Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Ideal 358439

Boolit Man

Ideal 358439

A while back i aquired a 358439 without a hp pin. I made a replacement using another molds hp pin as a reference. I am wondering how close i got to factory. Does anyone have this mold that they wouldnt mind measuring the depth from nose to tip on the hp pin?

Boolit Bub
    I think Lyman changed this design slightly over the years it was produced, so the HP depth may not be the same on all molds. Mine is an older mold (no vent lines) and from nose to tip of the HP pin is .409.

Moderator Emeritus

I sent mine back for a pin and recall it measured 0.155" and protruded about 1/3 of the bullet depth.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Some early versions had pins that went back to the crimp groove and these earned a high rep for hunting effectiveness. I recall an old article in either Rifle or Handloader that told of a hunter bringing down a large ruminant (elk, I think) with one shot with the long pin 358439 from a Smith M19. The cylinder length of the 19 featured prominently in the story.

Photo attached with measurements

My mold is an old one purchased in 1960. I is branded "Ideal".

The attached photo with notations should help. In the event my notations are not legible:

1. The tapered end that is discolored from the heat measures .420. I inserted it into a boolit to make sure I was getting an accurate HP depth.

2. The pin dia. before the taper is .157

3. You'll note a slight radius @ the end (very slight).The dia. before that slight radius is .116

4. The length of the stem from the shoulder to the tip is 1.055 (not shown in the photo).

I hope this helps.

Henry

BTW The stem on my molds extends back to the crimp groove: in fact, to the bottom of the crimp groove.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A real sport involves either gasoline or gun powder.....all others are just games
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-040F.JPG  
    Last edited by oldhenry; 05-02-2018 at 12:40 PM.