WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RedDot in a 30-06

Boolit Master

RedDot in a 30-06

I think everyone recognizes 13 grains of RedDot is a good starting point for any case greater than 7mm per Ed Harris's recommendation. I am playing with a 9 grain RedDot load behind a 170 grain boolit in a Model 1903 and it is grouping well at 100 yards. Very pleasant load to shot. I do not think I have seen where there are issues with reduced loads of fast powders like RedDot but I thought I would run it by the wisdom of the Forum anyway. Does anyone see any potential problems with a light RedDot load?

No problem except too much fun maybe... I'm shooting 10.5 grs with a 175 gr boolit in 8mm Mauser.

Except for the risk of double charging a case, I don't think there's a problem either, P69. Btw, I often use 12.5gr. Unique in my .30-06 with CB's between 175gr. - 203gr.: Very accurate + little recoil and noise.

I have gone as low as 7 grains of fast powder in .06 with a standard weight boolit and no gas check. Loads of fun. I have read that rimless cartridges can get head space issues with very light loads because there is not enough pressure to swell the brass to fit the chamber and ths shoulder could move thus effecting the head space. Never happened to me but that is what I have read.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Pirate69

Only potential problem with lighter loads like that are with the case headspace shortening a small amount with each firing so after 3 - 5 +/- firings misfires or fail to extract can become a problem, especially with push feed actions. If that occurs then well fire formed cases with the flash holes drilled out (#30 - #28 drill) solves the problem.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

They are addictive, is a hazard, going to low has its hazards.
    Oh yah, not getting anymore red dot could be hazardous.
    I found imr red to be slightly better in some loads.
    Be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

If you believe QuickLoad, chamber pressure should be about 17,500 psi and 1,350 fps. A reduced load but not a very light load.

Pistol power and rifle accurate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    6.5 grains of red dot pushing a 100 grain cast .311 boolit was my go to load during the .22 rim fire drought. Great fun out to 50 yds and cheaper than .22's at the time. Still use that load for fun in all my 30 caliber+ rifles.

My favorite bullet for reduced loading is a Lyman 311008 or 311116 GC over Red Dot.

Boolit Master
    I think I use 14 gr. to fireform my 30-06 A.I. with 160 or 170 gr cast. I like putting holes into the target without getting beat up, and enjoy the "deer in the headlights " look on people's faces when the ejected round looks " different."
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned

When I first read about "The Load" years ago, of course, I had to try it.

My opinion is that 13 grains is too hot and ten to eleven grains is a lot better.

Boolit Master
    I have had exactly the experience that Larry Gibson describes above (i.e. shortening cartridges & failure to extract due to rim being too deep for the extractor in a push-feed WinM88 .308), so have done subsequent flash hole enlarging per his recommendation.

Boolit Master

off the beaten path:

I use RD in my reduced 45-70 loads for plinking fun

does raise a few eyebrows when I first start shooting, though
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Oh, thank goodness and richhodg66. I've settled on 10 gr Red Dot in .30-06 and about 8 in .308. I was embarrassed to admit 13 gr was too stout for my pleasure.
    I've sold the rifle, but I if I ever get a .223 bolt gun again, I'll start at 3.5 and a NEI .225" boolit.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    When I first read about "The Load" years ago, of course, I had to try it.
    My opinion is that 13 grains is too hot and ten to eleven grains is a lot better.

Here's a 50 yard group of subsonic loads with the Lee 309-200-R bullet and 6.5g Red Dot

and here's a 100 yard group with 13.3g Titegroup using the Lee 309-170-F bullet. Always that one darn flyer!

Boolit Buddy
    10.5gr RedDot ('cause that's what the scoop throws) and most any cast or jacketed bullet I have around in either the 30-06 or 30-40Krag.
    Even works well with pulled GI FMJ.

Easy on the shoulder and the rifles. Plenty accurate out to 100m which is as far as the range is.

Lots of other powders work as well for this type of loading, but I just happen to have RD around and have used it for many years. Keeps it simple.

Boolit Master

Shot 25 rounds of 170 grainers with 9.2 grains (Lee dipper) RedDot today. Tumble lubed, no GC, no leading. Can't match the groups above but pleased for Model 1903 iron sights. Groups running around 5 inches at 100 yards. More fun than struggling to get my scoped Garand to shoot tight groups. Good medicine for the Garand blues.

Banned
    10 grains of RD, behind a PBCB, out of my Model of 1917 service rifle OR out of the .303 British version "does a job" on called coyotes & other similar size critters & spoils little meat on the edible ones. = In one side & out the other at most any angle.

yours, tex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast