MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman thermometer

Boolit Grand Master

The lyman thermometer and some others may not be dead on but as a comparative reading its okay. If your casting good bullets and the lyman is reading 725* then 725* at the next session is what you need/want. My lyman thermometer is used in this manner not as a dessive temp but as whats needed to be the same session to session.

Lyman ladles are good and work well. I have lyman rcbs and rowel ladles I use. The lyman and rcbs get the spouts opened up to .210 dia usually for a faster pour. The rowel is already large enough. The lyman is the smallest of the 3 and on my 2 cavity 550 grn mould holds enough for it. The rcbs is a little bigger and slightly different shape with a rib on the bottom. The roel is a #1 that holds a pound of alloy, A good ladle but due to spout desihn dosnt allow for pressure pouring. I cast with several 2 cavity moulds and have modified a rcbs to a double spout with the spacing centerline of the moulds. Really speeds things up filling both cavities at the same time. One pour 2 bullets. Also the alloy hasn't cooled any between the 2 cavities.

Boolit Master
    Thermometers are like ampmeters, if you got one it’s all good but get another then you get off readings. As long as they are close it really doesn’t mater that much. When your casting and watching temps you will notice temps just change quicker and you see pid working to keep temp where you have it set. They sure make it easier to deal with adding ingots, start with near melting point on hot plate and hot Moulds things go a lot better.

Boolit Bub
    tell tru from n.y. I just bought 1. right at 30 bucks
    I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16

Boolit Master

I think mine is way off.... but it is consistent. I use it more as a reference mark than a no **** measure. Pot needs to be at 900* to cast good bullets.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12