Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tang Vernier Sight for Stevens Favorite

Boolit Bub
    Finally, FINALLY got to the range today. Sunny, not too hot. The new tang sight works like a CHARM. The below are fired at 25 yards from a rest. Note the difference between the Longs and the Shorts. The best group I have is with the 0.860" case. I tried some with .795" cases and they strung horizontally which I would have chalked up to trigger pull, but they always strung horizontally and the shorts and 0.860" cases did no such thing.

First, my best group with 1.7g Bullseye & the 0.860" case. This is a HUGE improvement over the old sight (an older group below, albeit with Trail Boss). The first set is five shots in that same group (the first two on the lower right were sight ins):

This was an older group (Trail Boss) using the original rear sight:

And these are the SHORTS. Clearly, the bullet leap down the chamber is too great a distance to wring prefential accuracy out of the Shorts. I noticed this clear preference to the longer cases in my Favorite the first time I ran my Longs through it (look at the above picture, and then the last picture below)

Given the significant difference I reckon there must be at least one other variable here that's changed (been getting better at loading these heeled bullets, for instance). But I do think a lot of it is that my lousy eyesight just benefits from the peep.

All that said, I think I ran about 50 Long and 50 Shorts through it today. Most of the 32 Shorts, I played around with shooting steel plates and walking targets and it seemed like I couldn't miss. With the last five I tried a plate at 100 yards and actually hit it - once

What REALLY surprised me, was that the little 32 Shorts actually knocked the steel plates down.
    Last edited by NorthCoastBigBore; 06-09-2018 at 12:23 AM.

Well done Paul! See you tomorrow for set up

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12