Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Ruger SuperBlackhawk Bisley rear sight problem

Boolit Master

Ruger SuperBlackhawk Bisley rear sight problem

Would someone who has one of these Lipsey special 3-3/4" bbl'd revolvers please measure the notch in their rear sight and advise of notch width. Mine is .088" and I can't see light bars, yet Ruger insists that they only have 2 blades for the rear sight, a square one and one with the v notch. They sent me the v notch and it doesn't satisfy my needs. HELP
    (The "Ruger guy" didn't know the dimension of their stock rear sight.)
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    If your saying the rear notch is too narrow, use a safe file and open it up. That's how I fix mine.

Thundarstick is dead on, just be careful to keep the sides perpendicular and only remove a little at a time testing as you go! Easy to remove- very hard to put back! Good luck

Boolit Buddy
    I bought an ATI 1911 that I had the same sight problem as you, I could not see light on the sides of the front sight. I put the slide in my mill and widened it out , I think I took out .035 inches that helped a lot.

I have a 4 1/4" barrel and I think I ended up with about a 125 thousanths or 1/8" for my back sight width before I was happy.

You are lucky if you do goof up the sight blade it would be easy to replace.

Good luck go slow , make it just right for you.

Boolit Grand Master

Rear sight notch too narrow......Swiss Needle File.
    I don't have access to machines or fancy CNC Mills , but the proper Swiss file will do the job if you are careful ....don't widen it too much.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I'm guessing, based on the rear sight blade notch width on my KS45N 5.5" Ruger which measures .125", that is prolly the width I need on this 3-3/4" bbl'd gun. If only someone would give me the dimension on their rear sight, I could go back to Ruger and get a guy who will send me the correct sight for my gun.
    I realize I could use my Swiss file set and work on the existing sight, but going from .088" to perhaps .125" is a lot of filing and lots of room for error.

Boolit Master
    Well, I finally broke down and got out my Swiss file set and went to work on the rear blade. I worked on it until I got the desired "light bars" I was looking for. I'm not guaranteeing the perpendicularity of the sides, but at least I now have light bars and the gun is usable. Now, if I could only find a good rubber grip and replace those black shiny pieces of slippery plastic!

if you find any good bisley grips let me know! I do like the stock ones fine, but would like to try other options. only thing I have found so far is hard grips, basically the same grip, but with different stains or colors.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.