Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox

Thread: 22 Chamber Swage Tool?

22 Chamber Swage Tool?

Posting this in both the rimfire subforum as well as gunsmithing.

Does anyone have a 22 chamber swage I could borrow? I'll gladly pay shipping, both ways, and have it back in a reasonable amount of time.

Picked up an older mkii. Previous owner must have displaced or lost the firing pin stop, rebound spring and support. Needless to say, the chamber is damaged and resulting in stuck cases.
    Non satis scire

Boolit Master
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Ruger semi auto pistol or MKII Martini International?. Just checked the provided link and that item is discontinued and no longer available. May I suggest visiting rimfirecentral.com and scroll down to the martini section as I believe this subject just came up recently. Hope this helps. Frank

Boolit Bub
    If it's like the one listed in the above link I have one you could borrow.

Good Luck, Ken

Boolit Master
    I was surprised to see that Brownell's no longer has this tool available. Not sure if they were made up specifically for Brownell's or if they were routinely available from another vendor, then adopted into the Brownell's catalog. In any event that is one very handy tool to have available, used mine only last week on a many times dry-fired Ruger SR22. That pistol had a big enough burr that loading live ammo into the chamber, then extracting fired brass from it, had become all but impossible. This tool cured it of what ailed it for the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post

I was surprised to see that Brownell's no longer has this tool available.

Not sure if they were made up specifically for Brownell's or if they were routinely available from another vendor, then adopted into the Brownell's catalog.

The tool was offered from several different vendors besides Brownell's, but the supply was always low because the actual manufacturer (Tom Menck, Omaha, NE), a small maker of various gunsmithing tools, made them as a sideline/compliment to his product mix.

The ironing tool was discontinued by Menck for whatever reason - the death of Tom Menck, a too-low profit margin, consolidation of the product line, etc, etc (IDK).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Borrowee Found
    Thank you, SNDBGGR1484
    Non satis scire

Boolit Master
    Mischief managed it seems. But another reason for the limited supply is that while this is one of the tools that is worth buying for the gunsmith who does the job regularly, anybody can make one good enough for one-time use.

All you need is a piece of No2 drill rod, even a piece that has already been turned into a drill. Just make a flat or groove on one side the smallest that will accommodate the burr. It should in theory be about .004in. undersize, so you can experiment with shims of soft metal like drinks cans and coffee can seals until you fine one that makes it a tight fit. If the burr is very slight, I suppose you could manage all right with simply forcing the unflatted rod home. But it is much better to slide it down with the burr in the flat or groove, and then rotate it. That drives some of the burr back into the dent, reducing the chances of impaired firing-pin impact. Epoxying it into a large file handle or holding it in a dismounted drill chuck should give you the turning force you need.