Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defensive gun use

Boolit Master
    well done
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Good thread

It is important that we think scenarios through ahead of an event. It is not the obvious events that require this but the boarderline ones, maybe like the one Mary faced, that we need to focus on. And domestic violence can be a very tough one to consider.

For me, screaming and yelling are not cause to get involved....even if I know one party has a restraining order. Shoving and pushing is also a non-starter. Not saying I am right...just the way I look at it.

One thing for sure, once you put a weapon in your hands, you need to have already made the decision you are OK with killing someone. Not everyone is wired that way...especially if they do not know the victim very well or at all.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Super Moderator

Here in Arizona, it is a right to carry state. Concealed carry is a right with no permit required, and OPEN carry is perfectly legal for anyone legally allowed to own a gun. If I have a gun on my hip, and tell the neighbor to stop pushing his wife around it is NOT illegal and not considered to be threatening him. The mere presence of a firearm is a proven crime deterrent. Good for you Mary, for standing up for your neighbor and playing your cards right.

Moderator Emeritus

My neighbor in no way wanted him there. And he was physically assaulting her by pushing and shoving hard enough she went down once. She went with the dude for a month then dumped him and wants nothing to do with his sorry butt!

Sheriff took a statement form me, said he doubted I would have to testify since my neighbor swore out a statement too saying she wanted zero to do with him. She is not one for a lot of drama... has a 12 year old daughter and doesn't need the garbage in her life. Her first husband is still on a friends basis with her... no restraining order needed, he was over today doing some house repair for her... they divorced over some medical thing...

Boolit Buddy

Good on you mary. We have far to many that stand by and watch or record it and do nothing. good on you

Boolit Master

DVs are the worst.

Was driving out of Yakima, WA with my wife and kids in the car when I see a Toyota Tacoma pulled over on the side of the road and a big Mexican dude pushing a little Mexican gal around the outside of the truck.

Called 911 and reported it. They seemed none too concerned...

It WAS Yakima, which is infamous for it's high number of illegal aliens and the typical crimes involved with that group of folks.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Sounds like Mary responded perfectly. It is a hard decision but I always remember the old saying .....”Evil triumphs when good men(and women) do nothing!” Be smart, diligent and watch you six.

Domestic violence,

Man o' man, that's never an easy one and it's always a gamble getting caught up in one. Risky to both your health and freedom if not handled with extreme caution.

Over the past 10 years or so there seems to be a major escalation of domestic violence. Drugs being the #1 factor in my opinion. It's so bad in my area half the time it's the woman that started the assault. Of course a man has the option of walking away, but they're usually on the same mental level as the woman by that point.

Another thing I have noticed, is much like dealing in real estate, location, location, location. What may be 'okay' in some areas of the country, isn't in others regardless of what was taking place when you entered into the situation. I hope to never find myself involved in the situation of being torn between getting involved or not again when it comes to domestic assaults.

Restraining orders are a good thing when used properly. Once issued, follow them to the letter of the law, period. I've known of a few going to their grave who failed to follow one and their intended victim had zero legal issues once the smoke cleared.

Law enforcement officers, I feel for to no end who get called to a domestic disturbance. One I knew personally had a unique way of deescalating a domestic violence call. If the couple wasn't actually fighting when he arrived, he'd take the female to the side and tell her "Look, before I go talk to him. You do realize I may have to kill that SOB right?". Amazing how quickly two people can decide to play nice when he'd do that.

All in all, we're all different. How one deals with such a situation vs another is a debate there is no end to. Let your conscience be your guide and may God be on your side when you're face to face with it.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    MaryB, sounds just right. It's bad when people cannot help their neighbor, for fear of being engulfed in a "situation", sounds like your neighbor dated a bad piece of work & sanely wants them gone, & you did your part right.

Murphy, that's a good strategy really, tho the down side is that we humans can still love someone who is toxic as all get out for us, but not love their behavior AT ALL. People get conflicted and that can mess them up, if the officer said that in the wrong situation she could end up abused or worse. I know of a horrid situation locally, that gal's ex needs to be behind bars, she still cares tho; If the guy is a really bad piece of work, it's bad for her to have that caring for him reinforced in any way. It'd be near impossible to know what to do as a LEO, that's one tough job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12