WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Encore 223

Encore 223

Have a 24 inch barrel coming. Lee 225 55 grain 6 hole mold. Dies disc and die holder for my progressive press.

Been thinkin this over for long enough now so will put rubber to road and see what is possible.

Anybody have helpfull hints, suggestions or experience with this cal/case for cast boolits and maybe both sub sonic as well as 1500 to 1800 FPS loads

Thanks all.

Can't believe I'm plowing a virgin field here. Anybody?

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 23" Contender that I have shot specially prepared 55gr boolits at over 3,600 fps. Accuracy was around 2" at 100 yards. Better accuracy was 2,700 fps. Very easy to get 2K fps out of the 223 with cast.
    I use linotype because it fills the cavities so much better and for the highest velocity I heat treat them and coat with HT with Hornady gas checks. Be picky about any defects in these small boolits. I weigh them to 1/4gr plus or minus if I am going for the best accuracy.

Surprises me a bit. Thought for sure folks woulda been doing this for awhile now. My intentions are to develope 22 LR and 22 MAG performance in the 223 case with a bit heavier boolit so as to have more stability in wind making it buck the wind better then either rim fire cartridges do.

Cast and tumble lubed a bunch Sat and boy are they dinky. Hope this endeavor will work.

Boolit Buddy
    You have my curiosity piqued. How did they shoot?

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Using a Lyman bullet and RCBS bullet that weighs about what yours does I've use 3.2 od Bullseye and 4.2 of 700X . Adjust length to most accurate and have fun .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I have 16"- 21" and 23" in the Contender. In the Encore I have a 15"- 24" and 26" all 223 barrels. My favorite is the 15" Encore barrel with Lyman 225462 or the Noe copy of the RCBS 55 gr. sized to 226 with carnuba red or LBT Blue. I like Unique or 2400 for powder but have messed with Red Dot, Green Dot, 700X, and SR7625.