Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman thermometer

Boolit Mold

Lyman thermometer

Hello
    This is my first post on here and I’m glad to be apart of this forum to learn about casting. My first question is how do the Lyman thermometers and their ladles perform?Ive got a Lee pro pot and I don’t have a way to check the temperature. Thanks

Lyman thermometer

I've had two lyman thermometers and it was only after buying a digital thermometer that I discovered just how bad they are.
    One was consistently out by 60 degrees through its entire useable range.
    The other was better at lower temperature but by the time it got to the 600-700 range it was over 100 under reading.
    A digital thermometer and probe thermocouple off eBay would be about half the cost and removes any doubt on accuracy.

Lyman ladles however are excellent. I have one that was passed on to me by a friend who purchased it in the fifties. I originally had a Lee ladle which was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fred2892; 04-28-2018 at 05:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum. Fred2892 hit the nail on the head.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks

Moderator Emeritus

Before I started using a PID, I used a Lyman thermometer and, of course, I thought it was accurate.
    After I started using the PID, I did a comparison (assuming my PID is accurate?) the Lyman read about 15º hotter ...so it turns out that while the Lyman thermometer wasn't accurate, it is was handy as it gave me a number to reference, as long as the Lyman could repeat the reading (and I assume it did).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    The dial type thermometer I have was obtained from Brownell's.I also have a Lyman digital thermometer and a Lyman Mag25 pot with PID.They all read within a degree or two of each other.If you want the dial type I would buy the one Brownell's sells.They are sold for use with bluing salts as well as lead.The Lyman digital is nice but you may have to call Lyman for a replacement.The thermocouples on some of them have the wires crossed at assembly.Lyman will replace the thermometer at no cost with a phone call.Replacement thermocouples can be found on EBay to repair the bad thermometer since Lyman doesn't want them back.

Boolit Master
    I use a tel-tru thermometer with a 8 in probe , it's quite useful - when cooking down coww also , as well as in the casting pot .

Boolit Master
    The Lyman dipper works great until you have a 4 banger mold dropping 300+gn boolits. Then I would use the RCBS model as it is a larger capacity. I have both and the RCBS gets my nod for all uses.

Boolit Master

I own two Lyman dial thermometers and a calibrated PID pot. I cannot recommend the Lyman dial thermometers. They do not agree with each other, or the pot.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

wouldn't go back to a casting thermometer since I built my PIDs
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

There have been several post about Lyman's thermometers being wrong. I have a RCBS and a Tel-True and they both differ a little from the readout on my PID. Not as much as the Lyman and not really enough to make any difference, but maybe 20º or so.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i heard bad things about lyman so i went with rcbs for therm. but use lyman ladles.

Boolit Mold
    I had a Tel-tru dial thermometer that I'd always used and thought was accurate. When I switched to a PID I found out the Tel-tru read about 60 degrees cooler than the PID.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Lyman casting ladles = GOOOOD

Lyman Thermometer = BAAAAAD

And NEVER us an IR gun to measure shiny sufaces. They just do not like them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fred2892 View Post
    I've had two lyman thermometers and it was only after buying a digital thermometer that I discovered just how bad they are.
    One was consistently out by 60 degrees through its entire useable range.
    The other was better at lower temperature but by the time it got to the 600-700 range it was over 100 under reading.
    A digital thermometer and probe thermocouple off eBay would be about half the cost and removes any doubt on accuracy.

Lyman ladles however are excellent. I have one that was passed on to me by a friend who purchased it in the fifties. I originally had a Lee ladle which was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I bought one of those things one time because it was on sale. I think it is still in it's original package somewhere around here. I think you are being kind with your description.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Bullet View Post
    I had a Tel-tru dial thermometer that I'd always used and thought was accurate. When I switched to a PID I found out the Tel-tru read about 60 degrees cooler than the PID.
    That Tel-Tru can be adjusted. Did a lot of informal testing with several TC's, a couple different PID's and a VOM and as all those readings agreed within a degree or two decided they were accurate enough to reset the Tel-Tru. Just hold the nut on back and twist the dial head. Might be a little off I suppose but mine was off about as far as your's and it pretty close now.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master

I have an RCBS that's about 3yrs old, another from N.O.E. with a 8" probe. The N.O.E. faceplate cracked somehow, but they still read within 15degrees of each other. I bought a LYMAN digital last year. The three rarely vary by more then 20degrees from each other. I think in today's market you pays your money and you take your chances. They all come from china so unless you want to spend a fortune on AMERICAN QUALITY that's your choice.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Mold
    My Lyman thermometer seems to work very well!

Banned
    Some of the older lyman thermometers are "adjustable" by gripping the probe and twisting the head to get them close to where the should be.
    started building PID's and never looked back. I will occasionally stick a lyman thermometer in a smelting pot to keep the alloy under zinc temperatures 787.2°F

Boolit Grand Master

I use 2 Lyman thermometers in my Mag20 when casting. As the alloy level drops the temp will also change. All bottom pour pots do that with Lee pots changing the most. A PID measures the temp of the pot in one spot, not the alloy itself and can give a false reading as to the actual temp of the alloy.

One Lyman thermometer is longer than the other which measures the temp of the bottom half of the alloy in the pot. The shorter thermometer measures the temp of the alloy in the top half. I have calibrated both thermometers in boiling water and they are easily adjusted to match each other. When casting I add more alloy when the thermometers are measuring +10 degrees difference from each other. Takes a few minutes for temp to come back up and even out.

It really doesn't matter if the thermometer is absolutely correct or not as to the exact temperature. It is simply a measurement and as long as you keep the alloy temp reading on the thermometer the same (+/- a bit) where you are casting good bullets it doesn't matter if the thermometer is off from the actual temp just as long as it is consistent.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 06-29-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast