MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Double Action Revolvers

Boolit Buddy

Ruger Double Action Revolvers

Never owned anything but Smith & Wesson double action revolvers so I would like some advice. Having re-read the outstanding revolver post from Outpost I am considering a Ruger now. How does the GP100 3" compare with the discontinued Speed Six and Police Service Six (primarily 38 Special +P loads) ? Thank you all.

rick

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Having owned both, I will say the Six series is a better choice if you are mostly shooting +P's. The GP is heavy and thick even for .357 use. I personally think the Six has a better trigger pull and the skinny wood grips actually feel really good to me. My 1988 Service Six .38 is one of the last guns I would ever part with. If you are willing to consider something other than Smith or Ruger, Rossi makes some very nice wheelguns at excellent prices.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I don't like the overall size/weight of the GP series. That said.....they are hell for stout, will last way past my shooting life. I really do like the long discontinued "six" series, Security, Service and Speed. I like "K" frame sized revolvers and the GP doesn't fit. Just my opinion and worth exactly what anyone pays to hear it. Good guns; all!!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In looking for a Security Six, Speed Six or Service six, the very best ones are those having a 161- serial number prefix or later, which were produced after completion of the transition from Mil-I-45208 to Mil-Q-9858A inspection standards (post June 1984.)
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-27-2018 at 03:05 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In looking for a Security Six, Speed Six or Service six, the very best ones are those having a 161- serial number prefix or later, as they were produced after completion of the transition from Mil-I-45208 to Mil-Q-9858A inspection standards, (post June 1984.) The US Customs and Border Patrol, RCMP, French Police and India Police service sixes were the best revolvers that Ruger has ever made.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I saw news footage of Indian police carrying Service Sixes during the Mumbai terrorist attacks. They are probably still in service.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    In looking for a Security Six, Speed Six or Service six, the very best ones are those having a 161- serial number prefix or later, as they were produced after completion of the transition from Mil-I-45208 to Mil-Q-9858A inspection standards, (post June 1984.) The US Customs and Border Patrol, RCMP, French Police and India Police service sixes were the best revolvers that Ruger has ever made.
    I have a 151 Speed Six, a 156 Service Six and a 161 Security Six. Now I just wish I could find a gunsmith that would do a great action job on them! Seems nobody wants to work on the older Rugers, just the GPs.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I have a 151 Speed Six, a 156 Service Six and a 161 Security Six. Now I just wish I could find a gunsmith that would do a great action job on them! Seems nobody wants to work on the older Rugers, just the GPs.
    I also have a 151 pre fix service six,, Would not part with it for nothing. I reckon the gun smith wont touch them cause they're discontinued ,, just a guess ; )
    H/D

Boolit Master
    I'm a S&W guy for the most part, but I do like the slimmer "Six" series guns. I have run into a particularly bad example, a 6" Security Six, so be aware they are not all peaches. They made clunkers just like every other company, so a good pre-buy check is always best.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbeaux View Post
    Never owned anything but Smith & Wesson double action revolvers so I would like some advice. Having re-read the outstanding revolver post from Outpost I am considering a Ruger now. How does the GP100 3" compare with the discontinued Speed Six and Police Service Six (primarily 38 Special +P loads) ? Thank you all.

rick
    I cannot approach the level of knowledge that Outpost75 possess but in reference to the Ruger Speed-Six, Police Service-Six and GP-100; I do have a fairly extensive knowledge base.

The GP-100 was introduced in 1985 and the DA "Six" series were discontinued in 1988; so there was a little bit of overlap between those series. The GP-100 is essentially Ruger's response to Smith & Wesson's "L" frame series (581, 586, 681 & 686) BUT the GP-100 also replaced the "Six" series revolvers after 1988.

The Police Service-Six and the Speed-Six are essentially the same guns with different grip frames (Service-Six has a square butt profile and the Speed-Six has a round butt profile). So beyond barrel lengths and grip profiles, there are not a lot of differences between the Service-Six and Speed-Six. That brings us to the differences between the Six series and the GP-100 series.

The GP-100 is based on the Six series but is an entirely new design. (peg style grip frame, crane lock, non-rotating extractor rod, different lock work, thicker cylinder, heavier barrel profile, etc.) Both the GP-100 and the older Six series are excellent guns. Ruger produced approximately 1.5 million "Six" series DA revolvers and Ruger is still making the GP-100. Both designs are strong and durable. Both designs are more than strong enough to handle a steady diet of 38 Special +P loads. The GP-100 is a bit larger overall when compared to the older Six series.

In 3" barrel lengths the GP-100 with its thick profile full lug barrel, slightly larger cylinder and peg grip frame will just about equal the slightly slimmer 2 3/4" Speed-Six in terms of weight.

Attachment 219420
    3" GPNY and 2 3/4" Speed-Six

They are both excellent guns and more than capable of handling all of the 38 Special +P loads you care to put through them.

To answer the OP's question, How do they compare?
    I would say the Six series is a bit thinner overall but they are both outstanding DA revolvers.

In practice, I consider the "Six" series to be Ruger's version of a super strong S&W K-frame and the GP-100 to be comparable to a S&W L frame.

Boolit Master
    Just remember that Roger does not have parts any longer. That’s why mine doesn’t go out as often.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Banned
    Ruger doesn't support the DA Six series anymore but those guns seldom break and there are lots of used parts available on the open market.
    Ruger does support the GP-100 series.

Boolit Master
    First,, to the OP. The "Six" series of Ruger DA revolvers are excellent. BUT,,, so is the GP series. I have owned several Six series guns for decades. Never saw the "need" for a GP. Yet,, I wrapped my paw around a GP-100 Match Champion,,,and WOW was it nice. I had shot other Gp's in the past,,, but this one just "fit." I now own a couple of Gp's and all my Six series too. Oh, and BTW; Ruger has announced the new GP-100 MC in 10 mm. Guess I'll be adding another one!
    My point being,,, BOTH are good, so get what fits YOU! And remember,,, a different set of grips can make a big difference,,, either good or bad.

Wayne; A good gunsmith for the Six series is "RoninPa" a Ruger Forum member, a member here,, and he also collects & uses them a lot. If you can't find him, PM me & I'll put you in touch with him.

Parts for the Six series; Rarely do you need any, but they are still easily found.

Boolit Master
    Teddy Jacobsen in Sugar Land, Tx works on them.

It's a shame that Ruger dropped the six series, but hey S&W still makes the K frame.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    Teddy Jacobsen in Sugar Land, Tx works on them.
    At one point I thought he wasn't going to make it much longer but he's still alive. His gunsmithing operations have ceased now that hes's constantly in and out of the hospital.

Boolit Bub
    Ruger has some newer half lug GPs on their website now. I’d imagine that would help the balance. That said, I love my GP-100, but prefer the six series grips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master

I have a 151 Security Six and if the 161 is better, it sure must be one masterful piece of weaponry!!!...

I bought my 151 (top pic) sometime in the early 70’s, post-Uncle Sam, and I have no idea how many rounds have been fired through it. Thousands and thousands for sure. Many times when I go to my range to shoot some other project, I carry this ol’ Six and fire a couple of cylinders out of it just for something to do…

The other one is a GP-100 in the same 357 Magnum cartridge. It’s a 171 series. Got that one from my dad before his passing in ’12. Haven’t really shot it much, but just yesterday I was thinking about putting some 358429’s through it in the near future—if we ever get any acceptable weather…

Of the several other Rugers I own, the 151 Security Six is my favorite…

Good-luck…BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_3512.jpg  

Ruger makes fine revolvers but I shoot DA exclusively and the narrow trigger and shorter trigger radius or curve is not suitable for for my fingers. So if you have large hands and shoot DA only I suggest that you go to a range where you can fire one and try 100 rounds DA.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JMax View Post
    Ruger makes fine revolvers but I shoot DA exclusively and the narrow trigger and shorter trigger radius or curve is not suitable for for my fingers. So if you have large hands and shoot DA only I suggest that you go to a range where you can fire one and try 100 rounds DA.
    If you notice on my Security Six (top handgun) I have the trigger taped with electrician's tape. It does help to widen it a bit, plus I don't get "stung" from the trigger. I don't know what makes the trigger cause abrasion on my index finger, but it does. Might be the grooves in it...

BCB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast