Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed's red storage

Boolit Mold

Ed's red storage

I went out and got all the ingredients to make Ed's red bore cleaner, though I didn't have a container for mixing / storage. So, while I was out, I picked up a 1 gal plastic gas container. Only thinking of it after I had gotten back, I looked at the bottom of the container only to find the HDPE marking which was cautioned against in the Ed's red article. My question is, is anyone using this type of container successfully, or am I going to have all of the acetone evaporate from the mixture? Or even worse yet, discover down the road that the acetone has attacked and melted the container leaving a big mess. What kind of containers are folks using for storage? Do I have to fight with the wife to obtain some quart canning jars?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use an old Coleman fuel can. Do NOT store it in jars.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I store mine in an old 1 gallon steel paint thinner can.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    METAL can, PETE or PVC plastic containers are OK for short term use, not for storage.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I never checked the material but I stored Ed's Red in a large grape juice bottle for about 5 years before I read that that would lead to a catastrophe. By that time I had a couple of empty gallon solvent cans. I guess I was just lucky.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    used Hoppes #9 bottles

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by slugflinger View Post
    Do I have to fight with the wife to obtain some quart canning jars?
    The paint dept. of your hardware store or Home Depot store has clean empty gal paint cans. I used that years ago.
    Even better, I like the idea of the Coleman fuel can. Funnel to get it in but much easier than a paint can for discharging. Next batch I may try that. A gallon lasted me a decade or more, twice. I am about to make the third batch.

You may or may not want to get the stuff out of the barrel with a tight dry patch before the first shot of a BPCR match. That would depend on your experience and if you shoot PP or GG bullets. I am still checking to see how important I think this is.
    Chill Wills

Moderator Emeritus

I re-use steel solvent containers (one quart size). The "Seafoam" cans are a nice size (16 oz) for the reloading bench.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

What is wrong with Jars? I've used a mason jar with a foil lid to keep it from eating the seal for a year so far?
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

I use a gal glass pickle jar but I do like the idea of a Coleman fuel can and while we are talking about ED'S RED can someone please put the formula on here I can not find mine anywhere thank you D Crockett

Boolit Master
    1 part Dexron atf, 1 part mineral spirits, 1 part acetone, 1 part kerosene.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    What is wrong with Jars? I've used a mason jar with a foil lid to keep it from eating the seal for a year so far?
    I think only that they break. I have used a small baby food jar and a small re-labeled Hoppes #9 bottle too for the at range or hunting camp kit.
    BTW - great avatar! Who is she?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by D Crockett View Post
    I use a gal glass pickle jar but I do like the idea of a Coleman fuel can and while we are talking about ED'S RED can someone please put the formula on here I can not find mine anywhere thank you D Crockett
    http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm bookmark this for the formula as well as some other info of perhaps some interest. Disclosure: this is not my page, just a bookmark I find useful at times...
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D Crockett View Post
    Here ya go:
    ---------------------------------
    Ed's Red Bore Cleaner
    1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits
    CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

MIXING INSTRUCTIONS:

Mix outdoors, in good ventilation. Use a clean 1 gallon metal, chemical-resistant, heavy gage PET or PVC plastic container. NFPA approved plastic gasoline storage containers are OK. Do NOT use HDPE, which is permeable, because the acetone will slowly evaporate. Acetone in ER will attack HDPE over time, causing the container to collapse, making a heck of a mess!

Add the ATF first. Use the empty container to measure the otherainer to measure the other components, so that it is thoroughly rinsed. If you incorporate the lanolin into the mixture, melt this carefully in a double boiler, taking precautions against fire. Pour the melted lanolin it into a larger container, rinsing the lanolin container with the bore cleaner mix, and stirring until it is all dissolved. I recommend diverting up to 4 ozs. per quart of the 50-50 ATF/kerosene mix to use as "ER-compatible" gun oil. This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the remaining mix.

For more info, and there "is" more info, see source below:

Source:http://castbulletassoc.org/blog/arti...-red-revisited

======================

I use old metal mineral spirits containers in the gallon size & quart size.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I think only that they break. I have used a small baby food jar and a small re-labeled Hoppes #9 bottle too for the at range or hunting camp kit.
    BTW - great avatar! Who is she?
    Michelle Viscusi
    https://www.google.com/search?client....0._49nBvZWw5c
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Small plastic Coke bottle ,1/2 ATF, 1/2 kerosene. ATF is lube soap and Kerosene is lube solvent. Acetone is for plastics as is the mineral spirits (shotgun wads, etc.).
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Small plastic Coke bottle ,1/2 ATF, 1/2 kerosene. ATF is lube soap and Kerosene is lube solvent. Acetone is for plastics as is the mineral spirits (shotgun wads, etc.).
    What cuts the carbon?
    Chill Wills

I have been using Ed's Red for about 10 years and I delete using the acetone in the mix. It stills does a great job of gun cleaning without the acetone. If you use the acetone in the mix, you should use a metal container with a screw on lid to prevent the acetone from evaporating. Acetone will damage the finish on wood gun stocks and should be kept off the stock.
    I also use a hand spray bottle for the Ed's red and spray the cleaner on handgun parts and watch the carbon just flow off the part. use a toothbrush to further clean the part, spray again and use compressed air to blow excess off the part and wipe down. Really speeds up the cleaning of handguns.

Banned

I've kept mine in a coleman fuel can but keep maybe a half quart in a glass bottle with a tight screw on lid. What's the problem with storing it in glass?

You probably also know that a 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone is supposedly one of the best penetrants.

This is taken from the Garage Journal site:

For all of you that are mechanically inclined..... Penetrating Oils Compared A study done by Machinist's Workshop magazine in their April 2007 issue looked at different penetrating oils to see which one did the best job of removing a rusted bolt by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt once treated. If the study was scientifically accurate, it turns out a home brew works best! Here's the summary of the test results:

Penetrating oil .......... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ............ 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............... 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.............53 pounds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast