Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Case separated at mid point. How to remove?

Boolit Buddy

Case separated at mid point. How to remove?

Had a case separate mid body when ejecting with bolt gun. Forward portion of case remained in chamber. I have tried the cleaning brush method of removal but could never get a grip sufficient to remove. Anyone go another method they have used sussfually?

try to get a little penetrating oil between the case and the chamber. Then clean the inside of the brass and try the cleaning brush method again.

I use Stainless brush for this.

Is this straight wall or bottleneck case? I'm assuming bottleneck.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Try this before you go any route its easy its cheap and has worked everytime for me even to remove case stuck in dies. CRC makes product called freeze spray instantly freezes surfaces to -50c. available at any parts supply, Oriellys pep boys the lot. Part # 74086 I've sprayed it through the nozzle tube onto stuck cases in my die sizing die the brass shrinks faster than the steel usually falls out or sometimes I give it a tap on the bench some times you might have to spray a second time but it works with no damage for me try it what have you got to loose? just don't spray it on skin it'll give frostbite right now!!

Great tip, brass....I think I may pick up a can just in case....I get stuck ones now and then too. I try to stretch my brass usage a bit far sometimes with the old 303 Savage cases....they aren't easy to come by. (or at least they weren't for awhile...now there are some manufactures making brass again). That probably won't stop me from still getting a stuck one now and then.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Do yourself a favor and buy a broken shell remover. These have been around for a very long time. I keep one for the rifle calibers I load most. They are easy to use, just put it in the chamber and close the bolt. Open the bolt and out comes the remover and the broken case.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Use an oversize cleaning brush, remove bolt & enter from breach end.
    Before you exit case, pull it out the breach.

Have done this myself, AntiqueSledMan.

In Remembrance
    Try a rat tail file.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

I've had great success in the past with the cleaning brush method. You need a sturdy rod and a brush that is considerably larger than the cartridge case. An example would be a .45 Cal. rifle brush in a .30 Cal. case. Jam it in and twist the rod to let the bristles get a good bite, and then pull it out while continuing to turn (as much as possible) in the same direction. Also, if you can find a steel rod like a barracks cleaning rod, you can often just slide it down the bore until you feel the edge of the rod (no tip on it) connect with the mouth of the case, and then a slight whack with the palm of your hand will make it fall out.

Boolit Master
    I knew a guy who kept an extended tap in his range box. Would hand thread it in broken brass to pull it out. The only problem he had was when he only thought that the brass had separated and he ended up threading his chamber. We used to kid him about his 20 twist barrel and that was per inch, not foot.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    Try this before you go any route its easy its cheap and has worked everytime for me even to remove case stuck in dies. CRC makes product called freeze spray instantly freezes surfaces to -50c. available at any parts supply, Oriellys pep boys the lot. Part # 74086 I've sprayed it through the nozzle tube onto stuck cases in my die sizing die the brass shrinks faster than the steel usually falls out or sometimes I give it a tap on the bench some times you might have to spray a second time but it works with no damage for me try it what have you got to loose? just don't spray it on skin it'll give frostbite right now!!
    That stuff works suprisingly well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueSledMan View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I have never had a case separate but good knowledge to have.
    Don Verna

Banned

I'll tell you a way. If you have a large assortment of taps you can find a tap that just enters the case. Fine thread is better. Turn a few times to grip the case, then tap out with a cleaning rod.

Boolit Grand Master

Plug the barrel just in front of the chamber, pour in enough cerrosafe to fill the separated casing, let it set 10 minutes and tap it out from muzzle.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Plug the barrel just in front of the chamber, pour in enough cerrosafe to fill the separated casing, let it set 10 minutes and tap it out from muzzle.
    I have been always successful with this method as well. But I like the idea of the freeze spray and if it would work as a first effort I would try it first. I know that the freeze spray can be purchased as a chewing gum remover from carpeted floors.

Boolit Buddy
    Freeze spray and air dusters (for cleaning keyboards) are usually the same stuff. The air duster doesn't have a tube inside going to the bottom of the can to directly spray out the liquid. Holding the air duster can upside down remedies this if you're looking to use it as freeze spray.
    The air duster spray cans are usually easier to find and since they are made in higher quantity - cheaper.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Ok guys I tried using Cerrosafe and got a good looking chamber cast but the forward portion of the casing did not budge. I had cleaned the inside of the brass with spray carb cleaner. Anyone have any more ideas befor I break down and take to gun smith

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    Ok guys I tried using Cerrosafe and got a good looking chamber cast but the forward portion of the casing did not budge. I had cleaned the inside of the brass with spray carb cleaner. Anyone have any more ideas befor I break down and take to gun smith
    Try to find a short length of rubber or plastic tubing that just fits inside the case, a couple of washers, and a long 8-32 (or whatever) screw that fits the front of your cleaning rod. Stack up washer, tubing, washer, on the screw, install it on the front of the rod, stick the assembly into the half-case, and try twisting the rod to tighten the screw and compress the tubing. If you've been living right, the tubing will get fatter and jam in the case. Pull.

Disclaimer: I haven't had to try this myself. Yet. (Well, you did say "ideas".)

Boolit Grand Master

I'd try a chamber cast one more time, dry brush the chamber and broken case and knock out as soon as cool/ solidified. I've removed several for people with a dental pick, make darn sure you are up inside the brass a good distance, dig the tip in and exert some side force to see if you can get any movement, you have to have the hands and nerves of a surgeon.. Broken shell extractors are not very expensive, I've never used one but may be the safest route and cheaper than a smith.
    https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...prod39518.aspx

the 2 reviews for this product leaves me wondering?
    Last edited by swheeler; 05-05-2018 at 10:09 AM.
    Charter Member #148

Banned

Problem with the chamber cast sounds like the cast isn't adhering to the inside of the remainder of the case. We know that the case mouth isn't suppose to touch the end of the chamber, so may if you cast a little deeper so that the cast material fills that void between the case mouth and end of the chamber it may be enough grip to grab the case.

Other then that find a find thread tap (preferably a starter tap) that will just fit the inside of the case and screw it in to get a grip and then see if you can tap the case out with a rod. As long as the tap is much smaller then the chamber you aren't going to hurt anything.

VZ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast