Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: 7mm br bore out

Boolit Buddy

7mm br bore out

I was looking at a Remington xp100 in 7mm br and was wanting to know if was able to bore it out to 7-08 rem /7x57 mauser or 284 win 7 br bass is not available anymore and do not want to go to the bother of making it

Boolit Master

Call this no# 419 636 7994 He's open now until 9:00 pm.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

You could absolutely rechamber it to 7mm-O8 with no problems. The 7x57 is a tad long for the XP100. I had one and never shot it because ammo or brass hadn't been introduced yet! Remington goofed there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I don't think that either a 7X57 or 7-08 reamer would clean up a 7BR chamber. The 7BR has less case body taper than the 7-08. The BR case is about 2-3 thousanths larger diameter than a 7-08 case if you measure where the 7BR case shoulder would be when compared alongside a 7-08. The 284 reamer would clean up the BR chamber but I would be concerned about how much barrel would be left if you went that route. The original 7BR barrel looses diameter rather quickly just ahead of the 7BR chamber.

Boolit Master
    I have a xp that has been re-chambered from 7 BR to 7-08. It was done before I purchased it and basically I purchased it for just the action. A lot of the BR's were rechambered to 7-08 in the silhouette days because originally you had to make brass for it or guys were having a hard time knocking down rams, latter Remington introduced factory brass. You can see slight waves in the chamber on mine but not bad. New 7mmBR brass has just about dried up but you can still find some or 1x fired from the IHMSA shooters and BR dies that have retired. If your a hunter and only fire 20 rounds a year re-chambering might be an option. If it was me I don't think I could justify the expense, I would just screw on a new barrel. The 7-08 will have more recoil and factory barrels are so skinny at the muzzle its hard to put a brake on them. The XP's are fantastic shooters. http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums

I still have my 7mm BR XP-100 as factory chambered. I did want a 7BR chambered rifle but wound up with a 7-08 due to costs and just down load that round. I wouldn’t rechamber my 7mm BR XP though.

What’s your goal and what would you take for your XP as it sits? Send me a PM.

There is not much effort required to "make" 7mm BR cases. Just buy 6mm BR cases and load them using your 7mm BR dies. Lube the cases inside and out with Imperial Sizing Die Wax, run them through your 7mm BR FL die, and voilà, you have 7mm BR cases. I have yet to lose a case in this process, and it is just as easy as starting with 7mm BR cases in the first place. The only caveat is, use new cases, not cases that were previously fired.

My 7mm BR XP100 is awesomely accurate. It shoots the Sierra 120 grain Game King bullet and the 130 grain Sierra 7mm Pistol bullet (no longer available, but I laid in a supply when they were) at 2400 fps, which is completely adequate to my needs. I practice with the 120 grain bullet, and hunt with the 130 grain bullet. They shoot to the same point of aim. I see no need for re-chambering to 7mm-08.
    Last edited by Tatume; 04-28-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    You can see slight waves in the chamber on mine but not bad. [/url]
    Those waves are likely the result of not being able to fully clean up the 7BR chamber with the 7-08 reamer because of the case taper differences that I mentioned in my previous post. Necking up the 6BR brass is the route that many 7BR shooters are using now. As far as rechambering, perhaps a 7-08 Improved reamer may get the job done. I still shoot my factory 7BR quite a bit but I have squirreled away a good supply of brass. Given the situation presented by the OP, if it were me, I'd form some brass from 6BR cases which are available. It ain't cheap, but would be cheaper than rechambering.