RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scope 94 win.

Boolit Master

Scrounger;
    Please don't be offended but I can't tell if this is a quiz or a joke.
    If you have ,in hand, a M92 Rossi ,you should see better than I, that the holes don't appear to match up.
    Furthermore the second picture gives no indication that there is slope in the contact surface of the base which will be necessary unless you have a separate block for the dovetail to elevate the base on the front end. which you'd need for a round bbl. I've never been fortunate enough to have an Octagonal bbl to consider. That should simplify things. Is that your bbl?
    Jumping back and forth between receiver mounted scopes and scout scopes can make for confusion in the discussions.
    Are you trying to decide between a scout vs, receiver mounted scope?
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    FWIW, I had one of the Redfield M\94 IER steel mounts NIB with a rear sight FS a while back in the swoppin' part. Still have it if it is needed. Thoughts always turn to the 30-30 as deer season comes, eh? BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

I can look at my receiver, I can't line up an actual mount to compare holes. No quiz, no joke. Guess I'm just not as perceptive as you...

Hey crossxsticks, the mount was a Kwik-Site #KS-W94 as shown here:
    http://www.kwiksitecorp.com/p-284-ks-w94.aspx
    The cool thing about these mounts is the base and ring halves are machined from one piece of metal. I'm not a fan of the offset mount but this is a quality unit made in the U.S. Still don't know if it will work for your application but its another alternative to the B Square unit.
    Last edited by kingstrider; 09-13-2008 at 05:29 AM.
    Keep moving forward!

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    Here's my win94. with scope

I used to have this gun. Never seen it with a scope though. I like it!

Boolit Man
    Kingstrider , thanks , it does look like a good .

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    The Quick-sight was a good mount also. It fit the 94 without drilling or tapping by replacing three action screws on the left side of the action with 3 screws Quick-site provided with the mount.. It worked very nicely with something like a K-4 Weaver. BvT

Thanks Scrounger......for the bump. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Man
    If you want to go with a conventional eye releaf scope, I have a medium miles Williams base and rings (some scratches and may need some screws) that I would be happy to trade. They are windage adjustable on the front ring and position the tube left of the bore to clear ejection. For glass I like the Leupold VX 2 1X4 on my Marlin. Great field of wiew in the thickies.

Boolit Bub
    Cross stix i have a pre 64 winchester mod 94 that my dad left me i looked into puting a scope on it the gun smith told me if you put a scope on it you will ruin the value of the gun I never herd that before so up to preasent i still have not put a scope on it, has anyone heard of anything like that i could see if they had to drill holes in the gun etc that that would bring down the value of it

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    This is a hotly discussed subject in many places. You'll get a lot of grief from NON shooters who just can't bear to see a scope mounted on a LA Winchester.
    Pepe Ray
    So sorry Collector ! If it was so important you should have bought it before me. I am a shooter. Every shooter who ever figured out a way to make his (her) firearm better for their personal NEED did so... I can see a Trooper sitting in the swamp in Cuba saying.. OH.. one day this will be a collectors piece so I should not file off that sharp corner... You want a scope on that Winny... have at it. Any collector wants to bad mouth you ..send them on down and IŽll show then some REAL modifications they can scream about. This is AMERICA ! Home of the FREE! The Constitution sure does not say "Persuit of Life Liberty and Freedom "if it does not offend the Collectors". I may not like a scope on a Winny but hey that Winny is not mine.
    Oh by the way... when ya send the Collectors down... could ya put a couple packs of large pistol primers in their bag..

Boolit Buddy
    spurrit,
    I'm with you on the B-Square. I've had several of their mounts, flimsy pieces of crap. The second mount they sent me for my HK is much more solid, but NOT quick-detachable. The Ithaca 37 mount was awful, so I fabbed spacers to fit between the mount and the receiver. After that I quit buying their stuff.

Bob K

I traded for this 94AE a few weeks ago and had a Weaver V3 laying around so added the Leupold bases. I'm not a big fan of large scopes on a lever action rifle but small scopes like this one are ideal for the ranges I typically hunt.

Keep moving forward!

FWIW - Regarding unconventional scoping of top-ejecting Winchester-type leverguns:

1) The XS LeverScout mount for the Winchester 94 will fit ANY Model 94 OR Model 92 (Win/Rossi/whatever) that has it's rear sight dovetail approx 4" forward of the front of the receiver (for the front base/rail anchor).
    The XS rail will then need two holes D/T'd atop the front receiver ring inline with the bore to anchor the rear end of the rail.

2) Some Rossi Model 92's ( Puma/LSI/BrazTech/whatever) are D/T'd along the barrel top, UNDER the rear sight's longleaf, for Rossi's scout scope mount - but if a particular M92 or M94' barrel isn't D/T'd, it's a simple matter to do so after buying a Rossi Scout mount from their parts dept.

3) A very small, assault-rifle-type scope, like the Beeman SS!, can be mounted atop the rear half of ANY Model 92/94's bolt via D/T the bolt for a small scope base from a 2-piece scope base set meant for a rifle like the BAR.
    The scope will travel with the bolt as it is cycled, ergo the need for a small/light scope.

4) Hard to find today, a few companies used to make single point bases, which held a handgun scope at either the rear dovetail slot, the rear barrel band, or clamped to the barrel between the front sight and the forend tip.

Last edited by pietro; 06-10-2010 at 04:55 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I have a handful of odd redfield bases that look like they will fit on the barrel for a scout mount. somewhere around here I think I have a williams side mount for the 94. I have a collection of the weaver side mounts and bases, also. I think the williams has the holes for the peep sight holes. Daryl

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by crossxsticks View Post
    I got a pre 64 , 94 win 30-30 and to blind to shoot 100 with peep lol has anyone put a scope on one of these old guns , was thinking about pistol scope sit in front of action on barrel , info on what to use in way of mount and scope i would appreciate . thanks in advance.
    I just got this pre 64 in .32 Win Spl and it's a Redding scope (I think). It works pretty good.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.

Thumbs up 94 scopes

I have a couple of 94 AEs. I mounted 2x Weaver pistol scope on the 444 a number of years ago and I liked it a bunch. Mount was the XS Scout mount. Got it thru Brownell's. When I got the 30-30 Trapper I ordered out another XS mount. They are simple to get on an Angle Eject model as long as the "middle" sight is 4 inches away from the action. I had to rework the mount on the 444 cause the dovetail wasn't according to Hoyle. (Too close to the action.) With the older 94s you'd have to D&T the receiver ring. I didn't have any trouble getting the Weaver sighted in. The 2x pistol scope had a focus length that worked well on this set-up. The variables wouldn't work. They had to be too far forward for a sight picture. So far I'm pleased with the Weaver & the XS. Have a Burris on a bolt action. Very fine scope. Haven't decided what to put on the 30-30 Trapper.

As far as FAST goes. It's a lot faster than I am. Helice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12