Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: WTB 5x5x3/8" Steel plate

In Remembrance

Cool WTB 5x5x3/8" Steel plate

Title pretty much sums it up. Right now I'm using a wooden box to set my indicator on to indicate things on my small lathe. Just looking for a couple of steel plates to rest my indicator on to sit between the ways since that box I'm using isn't what you could call flat by any means.

So if you have a couple of steel 5x5 plates doing nothing nows the chance to give them a new home. 3/8 or 1/2 thick though.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Actually I think you want cold rolled bar stock -- or alum tooling plate --
    Hot rolled plate is about as rough as wood --
    A decent substitute for metal may be 3/4 MDF --- it is generally flat and smooth -
    Now that i am retired finding small bits of stock is really difficult -- the shop scrap bin is no longer available!!!!

Boolit Bub

WTB 5x5x3/8" Steel plate

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    Title pretty much sums it up. Right now I'm using a wooden box to set my indicator on to indicate things on my small lathe. Just looking for a couple of steel plates to rest my indicator on to sit between the ways since that box I'm using isn't what you could call flat by any means.

So if you have a couple of steel 5x5 plates doing nothing nows the chance to give them a new home. 3/8 or 1/2 thick though.
    I have lots of steel plate in these sizes mostly a bit thicker though. if you give me a few days I can look for one. I can surface them on the vmc if you like.

I also have alluminum in these sizes.

Boolit Master

Pavogrande is right on. You want cold rolled at a minimum. Flat ground tool steel stock would be even better, but awful pricy. Steel is ideal as you can use a magnetic indicator setup. Stop by a local machine shop and see if they have some short drops. Steel warehouse would have something for sure. Shop I retired from had lots of stuff like that, but unfortunately they closed up in December, otherwise I'd send you some. Sorry I can't help out.

Frosted Boolits

I normally set my mag base indicator on the compound rest or the cross slide. Then you can move the entire saddle to get the indicator right where you want it. I will look to see if I have a scrap piece for you.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavogrande View Post
    Actually I think you want cold rolled bar stock -- or alum tooling plate --
    Hot rolled plate is about as rough as wood --
    A decent substitute for metal may be 3/4 MDF --- it is generally flat and smooth -
    Now that i am retired finding small bits of stock is really difficult -- the shop scrap bin is no longer available!!!!
    With asking folks, I wasn't going to be all that picky if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post
    I have lots of steel plate in these sizes mostly a bit thicker though. if you give me a few days I can look for one. I can surface them on the vmc if you like.

I also have alluminum in these sizes.
    Aluminum I want to stay away from, worked in aerospace for 27yrs and the stuff dings to easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    Pavogrande is right on. You want cold rolled at a minimum. Flat ground tool steel stock would be even better, but awful pricy. Steel is ideal as you can use a magnetic indicator setup. Stop by a local machine shop and see if they have some short drops. Steel warehouse would have something for sure. Shop I retired from had lots of stuff like that, but unfortunately they closed up in December, otherwise I'd send you some. Sorry I can't help out.
    I don't use a mag base, although I have 1 my lathe isn't all that big.

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    I normally set my mag base indicator on the compound rest or the cross slide. Then you can move the entire saddle to get the indicator right where you want it. I will look to see if I have a scrap piece for you.
    I'm kinda shy on room with my machine, tried different things different ways, and I still go back to using that wooden box to set my indicator on. And with the way I do things I use a .00005 indicator.

EDIT: With as remote as I live I think I know of 1 shop somewhat local (100mi round trip). Easier for me to ask for it here.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master

On the small machines we made a mount that slide in the lantern style tool posts or clamped in the aloris style tooling. for use at the chuck. On the other end we sat a piece 3/4X3 X16" across the pan and used it it was heavy enough to be stable and worked well. If I had to indicate both ends of a part I used 2 indicators, one on each end together this allowed me to work both together with only one set up.

ADMIN

Matt, let me go to work tomorrow and see what we have laying around.

Cold roll is more of a precise dimension
    As far as hot roll being rough like a piece of wood I would beg to differ.
    I would guess that last week I physically touched over 10K pounds of hot roll steel.
    Yes the edges aren't as smooth.
    I will know that I have a piece of 3/4 hot roll that I can saw to 5x5

Keep in mind that I am not talking I-beams or angle as I would say that I messed with over 100K pounds of those last week.
    I was talking plate or flat bar.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    Matt, let me go to work tomorrow and see what we have laying around.

Cold roll is more of a precise dimension
    As far as hot roll being rough like a piece of wood I would beg to differ.
    I would guess that last week I physically touched over 10K pounds of hot roll steel.
    Yes the edges aren't as smooth.
    I will know that I have a piece of 3/4 hot roll that I can saw to 5x5

Keep in mind that I am not talking I-beams or angle as I would say that I messed with over 100K pounds of those last week.
    I was talking plate or flat bar.
    Got me beat I probably shredded only about 20 pounds of aluminum.

Hatch -- you are absolutely correct -- HR plate is relatively smooth, my mind was on HR bar stock my fingers on plate --

Do a search for granite indicator stand, under $30, 6x6x2 piece of granite may give you what you want.

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pro...iABEgKIIPD_BwE

This is one version, there are multiple versions from the usual suspects in the industrial supply world.

Boolit Master
    If you would like, I have a piece of granite 4 3/4 X 6 X 1 1/4 I can send you.

Moderator Emeritus

GRUMPA, this is coincidental timing.

Last week, as I spent several days smelting lead misc scrap and COWWs...while waiting for the melt, I was also cleaning the garage (not finished yet). I have two buckets of 'drops' from a laser CNC from a jobsite that I use to work at. I haven't touched these buckets for a few years and are in the way. I had started looking through one of them, to pic out a few choice pieces to keep, and then recycle the bulk of it.

anyway, as shown in the photo is a few 4.5" x 5.0" pieces of 3/8" steel (I don't know what type?) but since it was cut with laser, it's as flat as it gets. If this/these works for you, it's yours for postage.

there are other sizes, but most of the others are 1/4" thick...some stainless.

Attachment 219499
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    GRUMPA, this is coincidental timing.

Last week, as I spent several days smelting lead misc scrap and COWWs...while waiting for the melt, I was also cleaning the garage (not finished yet). I have two buckets of 'drops' from a laser CNC from a jobsite that I use to work at. I haven't touched these buckets for a few years and are in the way. I had started looking through one of them, to pic out a few choice pieces to keep, and then recycle the bulk of it.

anyway, as shown in the photo is a few 4.5" x 5.0" pieces of 3/8" steel (I don't know what type?) but since it was cut with laser, it's as flat as it gets. If this/these works for you, it's yours for postage.

there are other sizes, but most of the others are 1/4" thick...some stainless.

Attachment 219499
    That about does it right there, something n the scrap bucket the owner has no use for, giving something a second life as I call it. I'll PM you about those in a short.

This thread will now be locked.... And thank you folks for all the comments and effort....Matt

Annealing Services