby backs or St. Louis.

Found 4 packages of beef ribs n sale for 55% of at Walmart yesterday. I will be smoking them tomorrow.
    I love beef ribs, but most of the time they're not worth it for the price, since they're mostly bone. I'm not talking about plate ribs. I have to drive 35 miles to a butcher shop to get those.

Moderator Emeritus

I used to fire up the smoker all winter... now the older I get the less appealing standing out in the snow gets...

My favorite on ribs is rub with Smokin' Guns mild rub, mop once an hour with olive oil/apple cider vinegar.

Not baby backs , but got a bunch of side ribs here for the ridiculous low price of 99 cents a pound , gonna cheat though , 25 minutes in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker , slaver them up with some Baby Rays and a few minutes under the broiler in the gas oven.
    loading 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 223 Rem, 22-250, 220 Swift, 6MM Rem, 6.5X55, 7X57, 7-30 Waters, 30-06 , 32-20 Win, 303 British, 38/357 , 12 and 20 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I used to fire up the smoker all winter... now the older I get the less appealing standing out in the snow gets...

My favorite on ribs is rub with Smokin' Guns mild rub, mop once an hour with olive oil/apple cider vinegar.
    You sound like me. Use to think you can't get to cold to grill out (or too wet). Now especially since the wife got sick, just as soon cook inside on the stove when the weather is bad. Maybe I'm getting too old to have fun anymore????
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Shiloh, what kind of wood did you use?

I did a brisket last Sunday and 2 meatloaves yesterday. Meatloaves were a combination of beef, buffalo and pork. Used 80 to 90% oak and the rest hickory wood with both.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    "First ribs of the year"

I have heard that there are people that dont smoke or grill in winter. Never understood that as I love BBQ all year not just summer.
    A few years ago my record was -10* when smoking a Christmas turkey. I beat that a couple months ago with a -17* windchill pork loin.
    I'll admit it, I like BBQ
    My smoker won't hold the heat in winter. If it cold and I keep the wind off of it, I can smoke meat. Dead of winter in the upper midwest?? No way unless you have a shed to put your smoker in and vent it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Shiloh, what kind of wood did you use?

I did a brisket last Sunday and 2 meatloaves yesterday. Meatloaves were a combination of beef, buffalo and pork. Used 80 to 90% oak and the rest hickory wood with both.

Red oak. I have other woods, but seem to keep going to the oak. Red and white, mostly red.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Moderator Emeritus

Red oak is my hands down favorite in a stick burner BBQ pit.

We use a lot of cottonwood here. Its all we have unless you special order wood.
    I do have some apple I hoard and am going to cut down some cherry trees tomorrow that some one wants gone.

Quote Originally Posted by dave524 View Post
    Not baby backs , but got a bunch of side ribs here for the ridiculous low price of 99 cents a pound , gonna cheat though , 25 minutes in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker , slaver them up with some Baby Rays and a few minutes under the broiler in the gas oven.
    Update: did them last night, rubbed them with a mixture of sea salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika, stood them on edge on the trivet in the Instant Pot with a cup of apple juice and cooked on high for 25 minutes and let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Had the broiler going in the gas oven, the ribs were fall apart tender taking them out of the pressure cooker, mopped them both sides with BBQ sauce and put them under the broiler till the sauce just started to bubble. Maybe not ribfest prize winners but sure were good for probably an hour tops prep time.
    loading 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 223 Rem, 22-250, 220 Swift, 6MM Rem, 6.5X55, 7X57, 7-30 Waters, 30-06 , 32-20 Win, 303 British, 38/357 , 12 and 20 gauge

This is our sunday lunch.
    Bruschetta with tomato and a large salad accompany the meat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170422-WA0009.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	219995

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast