Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Question for those who know

Boolit Master

Question for those who know

A while back I picked up some Federal Hulls, factory slug loads, roll crimped. Blue in color, straight wall (.025 thick), approx 12mm high brass and have what appears to a brown paper/fiber basewad.

Question is are these OK to use with Federal load data? I was hoping to use these for loading Buck Shot, RB and SLUGS.

What say those who know best.....

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, but only with top gun or paper base load data, not gold medal or .090" basewad.

Boolit Master

Don't know that I've ever seen blue Federal 12 ga hulls. Cut one of them down to the brass and make sure about the composition of the basewad. Whatever it turns out to be they can probably be reloaded with the right data and components.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Here's some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180427_185406.jpg   20180427_185353.jpg   20180427_185337.jpg  
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master

I've seen 'em now, thanks! There is plenty of loading data for the paper base federals. You're gonna have to condition the hulls to relax the factory roll crimp. Anything round that will barely fit in the hull spun around to create a little heat will do it, then roll crimp again. Something tapered is best. I use one of the huge salt water fishing stoppers! Good luck!
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I've seen 'em now, thanks! There is plenty of loading data for the paper base federals. You're gonna have to condition the hulls to relax the factory roll crimp. Anything round that will barely fit in the hull spun around to create a little heat will do it, then roll crimp again. Something tapered is best. I use one of the huge salt water fishing stoppers! Good luck!
    I have and old paper shell conditioner, that gets plugged in. I was leery of trying that, on plastic hulls.
    Scott

Boolit Master
    All Federal 12 gauge slug loads in the LE line have blue hulls to visually differentiate slug cartridges from buckshot.

See:

https://www.gtdist.com/products/guns...lug-2-3-4.html

First baby blue federal hull I have seen. Federal slug hulls I have are reddish purple and don't like to be roll crimped a second time unless you trim off the factory crimp. Be advised if I have trouble roll crimping a hull the problem is usually me, not the hull. Patience may be a virtue, but it ain't one of my virtues.

BB

Boolit Master

I've loaded a few dummy rounds using my Lyman Easy Loader, it's set up to roll crimp. My dummy rounds seem to hold the crimp
    Scott

Boolit Master

Like me BB, I suspect the last store bought shotgun shell you purchased was in the '70's! Those are mighty stylish though...maybe we need to get out more.
    Leonard Ravenhill

I believe those are made by Rio. I know they produce a number of Federal hulls now. The plant is actually located in east texas where I do a lot of hog hunting.

Boolit Master
    Like me BB, I suspect the last store bought shotgun shell you purchased was in the '70's! Those are mighty stylish though...maybe we need to get out more.
    Nothing wrong with factory loaded shells ! From time to time I’ll have someone stop by the shop with cases of shotgun shells usually 12 or 20 that dad or grand dad had when he passed usually stuff from the 70’s to 90’s . And usually if they don’t look horrendous I’ll pick them up for 2-4 bucks a box . Every so often someone brings in 16’s and of course I jump on them as well , mostly so I have more 16 gauge hulls . I suspect between the 10 12 16 20 28 and 410 I have somewhere around 35-50 thousand hulls . Could use about 500 new 10 gauge but other then that I’m pretty flush . Think I have around 2000 once fired 28’s and perhaps 3-4000 once fired 410’s , that oughtta be enough to get me thru this life LOL’s !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Paw ain't gonna like it if we git store bought.

BB