WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cooking to long

Banned

cooking to long

does it hurt anything? I coated a bunch of bullets yesterday and got distracted and they baked about 45 minutes at 410 degrees. Can you overcook them?

Boolit Master

I have no idea.
    However, the proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes.
    Load'm and shoot'm to find out.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    My guess is they will be ok. Smash one. If it passes....shoot 'em.

I found that in one of my pistols, it likes harder bullets better so baking for 12 min, sizing, and then baking for another 45 min @425 and then water quenched improved the accuracy a tad. That was with a 95/3/2 (ish) alloy. Didn't make a difference on leading (didn't have any) but did improve groups a tad.

Boolit Master

other than running up your electric bill it's fine.

had some that were a bit darker than other cooked at 20 minutes but that was it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have baked much longer that 10 minutes (after shiny) and did not see any degradation in the coating. Just a bit darker with some colors/powders. But a timer on the oven power is VERY valuable! Saves $$ on you electric bill.

Where did you find an oven without a timer??????????? Everyone I have ever used has either a “ticker” mechanical or digital elecronic timer right up front.

Banger

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I have baked much longer that 10 minutes (after shiny) and did not see any degradation in the coating. Just a bit darker with some colors/powders. But a timer on the oven power is VERY valuable! Saves $$ on you electric bill.

Where did you find an oven without a timer??????????? Everyone I have ever used has either a “ticker” mechanical or digital elecronic timer right up front.

Banger
    as im single, i bake my boolits in the kitchen oven. No timer =)

Banned
    What are you coating them with?

Boolit Master
    Interesting, I've noticed that with Smoke's Jet Black, if I bake for more than about 15 minutes, the coating starts to flake. I haven't had that issue with other powders. No issue if I bake between 7 and 10 minutes.

If it happens, the flaking is immediate, as in before they're cool, not after I've loaded them.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    Being single still means you have to breathe all the fumes from the baking PC which is not recommended! And all your baked food is exposed to the residue left in the oven.

Good luck on that one.

Being single still means you have to breathe all the fumes from the baking PC which is not recommended! And all your baked food is exposed to the residue left in the oven.

Good luck on that one.
    I’ve a good exhast fan . I’m not aware of any residue ? If you think there’s something I should know or I’ll die , please share !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

ive got a kitchen oven out in the barn. Never use the timer because I'm about allways right there when cooking bullets.

Banned

this batch was smokes brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    What are you coating them with?

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve a good exhast fan . I’m not aware of any residue ? If you think there’s something I should know or I’ll die , please share !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well..........every so often I have to take a rag ( or 0000 steel wool) with acetone on it and wipe down the glass door so I can see in. That PC residue covers everything in the oven cavity. And it could get involved with your cooked food? I do not know positively, but I sure do not use anything dealing with casting/coating/baking around my food preparation items!

Just be safe. Invest in a good convection toaster oven and do all your PC baking outside away from your kitchen and eating areas.

We are all fellow travelers to the grave...I just try to make my trip last as long as I can!!!!!!!

banger

I normally cook for an hour. I did cook some over temp for a long time. The PC (smoke's red) seems to stretch with the alloy expansion and then fails when cooled. Just peeled off in strips.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)

Banger
    The Oster toaster oven I bought at Maomart if you turn the timer knob left it is a "stay on" setting.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/f09...d&odnBg=ffffff

That is an "only at maomart" version, but I see target has a similar Oster about same price $39....with that same feature.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master

As long as the boolits don't slump I don't see a problem.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

same as BangerJim with cleaning off residue on oven door. use single edge razor blade but really doesn't matter what you use if it works.

all my cooking is done in PC-specific toaster oven outside. And I try to stay down wind
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Down wind means you are in the fumes cloud, I think you mean up wind or cross wind

Boolit Master

I have done the same as long as the paint stays in place on the bullet you mash all is well . They will darken a bit with some colors and coatings . I saw a picture one guy put online his oven was so hot the bullets melted that was a bit to far .
    It is important to check the actual temperature off you oven one of mine runs up to 650 degrees when set at 400 and set at 200 runs just under 400 degrees.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    What I know is there is limitation to the over bake stability of a powder. Over bake for too long and the finish can become brittle and in some cases the powder can burn, causing a yellow or gold hue to the finish. Over bake stability generally applies to the time spent at temp rather than baking at a higher than specified temp.

As far as what the wiggle room is I don't know because you would have to be powder specific, first knowing the type of polymer and additives before you could ask the question to a polymer physicist. The best advice is get a good thermometer, start your timing after the part reaches the specified cure temperature then cure for the specified time. This is where a timer that shuts down the oven is needed. I haven't found a few extra minutes hurt but as for how many?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast