MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RedDot in a 30-06

Boolit Master

Yes, it is a load to be respected. You do not want to get in the way of 170 grains of lead moving at 1,300-1,400 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    10 grains of RD, behind a PBCB, out of my Model of 1917 service rifle OR out of the .303 British version "does a job" on called coyotes & other similar size critters & spoils little meat on the edible ones. = In one side & out the other at most any angle.

yours, tex

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't have a 30-06 - YET - but am looking for one just to shoot reduced RD / cast loads from.

I am currently using 8.3 gr of Red under a 120 ish grain cast boolit in my 1905 Danzig GEW98 Mauser and it is way too much fun. I'm only shooting at 25 to 50 yards but it shoots very accurately and with good groups using the standard military sights.

I also used reduced RD loads in my 30-30s and it is equally as much fun. I started playing with the reduced loads when the 22 shortage happened and I haven't shot a 22 since.

Thanks Larry for the info on the possible reduction in headspace with the lighter loads - so far, I haven't had any issues at all with the reduced loads but I'm writing down that sage advice in my reloading notes so I have it.

I don't hunt anymore and being older, I don't like the hammering recoil that some of these rifles can give so the reduced
    RD loads certainly allow for continued fun!

Banned
    bedbugbilly,

Fwiw, C.E. Harris's famous "The Load" works fine in any case from .308WCF & larger, using most any common "shotgun powder", like RD, BD or GD.

As I'm a "well-known cheapskate" (who doesn't like to waste money needlessly & thinks that you cannot kill game "deader than dead"), I'm working on a reduced load for small to medium critters for my rifles that use cases with a capacity less than .308WCF.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    I have found that for plinking loads in almost any rifle the Lee dippers do quite well. If I'm building hunting loads, I'll use my scale....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate69 View Post
    Yes, it is a load to be respected. You do not want to get in the way of 170 grains of lead moving at 1,300-1,400 fps.
    I love telling it in imperial about my 45/70. You don't want to get in the way of an ounce of lead travelling at a thousand miles an hour.

Boolit Bub
    I have used the 13.0 gr of Red Dot, pushing a RCBS 30-150-FP, at 1,630 fps to neatly kill a deer.

Duke

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    Here's a 50 yard group of subsonic loads with the Lee 309-200-R bullet and 6.5g Red Dot

and here's a 100 yard group with 13.3g Titegroup using the Lee 309-170-F bullet. Always that one darn flyer!

I solved that flyer problem by shooting one shot groups But seriously, that’s some fine shooting!
    Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in awhile
    NRA Benefactor 2016

Boolit Mold
    In my 30-06 Howa 24" w/3x9. RCBS 308-200-Sil GC 309. W/Gc , sized with lube 208grs. 13gr of Red Dot went 1850 over cromo. Would do 3" @200ys (most of the time?) -clean shooting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12