Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cooking to long

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    does it hurt anything? I coated a bunch of bullets yesterday and got distracted and they baked about 45 minutes at 410 degrees. Can you overcook them?
    I baked my first couple batches of bullets at around 450+ degrees till I got an oven thermometer and set the dial on my toaster oven and they shot just fine with no issues. There seems to be a good bit of leeway on time an temperature although now I try to keep things as close to 400 degree for 20 min. as possible.

Banned
    PC and Hi-Tek coating have "off-gassing" (create fumes) when baking. The lead may emit a slight residue also. All manufacturers strongly recommend not to bake boolits in the same oven you bake food in.

Vendor Sponsor

^^^^^
    "PC and Hi-Tek coating have "off-gassing" (create fumes) when baking. The lead may emit a slight residue also. All manufacturers strongly recommend not to bake boolits in the same oven you bake food in."
    Bold for emphasise
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    As cheap as one can buy a really good oven, why take a chance. My last Hamilton Beach Countertop Convection Oven I picked up at a Goodwill Store for $20 and it appeared to have never been used.
    I see free or almost free wall and freestanding ovens just for hauling them away.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Normally I'd tease "No sense of adventure!", but, lead poisoning is "probably" a bad idea!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Normally I'd tease "No sense of adventure!", but, lead poisoning is "probably" a bad idea!
    Or the ingestion of unneeded hydrocarbons in your food. This guy needs to think about what could happen if he hooks up with a hottie that can bake.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't worry about the lead poisoning I would be worrying about what was cooking off from the polymer. Everyone gets upset now about plastic in the microwave and that is way below 400+ degrees. My toaster ovens have a coating on the interior & I regularly have to clean the glass so I can read the thermometer.

I baked HF red coated boolits at 400f for one hour and dumped them into ice water. They passed the hammer test. The Bh went from 11 to 18.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Testing this over-temp/over-time some more, Smoke's red. Pushed temp up to 440F for an hour and WD. Several had some coating 'removed'. I did notice under 20x magnification - alloy has started to 'bubble' out small pimples of alloy. PC definitely missing in those areas. Pb/Sb/Cu only but Pb has lowest melt temp. Tin has lower melt temp. so effect may be worse for those alloys.
    Missing strip is ~ 1/2x1/8 and I didn't find it in the bucket of water, therefore I assume it lost 'grip' on the boolit and snapped like a rubber band. No evidence of tearing of coating but a definite edge where missing. Still smashes fine, can't scrape with my fingernail. No discoloring.
    Conclusion - can't hurt the stuff by cooking until you get over the slump temp of the alloy.
    edit: I was really trying to re-harden some PB for the BO, accuracy went to pot with them. I have been using a hot plate for cooking - evidently didn't get hot enough. So back to the oven until I can rig the plate to the PID. Did the hardness comparison in the vice this morning - dent in the previous, none noticeable in the re-hardened. Have a couple jugs of boolits to redo. Got the K wire, need to get connectors and re-wire the controller. And find a powder that will run them slower so I can use the soft boolits for pig hunting.
    Last edited by popper; 05-10-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    Whatever!

Pic from above test, Didn't find the strip that is missing, some off the base stuck to the NSAF.
    Attachment 220302
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12