Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought the original cordless drill...

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a nice old drill! I remember seeing one like it in my Grandfathers shop as a kid.

Boolit Master

I always linger at flea markets and antique shops when I see those old hand drills or any well-made antique tool. I got lucky a few years ago and grabbed a large hand drill for only $14, as it had one tooth missing on the large wheel. Was no problem to make a couple of quick small beads on it with my flux core welder and dremel the extra metal off until I had a new tooth. It hangs in my garage, and I'm happy to have it though I've only used it once i think. If I see a brace drill at a decent price, I will grab it too.
    Bulldogger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Wow. I haven't seen a pair of safety wire pliers since I got out of the Navy in 1971. Brings back memories!
    retread, Is that what they are? Pray tell us, what are they used for? I spent 37 years in the phone company and I don't remember ever seeing a pair of those before. I also spent three years in the Navy and didn't see them there either. Of course I spent all my time on the boats in San Diego.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Saftey wire pliers are still much in use today especially in the aircraft and racing world. The current Marine Corps General tool box includes a pair as standard issue for some of the ground equipment. There are probably a bunch of videos on U-tuB on the pliers in action.

Long story short the pliers clamp onto the two ends of a wire loop and when the handle is pulled the wire is tightly twisted. Fasteners can be connected or tied off to a solid part to minimize loosening in high stress applications and provide a visual reference that the fasteners are still tight.

I still have a pair and have used the wire/twisting for quick low pressure hose clamps or to Frankenstein together plastic bumpers after repeated contacts with high curbs. They also work well as small vice grips for thin parts.

Attachment 219598

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the explanation. I have had those for years with no idea what they were used for.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lead-1 View Post
    It has the original shoulder thing that goes up, hope no one bans them drills. We had those in woodshop class back in the late 70's, our teacher wanted us to use some manual tools like those drills, hand planes, chisels and and cabinet scrapers.
    In reality they wanted everyone to finish the year with all their fingers, lol.
    My shop teacher was missing a thumb. It was a great reminder
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I have had those for years with no idea what they were used for.
    Your not the only one. Thanks for the explanation
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

We call them,eggbeaters.A "brace" is different.Look up brace and bit.

Boolit Master
    Gopher slayer needs to go into spokeshaves. That is just the tool you need to make axe handles from a pretty inexpensive piece of ash, hickory or even oak. eBay really is a priceless resource. On it I found a replacement for the blade cracked from the side to one of the adjustment holes, for the Stanley all-metal spokeshave I inherited from my father in 1953.

I won't be buying an axe any time soon, but every few years I re-handle the little one we found lost in the back of a closet in a house we moved into in 1959. But on eBay there is a seller in Bulgaria, of all places, who makes reproductions of old broadaxes etc. So often in those countries they say "We joined the European Community,, so how come we aren't rich yet?" But a few of them have got it made doing things of value. Well, assuming they know there is something besides mild steel, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    It’s called a brace
    Look up breast drill, that is what this is.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a few braces. Some need repairs. Some were my fathers.
    I remember him using them before he got an electric drill.
    Also when he needed to make big holes.
    I've used them a few times.
    They do work very well.

Boolit Master
    Collectors who will stand tools on a shelf forever are the greatest enemies of those who want to renovate them and use them the way they were intended. Over and over again, as with muzzle-loading firearms, we see just how well those people knew the technology at their disposal.

I would have to agree with that, BIS. If a tool or implement etc. is too far gone to use, yeah, hang it up as a decoration/conversation piece.
    But if it is still functional, use it or pass it on. Just my thinking.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Collectors who will stand tools on a shelf forever are the greatest enemies of those who want to renovate them and use them the way they were intended. Over and over again, as with muzzle-loading firearms, we see just how well those people knew the technology at their disposal.
    So now I'm a bad person for appreciating the beauty and quality of a 100yr old tool by using it as decor? LOL.

Didn't think I'd be called an "enemy" for finding an old tool in an antique shop and actually liking it... But this is the internet so I suppose I should be used to the most random comments.
    Last edited by Idaho45guy; 05-07-2018 at 07:49 AM.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    So now I'm a bad person for appreciating the beauty and quality of a 100yr old tool by using it as decor?

Didn't think I'd be called an "enemy" for finding an old tool in an antique shop and actually liking it... But this is the internet so I suppose I should be used to the most random insults.
    As an old tool user (ie galoot) I am sometimes discouraged by the fact that the value of old tools is driven up by collector demand. In many ways it is becoming more and more difficult to learn about old tools because good examples are hoarded away in collections and those for sale are priced beyond the reach of many.

Now I’m a capitalist so I accept this as the way of the world. I rejoice in my good fortune when I find something I need at a fair or better price, and I bemoan that things are not always as I would have them. You found something you like, enjoy it however you want, you don’t owe anyone jack squat.

Just my $.02

Boolit Master

I amended my comment to reflect the light-heartedness in which I took the previous posts. I don't really think anyone was trying to insult me for appreciating the beauty and quality of antique tools.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Saftey wire pliers are still much in use today especially in the aircraft and racing world. The current Marine Corps General tool box includes a pair as standard issue for some of the ground equipment. There are probably a bunch of videos on U-tuB on the pliers in action.

Long story short the pliers clamp onto the two ends of a wire loop and when the handle is pulled the wire is tightly twisted. Fasteners can be connected or tied off to a solid part to minimize loosening in high stress applications and provide a visual reference that the fasteners are still tight.

I still have a pair and have used the wire/twisting for quick low pressure hose clamps or to Frankenstein together plastic bumpers after repeated contacts with high curbs. They also work well as small vice grips for thin parts.

Attachment 219598
    A good safety wire job is a thing of beauty, almost like art. It also requires a bit of thought. I've never done it but I've been around aircraft enough to appreciate a good job.

Boolit Master
    I don't want to hijack the OP thread on safety wire pliers, there is probably enough interest for a stand alone post. I may start one tonight...
    Last edited by metricmonkeywrench; 05-08-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12