Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed's red storage

Single Malt Scotch bottle with a cork.

Stu
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Boolit Master

I’ve been making Ed’s Red for many years and used to store it in two gallon gas can. Now I use old ring neck A&W root beer jugs. They are thick and heavy and easy to pore from when moving it to old Hoppes brown bottles. Naturally I relabel the jugs.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I store mine in a 1 gallon metal paint can, it seals very tight and have not had an issue with evaporation. I also took a 1lb coffee can that I cut out the bottom with a can opener, I then took a 4” hose clamp and fit a piece of aluminum screen, like in your home windows and clamped it to the bottom of the can. It’s really nice for cleaning small parts. I don’t loose them in the bottom of the 1 gallon can.

Boolit Master
    I keep a little 10 oz glass bottle in the house , every time my wife looks at it she says it looks delicious .

Boolit Master
    I don't use the acetone since I don't need to clean out plastic very often.
    I rarely use this as gun cleaner but use a lot of it as penetrating oil.
    I store it in a plastic jug that windshield washer fluid came in. I go thru a jug pretty quick but refill it back. No problems so far.
    I do add a 1 gallon mix of synthetic chain saw oil. I call it Ed's and Woody's purple.

The more I use it the more impressed I am with this stuff.

Also, this stuff also works great as a gun cleaner!
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    Fluid Film contains lanolin. Has anyone added Fluid Film to the Ed's Red mix?

Ed's red has two main items going for it. #1 it is a darn good gun cleaner that works and will leave a fine film that helps to prevent rust on the firearm. #2 is the price. Around 20 bucks to make a gallon of it. Which is a tremendous savings when compared to the price of a small bottle of Hoppe's #9 or any other over priced gun cleaner.

Wolfer, How do you go through that much? I’ve had the same gallon for two years, I’ve cleaned and serviced a lot of my and my friends stuff with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    I don't use the acetone since I don't need to clean out plastic very often.
    I rarely use this as gun cleaner but use a lot of it as penetrating oil.
    I store it in a plastic jug that windshield washer fluid came in. I go thru a jug pretty quick but refill it back. No problems so far.
    I do add a 1 gallon mix of synthetic chain saw oil. I call it Ed's and Woody's purple.

The more I use it the more impressed I am with this stuff.

Also, this stuff also works great as a gun cleaner!
    What the is the quantity of the chainsaw oil added and the quantity of the other ingredients.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have read of one guy who stores it in a 30 cal GI ammo can.
    After a trip to the range, he strips his pistol down and just dunks it into the ammo can.
    I don't know how the acetone works with the gasket though.

Banned

I'm about at the end of the gallon I made a while back. I omitted the lanolin. As I understand it, the lanolin is simply a protectant and you can accomplish the same thing by oiling whatever you clean with it afterwards, is that correct?

What is the purpose of the chain saw oil addition?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    There are two kinds of people. Those who have dropped and broke a glass jar of something, and those who will.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in another lifetime I used gallon jugs made of brown glass to hold photographic chemicals for the darkroom. I’m thinking if I could keep them from contacting concrete floors unexpectedly one of those would be ideal. The metal cans in which we used to get the copy fluid for spirit masters at school would probably work well too, but I haven’t used one of those copiers since 1983! guess I’ll have to check the darkest recesses of my old basement and see what’s still there.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    As to how I go thru so much. I work in construction and carry a squirt can in my truck. If it squeaks I hose it down. I don't have a shop. My lathe, drill press, grinder etc set under an overhang. A blowing rain has everything wet. I hose it all.

My ratio is like everyone else's pretty much. When my 1 gallon jug gets pretty low I add a quart of dexron, a quart of K1 and a quart of mineral spirits.

I add the synthetic chain saw oil just because I feel it's a good lubricant. Kind of like washing your action with skidoo gas when hunting in extreme cold.

The first batch I ever made was only dexron and mineral spirits. I didn't have any kerosene. I called it Ed's pink since it wasn't complete. It still worked pretty good though.

Boolit Master

I've been using Ed's Red for many years. I normally make it without acetone since I don't shoot shotguns and so don't have to contend with plastic wad material in the barrel. I've always been satisfied with it's performance.

A few years ago I ran across another recipe for homemade bore cleaner. It was devised by Steve Hurst, who I think is a member of this board. He called it "Steve's Squeeze. I had to try it. I can't tell the difference but my use doesn't begin to challenge either it or Ed's Red. To differentiate between the two, I used Marvel Mystery Oil instead of ATF. It gives it a different red color than ATF. He also recommended using LLA for rust protection, 4 oz. per gallon. I did the same but made a smaller amount, about a pint with a similar reduction in the LLA. Haven't had any reason to doubt its effectiveness in preventing rust.

Found it on this board:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...recipe-s/page3 Post #55

I apparently posted in that thread back in 2010.
    Last edited by alamogunr; 04-29-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    John
    W.TN

In Remembrance

I have some stored in a 1 qt. plastic ATF bottle, not sure which type of plastic it is but it has held the Ed's Red for over two years now with no problems.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all who answered guys. I only mixed up a quart since I didn't have a suitable gallon container. This stuff works better on carbon fowling than anything I've used yet, and does seem to creep under leading to make removal easier and quicker. Don't want to even know how much I've spent through the years on 6 to 8 dollar four oz. bottles of solvent that haven't worked half as well!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    I have been using Ed's Red for about 10 years and I delete using the acetone in the mix. It stills does a great job of gun cleaning without the acetone. If you use the acetone in the mix, you should use a metal container with a screw on lid to prevent the acetone from evaporating. Acetone will damage the finish on wood gun stocks and should be kept off the stock.
    I also use a hand spray bottle for the Ed's red and spray the cleaner on handgun parts and watch the carbon just flow off the part. use a toothbrush to further clean the part, spray again and use compressed air to blow excess off the part and wipe down. Really speeds up the cleaning of handguns.
    I agree with Knifemaker. Skip the acetone since you really dont need it in there. I've been using Ed's Red around the house as WD40 replacement with great success. I cant believe how much WD40 costs these days anyway its close to $5 for decent size can. So instead I use Ed's Red and save my money.

Boolit Master
    Is Ed's Red thin enough to spray in a spray bottle?
    Thanks Aaron

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joatmon View Post
    Is Ed's Red thin enough to spray in a spray bottle?
    Thanks Aaron
    I would say so. It's pretty thin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast